Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 03:53 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times

Advertisements

We seem to have lots of folks that post here in the LV forum and was wondering how many of you hike the nearby mountains?
Hiking is my # 1 past time and is one of the best ways to get and stay in shape.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 01:17 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
We seem to have lots of folks that post here in the LV forum and was wondering how many of you hike the nearby mountains?
Hiking is my # 1 past time and is one of the best ways to get and stay in shape.....
My wife and I were pretty into hiking and backpacking for many years. Now there are health issues preventing anything but level ground walking at low altitudes. Our best and most strenuous was Phantom Ranch. Our highest and most dangerous one was probably Palisade Glacier. We got close to the 14,000 foot elevation, but didn't have crampons for the glacier itself. Longest in one day is probably to just below Charleston Peak and back. The Peak is 18 miles R/T, so I'd say we did at least 15 or 16. Running out of daylight, we had to turn back, and as it was, made it back to the car just after dark. We did overnighters in the meadow on top several times and made it to the peak at least once. We've done a lot of Mt. Charleston and Red Rock Canyon Hikes. I miss that and skiing more than anything else. We did Wheeler Peak in Great Basin a couple of times, and some other hikes up there. Did the Wheeler Peak six months after open heart surgery. It's 13,065 feet but you start at about 10,000 so it doesn't take as long as Charleston. The funnest (is that a word?) was probably Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite, about 14 miles R/T. High altitude but relatively level hiking in the one of most beautiful places on earth. Tuolumne Meadows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-27-2009, 04:34 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
I have been told by many people to take a hike. Does that count?

Old 11-27-2009, 03:54 PM

208 posts, read 350,453 times
I love to hike. My wife and I spent a week in Vegas back in June and I made it a point to hike Mt Charleston. I usually hike the Adirondacks in NY, so it was nice to hike something so different. The tallest Mt in NY is somewhere around 5300ft...so Mt Charleston was a must do. In NY the hikes start at around 1000ft and you hit the tree line/alpine zone at around 4700-4800...in NV the hike started at something like 7600ft and I dont think you hit the tree line till 10,000ft or so. I actually ended up getting a little altitude sickness...noticed my fingers were swelled up to the point that I couldn't so much as turn my wedding ring.

Both beautiful in their own ways...so I couldnt agree more, great way to spend a day and get some exercise at the same time.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:10 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,356 times
The kids, dogs, and I have just started 'baby' hiking. We've been taking short trips to the park at Mountains Edge and climbing that little hill 1x/wk. We went with the Boy Scouts to Red Rock this past spring, but I'd rather do hiking in cooler weather. It's fun to take an hour or so and just get some deep breathing going on. <<< That's not me shocked. That's me after hiking!

Old 11-28-2009, 03:05 PM

here's one of the biggest hiking groups in the country! Very active and very friendly.

www.meetup.com/vegashikers

We not only go to Red Rock and Mt Charleston but places such as Death Valley, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon, Snow Canyon and points beyond. All levels from beginners to highly advanced

Last edited by WildWestDude; 11-28-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 01:23 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
I will say the area does have some GREAT hiking and outdoor recreation in general. From beginner to the hardcore folks there is some absolutely awesome stuff and the best thing is its all available year round!!! One can even drive off road from the Lake Mead recreational area all the way to the Grand Canyon...most likely not something for the faint at heart but I think if it was well planned (basically the ONLY way to do it) it would be an amazing experience. I have it on my list as one of the things I really want to do one day.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 AM

Yah, LV was voted as the best place in the US to live for outdoor activities. Within some 200 miles you can find what most people never dreamed about.
Best way is to join a group so you can get more motivated and get hiking in your system. Once you do that, you won't want to stop. Way better than going to the gym.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
One can even drive off road from the Lake Mead recreational area all the way to the Grand Canyon...most likely not something for the faint at heart but I think if it was well planned (basically the ONLY way to do it) it would be an amazing experience. I have it on my list as one of the things I really want to do one day.
I've done some of that route out of Bunkerville but not all the way in that direction. I was amazed at the scenery down that way. And I did the 60 mile dirt road from near Colorado City all the way to Toroweap. Both are experiences I'd recommend, but only if you have an off road vehicle with good tires. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBAQ9QEwAw

Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
We went hiking at Red Rock Canyon on Friday, it was just gorgeous! Packed a lunch, plenty of Gatorade and enjoyed the scenery. Left at 9am came home about 2:30pm. Did some easy and not so easy trails, actually I worked up a sweat, the workout is fantastic!

Has taken two days now for me to recover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas