Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 PM

49 posts, read 179,565 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I first posted here back in November about me wanting to move to Las Vegas primarily because of my background in the hospitality business. I got lots of real good information and thank you all for that.

Well, it's now been 2 months since I've been here and everything started off bad for me since I got here and has been getting worse ever since. This is not meant to be a petty party post or anything, I just want to share my experience and show that I'm persevering at the very least.

I got here with a job lined up as a "VIP hosts" (fancy name here in LV for basically a doorman/security guard at a night club). After only 3 weeks on the job I was laid off. I was told that it was the "slow season" and that when business picks up I would get a call. Needless to say I was shocked to hear that considering the manager knew my circumstances of me relocating from out of state to take this position, but what can you do? Anyways, In those 3 weeks I got to know one of the valet guys, he was nice enough to talk to his boss to see if I can pick up a shift in valet parking cars. I have absolutely no experience but hey..I know how to rear park and drive standard. It turns out business was sooo slow now that the person who has a contract with the club to provide valet service decided to pull out because it was now costing him money. Just like that, after working valet for about 3 weeks I was out of a job again.

I then registered with Spherion (Temp to Hire agency), they offered me a job at a factory on a temporary basis. I'm broke with no job so of course I took it. It turns out it's a very very easy job. As a temp I got 8.25 hr fulltime with weekends off. 12hr with benefits after 6 months if they hire me. I was happy but at the same time I knew I didn't want to do this forever. I was thinking I could just ride this out until I can get a better job I have experience in and also try to finally finish my Microsoft Certification.

After only 2 days on the job, I checked the Spherion website. I was told when I first registered with them that they add new job opportunities on a daily basis. I found an office job that required someone who is "proficient with computers". I immediately called the manager and asked if I would be able to transfer to that position since I said I was over qualified for the factory position. That didn't go well with him at all and he said if I'm "going to be looking for other work while you're there, then just make this your last day". He then said "I need someone who is going to stay there because they (factory) are making an investment in you". I was trying to explain to him I was under the impression that this is a temp job and that they would still be trying to find me a job more in line with my educational back ground ( Microsoft Certification) if one became available which is what I put in my Spherion profile.

And so after only 2 months I went through 3 different jobs and down to only a few hundred dollars left to my name with all my credit cards maxed out. I put away my pride and I know receive food stamps. I couldn't believe how much they gave me so at least I'm eating well. LOL Luckily I know the lady who owns the house I'm renting in Summerlin so she's able to understand my situation but I don't know how long I can fend her off. On top of that, the 2 days before I first got hired I got a new car. So I haven't even paid my first care payment, I wonder if they think I stole it already.

So here I am in Las Vegas the first 2 months still trying to get on my feet, I might be down right now but I'm not quitting and I know my better days are ahead of me. I'm still looking for a job and I have a couple of appointments with some local programs here in LV that help people with funding for school. I'm only a couple of months from attaining my MSCE. So I know things will get better for me eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,587,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.Lobo View Post
Hi all, I first posted here back in November about me wanting to move to Las Vegas primarily because of my background in the hospitality business. I got lots of real good information and thank you all for that.

Well, it's now been 2 months since I've been here and everything started off bad for me since I got here and has been getting worse ever since. This is not meant to be a petty party post or anything, I just want to share my experience and show that I'm persevering at the very least.

I got here with a job lined up as a "VIP hosts" (fancy name here in LV for basically a doorman/security guard at a night club). After only 3 weeks on the job I was laid off. I was told that it was the "slow season" and that when business picks up I would get a call. Needless to say I was shocked to hear that considering the manager knew my circumstances of me relocating from out of state to take this position, but what can you do? Anyways, In those 3 weeks I got to know one of the valet guys, he was nice enough to talk to his boss to see if I can pick up a shift in valet parking cars. I have absolutely no experience but hey..I know how to rear park and drive standard. It turns out business was sooo slow now that the person who has a contract with the club to provide valet service decided to pull out because it was now costing him money. Just like that, after working valet for about 3 weeks I was out of a job again.

I then registered with Spherion (Temp to Hire agency), they offered me a job at a factory on a temporary basis. I'm broke with no job so of course I took it. It turns out it's a very very easy job. As a temp I got 8.25 hr fulltime with weekends off. 12hr with benefits after 6 months if they hire me. I was happy but at the same time I knew I didn't want to do this forever. I was thinking I could just ride this out until I can get a better job I have experience in and also try to finally finish my Microsoft Certification.

After only 2 days on the job, I checked the Spherion website. I was told when I first registered with them that they add new job opportunities on a daily basis. I found an office job that required someone who is "proficient with computers". I immediately called the manager and asked if I would be able to transfer to that position since I said I was over qualified for the factory position. That didn't go well with him at all and he said if I'm "going to be looking for other work while you're there, then just make this your last day". He then said "I need someone who is going to stay there because they (factory) are making an investment in you". I was trying to explain to him I was under the impression that this is a temp job and that they would still be trying to find me a job more in line with my educational back ground ( Microsoft Certification) if one became available which is what I put in my Spherion profile.

And so after only 2 months I went through 3 different jobs and down to only a few hundred dollars left to my name with all my credit cards maxed out. I put away my pride and I know receive food stamps. I couldn't believe how much they gave me so at least I'm eating well. LOL Luckily I know the lady who owns the house I'm renting in Summerlin so she's able to understand my situation but I don't know how long I can fend her off. On top of that, the 2 days before I first got hired I got a new car. So I haven't even paid my first care payment, I wonder if they think I stole it already.

So here I am in Las Vegas the first 2 months still trying to get on my feet, I might be down right now but I'm not quitting and I know my better days are ahead of me. I'm still looking for a job and I have a couple of appointments with some local programs here in LV that help people with funding for school. I'm only a couple of months from attaining my MSCE. So I know things will get better for me eventually.
Now thats awesome, your determination that is. In spite of your situation as dire as it is, you are determined to keep pluggin away at the job market until something comes up

Times will get better for you! BTW IMO buying a new car before getting a job, probably not the best idea unless you arrived without a car and needed transportation

Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,050,174 times
Wow. I remember your first posts and how optimistic you were.

Kudos to you for the good attitude and making the most of what you have. I'm sorry Vegas wasn't an easy nut to crack. I hope you can still make it all work out.

Just in case....... The best time to plan an exit strategy is now.

Just went back and re read that old post. Las Vegas is tough right now.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 01-21-2010 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,246,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.Lobo View Post

Temp agencies suck. If you have to use one, I recommend TekSystems. In Las Vegas, most hiring managers think they can hire Unix/Linux systems administrators for $12 bucks an hour. This isnt a good town for IT, but there are jobs.

Man, I bet you wish you didnt buy that new car right about now. Dooooh!

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,258,040 times
I am really sorry to hear this, but it does not surprise me. I do hope things get better for you. I am not harping on you, but buying a new car was a HUGE mistake. I personally try (an do) keep my total living expenses at $800 a month. A new car is just a waste of money IMO, and an expensive one.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,912 times
Too late now - but the #1 rule about contract agencies is that they will scerw you anyway they can. They are all about billing the client (employer) as much as possible and paying the worker (you) as little as possible. Any and all rhetoric to the contrary, that's ALL they care about. That you would dare to look out for your own interests is intolerable. It's no surprise he gave you the boot for doing so - in a down economy there are 100 other poor slobs happy to be taken advantage of. In an up economy you would have had a few more weeks before you got canned, because it would take a little longer to find a replacement.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,010,191 times
i read your original posts.. why the h*ll would you purchase a new car right off the bat.. they have 90 days to terminate for any and i mean any reason.. i'd be calling your bank and explaining the situation. possibly doing a voluntary return (repossession).. by missing your first payment your score is down 70+ points anyway... i've been here 6mos.. vegas is rough!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM

23,229 posts, read 29,071,258 times
With this economy, I really don't think your post would have been much different no matter what city you picked to relocate to.

Thank God I'm a pessimist, always thinking the of the worst-case scenario's, with Plans B,C,D,E always. It has served me well over the years.

An extremely optimisitic friend of mine recently relocated to Colorado Springs from Texas. Typical of her, not even a Plan B. She was pinning her hopes on working as a Census Worker, temporarily, but she only passed the test with 85%, and fierce competition from the highly degreed college graduates looking for temporary Census work.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:04 PM

177 posts, read 357,298 times
You should go to California if you want an IT job.
There are not much IT-related companies here.
Even in California the economy is also seriously in toilet right now.
It is simply not the right time doing not the right thing.

But fortunately you are still optimistic.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 PM

654 posts, read 1,323,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am really sorry to hear this, but it does not surprise me. I do hope things get better for you. I am not harping on you, but buying a new car was a HUGE mistake. I personally try (an do) keep my total living expenses at $800 a month. A new car is just a waste of money IMO, and an expensive one.
Agreed. The situation's really unfortunate, but this is a perfect example of why so many regulars here say to have at least six months of living expenses & little to no debt when you come here. One thing I'll give LVD credit for is he sure seems to know how to live within his means.

Buying a new car was a big no-no unless you had a big enough cushion to make a year's worth of payments IN ADDITION to living expenses. I bought a new car last year but that was only because a lot of things came together. First, I couldn't find a used car that I thought was a good value. Second, I had already been saving for a second car for a while (girlfriend needed one for work). Third, I knew I was going to be able to pay it off very quickly. Finally, I was able to get a car that stickered for $19K for under $11K (before taxes & fees - this was before cash for clunkers). It helps that I have a 5 year, 60K bumper to bumper warranty; couldn't be happier with the car. If all that hadn't come together, I wouldn't have considered buying a new car & I wouldn't advocate it for others unless you can pay cash & have reserves left over.

Good luck to OP on turning things around. Following the examples of LVD & others about cutting expenses & living within your means. As others have mentioned, start formulating an exit strategy - obviously, you don't want to leave, but you need to be prepared if things stay bad. For others thinking of moving here, have AT LEAST six months of living expenses in reserve, twelve months is probably more prudent in the current economic climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas