Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times

Advertisements

We are not arriving til late July at the earliest. I am trying to figure out schooling options for my middle schooler.

I will have a 6th grader and we will likely be living in the zone for a middle school I think is not a good choice. I am not ruling it out completely b/c I would like to see it myself. I have the "hard data" on it and have talked to a friend in that zone whose middle schooler has a zoning variance to attend a different one. Its not promising.

Magnet - I know Magnet lottery apps are due in a week or two and we won't have a Vegas residential address until long after the decision/lottery choices are made. I would like to consider magnet as an option for 7th grade. Also, considering magnet schools are often placed as a "magnet" to draw higher performing middle class kids to neighborhoods with a lower socioeconomic population, I would like to physically visit the schools/neighborhoods.

Charters - don't seem much more promising in terms of location but I don't know because I don't live there yet. Any opinions on any of them?

Private - could be doable but I don't think we could swing the tuition for more than a year - it would be stopgap measure - and at that, it would not be Challenger or Meadows, it would be a school with under $9k/yr tuition. We are Catholic but we'd consider Lutheran as well or a non-religious private school.

zoning variance - I know where I live now its an annual event to put in for a zoning variance and the "good" schools fill up fast and the time to do it is limited to one particular day in the late winter. Any insight on how it works in Vegas?

Charter virtual - this would be the "if nothing else works" option and I have tentatively decided on Nevada Virtual Academy (which uses the K12 program) over Odyssey based on reviewing the websites. This too might be a stopgap measure for a year until the next magnet lottery.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM

49 posts, read 123,666 times
I'm interested in replies to this as well. We have been here since August with one in elementary & two in MS. So far, I am not thrilled with the academics at our MS (Del Webb) and am looking for alternatives for next year. I have to research both MS & HS alternatives since I will have one in both. It seems that when I do find a good one it is clear across town & I can't see getting my kids up at 5 to get to school. I really like Foothills Montessori for my MSer but the class size is too small for her. They both refuse the notion of NVA.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,421 times
I am looking for parents who want enroll in magnet schools and living in area sunset N eastern. I am enrolling my kid in 1st grade magnet program. I am looking to simplify transportation for kids. I can drop them at school in the morning or pick them up in the evening. Magnet offers best programs to match with private schools.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Don't they offer bus service for magnets? I thought only charters did not have bus service.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM

The bus services takes aournd 1 and 1/2 hours each way. They have to get by 7 which is very tough. But by car it takes 20 to 25 minutes.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Well that might rule out magnet for me - thanks for the info.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:10 PM

[url=http://transportation.ccsd.net/edulog/webquery/WebQueryRequestController?addres]Edulog's Web Query[/url]

You can submit your address in the URL and find out how long it takes.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:18 PM

Holy moley 538am pick up time for one of them. The latest pickup is 557am for the closest one. Yeah, that's not going to work. Yikes. The afternoon would be fine but the morning is crazy. I get up at 538am, I cannot imagine being fed and watered and clean and shiny at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas