Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,211 times

Advertisements

We are looking at our very short list of bases to move to, Beale, Edwards, and Creech...

Does anyone have any input on Creech...I can not seem to find anything on housing, do they not have any on base housing? How about schools? Are the elementary schools any good? I have read that Indian Springs is not that great of a place to live, what are our options?

We have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, I am a nurse and would need a hospital or medical facility of some sort to work at...which is never really too difficult to find I guess.

Thanks in advance for any input....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,633 times
Creech AFB, has no base housing, and Indian Springs has little to offer. If you want base housing you will live on Nellis AFB.

Plenty of hospitals in Las Vegas, Nellis also has a hospital that is jointly run with the VA.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
I'd forget Edwards. It's in the middle of a particularly ugly part of the desert with absolutely nothing around it for many miles. It is closer to LA than we are, but not close enough. I suppose you could live in Palmdale, or Barstow, but that's depressing.

Beale is in an extremely beautiful part of California, but I doubt you'd find the hospital work you're looking for. Maybe. I'm sure they have small hospitals around there. Still, if it was temporary, I know I've enjoyed that area a lot on short vacations, and might like to live there for a while. Living in Yuba City can't be all bad. There's a great town not too far from there that my wife and I return to whenever we can. It's Nevada City, CA. Also what we call "Our Lake" is not too far in Lakes Basin near Graeagle. And over the Sierras is Reno.

Creech is a short drive from Las Vegas where you will find everything your heart desires 24 hours a day. You might find a place at Indian Springs, but why bother? There's nothing there either. Live in the northwest part of Las Vegas, or the northern part of North Las Vegas, and he can drive it in 30minutes...45 max.

If you have a choice I'd forget Edwards, and go for Beale or Creech. If you like the big city pick Creech. If you like the outdoors...mountains, rivers, etc... and quaint little towns, go for Beale.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,243 times
Living in the extreme Northwest side of Las Vegas is plausible for a family stationed at Creech. There are several nice, established communities such as Painted Desert, Desert Shores, The Hills neighborhood in Summerlin and many others where you could rent or buy and not expect an outrageous commute (50 minutes tops from the areas I mention) up the 95 to Creech. There is also little traffic on that particular stretch of the 95.

I'm not sure about employment prospects, but you may want to inquire at Summerlin Hospital and Mountain View Hospital. There are many outpatient facilities in the northwest as well. I unfortunately learned through a broken arm about Nevada Orthopedic and Spine. All of these hospitals and medical facilities are in the northwest and I am sure I am forgetting one or two of the major ones.

I dont know what kind of lifestyle you prefer, but being stationed at Edwards means Palmdale as a place to live. I would go nuts.

Last edited by Spraynard Kruger; 01-21-2010 at 04:30 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,211 times
Thanks Everyone....all the information is so helpful!

How about schools? Does anyone know anything about the schools in these areas????

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times
The NW corner of the city has good schools, is what I have heard - we get to Nellis in Aug. If you go to the CCSD website, they have accountability reports that give all sorts of data on each school. What you can do is find the zoning map (also on the CCSD site) and look at what schools are up in that area and then pull up their reports.

If you choose to live on Nellis, I think the elementary school is fine, but the middle school I have been advised against.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM

845 posts, read 2,326,867 times
Cimmaron-Memorial High School is near the Lake Mead & 95 interchange. That puts you less than 1 mile from the eastern border of Summerlin. C-M is well above average for CCSD (not saying much). There is no official City of Summerlin, but it is a clearly defined development. 22,500 acres developed by The Howard Hughes Corporation. www.summerlin.com will show you all the different villages. Look out for "near Summerlin" as the area detreriorates quickly as you go E. on Lake Mead.

Definite thumbs up over Edwards.

Job market is horrible, but there is a VA Center on Smokehouse Rd., and Summerlin Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas