Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:57 PM

30 posts, read 160,899 times

Advertisements

So, as everyone who seems to start a new thread, I am planning to move to Las Vegas. HOWEVER! Unlike everyone else it seems, I am a 22 year old college student. I currently live in Kentucky (WHICH IS THE DUMPS!!) and I need to get out of here before I go crazy. I am originally from Southern California and I would never go back, a little to crazy for me. I would like to go to UNLV either for Geology or teaching. Many have said the schools suck in Las Vegas but they are offering one heck of deal for out of state teachers to come to the area. I dont have any kids, no real plans. I would be working a CitiCards (Citibank, whatever you guys call it) with my boyfriend, together I would say we would make...45k or so? Citibank is located in The Lakes, which everyone says it a fairly nice area, but with a one bedroom being 780...ehh. So, what do you think? Am I Las Vegas material?

I understand this question has been asked numerous times, but no one mentions anything about "The Lakes" ? Is it bad lol? Too pricy?

Last edited by SandraDee; 05-18-2007 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: More to add...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 04:45 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Hey SandraDee, weren't you married to Bobby Darren?

I don't know why people never mention The Lakes, or Peccole Ranch, or Desert Shores, all nice areas. Maybe we all just think of those places as part of Summerlin, even though they really aren't.

Mo'lady has a very good job at Citigroup, and she likes to take walks around that neighborhood during lunch breaks. The lake is just a block from the building. It's a really nice facility and the homes in The Lakes are nice too, especially the mansions right on the lake. Lots of shopping, movie theater, and restaurants nearby.

However, when Citicorp, as it was called then, was getting ready to open, some jerk in New York suddenly realized that they were putting a hugh credit card facility in...gasp...Las Vegas. I guess we aren't stoggy enough for bankers (who tend to get caught gambling here a lot btw), so the city kowtowed and let them use The Lakes, Nevada, as their address. The P.O. even gave them their own zip code. My reply was if they felt that way about my hometown they could take a hike. Glad they didn't though; they're paying my mortgage now.

If you are from SoCal you'll fit right in here. Las Vegas schools don't suck any more than any other schools suck today. I think that if you get your masters you'll make about 45K teaching...I think.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:58 PM

Well I am glad to hear that, at this point, I am happy to just be getting out of Kentucky! When I am on the phones with our cardmembers, (the nice ones who arnt yelling at me!) and I see they are from Las Vegas they tell me that they really enjoy it, only in the forums do I see people complaining about it. I guess the people who are happy with it are out enjoying it and the ones that hate it have nothing better to do than to complain about it huh? =)

I am also excited about being able to eat at Jack in the Box and Del Taco again! Yum. Yes, the East Coast has White Castle and Krystals but it isnt all it is cracked up to be. AND excited being that I am a Geology major about Red Rock Canyons and the Grand Canyon, and being so close to the River and Lake Mead and 5 hours from the beach. Like A couple people have said, 110 degree dry heat sounds better than 90 heat with 40% humidity, and with there being no blood sucking flying insects there either, it sounds like heaven.

Just a lot of people talking about the priciness to live in Las Vegas, Citigroup isnt giving me a cost of living increase in pay soo... I think it will be managable. If anything else, from what I hear, I will be able to visit with family I havent seen in ages...as they sleep on my couch lol.

Last edited by SandraDee; 05-18-2007 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: More

Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,776 times
You will love The Lakes. It's a really nice area and close enough to the strip that you don't feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.

You should check out the school district's website for job opportunities.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:33 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraDee View Post
Well I am glad to hear that, at this point, I am happy to just be getting out of Kentucky! When I am on the phones with our cardmembers, (the nice ones who arnt yelling at me!) and I see they are from Las Vegas they tell me that they really enjoy it, only in the forums do I see people complaining about it. I guess the people who are happy with it are out enjoying it and the ones that hate it have nothing better to do than to complain about it huh? =)

I am also excited about being able to eat at Jack in the Box and Del Taco again! Yum. Yes, the East Coast has White Castle and Krystals but it isnt all it is cracked up to be. AND excited being that I am a Geology major about Red Rock Canyons and the Grand Canyon, and being so close to the River and Lake Mead and 5 hours from the beach. Like A couple people have said, 110 degree dry heat sounds better than 90 heat with 40% humidity, and with there being no blood sucking flying insects there either, it sounds like heaven.

Just a lot of people talking about the priciness to live in Las Vegas, Citigroup isnt giving me a cost of living increase in pay soo... I think it will be managable. If anything else, from what I hear, I will be able to visit with family I havent seen in ages...as they sleep on my couch lol.
Like I said, it's what we DON'T have here that makes it all worthwhile...we don't have humidity, fleas, tornados, mudslides, hurricanes, you almost never see a mosquito, (did I spell that right?), bears, allegators, rain or snow (hardly any), cloudy days (over 300 days of sunshine), or stupid laws that punish and restrict every aspect of life.

You should plan to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. It's an overnight trip and you'll need to make reservations to stay overnight at the bottom at Phantom Ranch, but think of all the "schist" that you'll be walking through to get there. Lots of fun for a geologist.

Yeppers, 110º and 8% humidity beats the heck out of 80º and 80% humidity. And you will discover a lot of friends that you didn't know you had that are dying to come see you when you live here.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You should plan to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. It's an overnight trip and you'll need to make reservations to stay overnight at the bottom at Phantom Ranch, but think of all the "schist" that you'll be walking through to get there. Lots of fun for a geologist.

lol lol It makes me laugh that you say that, that is a Geologist favorite thing to say "Holy Schist, that is gneiss!" or "Geologist know what makes the bedrock" or "All my faults are normal"

So I did a bit more searching, what is with the "North Las Vegas Terminal"? A bus terminal, an airport terminal? If so, why so far from McCaran?

Also, doing a search, found this map

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/sanrakee1/LasVegas.gif (broken link)

I would think the nicer places, which would also be close to Citigroup and walmart ( I love that place! ) Would be either Summerlin, The Lakes, or West, no? There are some nice apartment deals in the West area, a lot of Decatur Blvd, the south side, it that still a fairly safe and decent area?

Between the two of us, we will have 2800 a month, just two people, in a one bedroom...does that seem reasonable? How much are the utilities in Las Vegas? Like...$100 for electric, $40 for water/sewage, maybe a deal for like $100 for cable/phone/internet? I am super thrilled at the fact my insurance will go down $200 a month by moving! Absolutely, "For the best car insurance rates in town, call 1-800-General NOW!"

I am sorry for the mass amounts of questions, I am one of those people that want to know everything about everything or else it drives me crazy! Thanks again!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:52 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,776 times
I like the area around Sahara/Decatur, but it is more urban than The Lakes or Summerlin. If you like your neighborhood more on the quiet side, then consider living west of Rainbow. But since you're young, you might want a little more excitement. UNLV is closer to the strip and the college bars. There are better deals on apartments around there, but also negatives like more homeless/crime/etc.

I preferred to live near the campus when I went to school, just because it really helps your social life to be around more young people and all the action. If you live out in a lilly white suburb, you end up just going home and missing all the fun! Don't let the paranoids on this site lead you to believe that Maryland Pkwy. is a third world country!

I would budget a little more for Power, especially during the summer months. Gas prices are way past $3 a gallon here too.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:00 PM

I see. Yeah I dont wanna be in the middle of anything but I dont want to be secluded either, just a happy median. I am coming from Kentucky, and it is about 40 minutes from downtown Cincinnati and I would never go there by myself and never even with a Cincinnati native at night, maybe it is just the scared white girl in me, I dont know lol. I just want to be able to walk out of my apartment to my car and maybe an occasional walk without worrying who is out side wondering/loitering waiting for some defenseless gal, you know? A big difference is going to be here in Kentucky, I dont even have to lock my door at night you know? lol

The electric then, like 150 during the summer and then 100 in the winter? How much is gas there right now? Here, gas is about 3.09, however a week ago it got up to 3.29 then within a couple of days, 2.99, but the average is 3.09.

I am going to drive out there when I move so I am not going to be taking much, no much can fit in a two door Honda Civic, am I going to have trouble trying to find a bed/furniture sorta stuff in Las Vegas? I dont need Ethan Allen furniture, but I dont want super beat up furniture. I just want middle class things I guess. Thanks again guys!

Old 05-19-2007, 12:39 PM

201 posts, read 964,449 times
Anywhere on the west side is good whether it's NW or SW. Check out websites like forrent.com or apartmentfinders.com for apartment rentals. Plenty of gated complexes with all the amenities to fit your budget. Utilities are cheap here, at least compared to NYC where I came from. My current electric bill is $20, gas was $35. Haven't had to use the central AC yet as my apartment is shaded and has ceiling fans. Cable with high speed i-net & digital TV is around $100. Gas is around $3.19 for 87.

And plenty of fossils to be had out here are well

Old 05-19-2007, 03:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
There is a lot to explore around Vegas if you like geology. Check out Death Valley and all the National Parks in Utah too. I still go bone and rock hunting. You never know what you will find. And you can do a vacation to Yellowstone/Jackson Hole too. Amazing place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas