Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 PM

625 posts, read 796,736 times

Advertisements

Id like to just get in the car and drive for a couple hours north, but do not know some good stopping points, or especially places to stop rich in history. I love the western culture and would like to explore this state. Anybody want to help? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 PM

164 posts, read 260,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Id like to just get in the car and drive for a couple hours north, but do not know some good stopping points, or especially places to stop rich in history. I love the western culture and would like to explore this state. Anybody want to help? Thanks!
i think head for ely and then elko. not sure, though... never done it.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,274 times
Lots of cool little one horse towns north bound on the 95

Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Over the years, I have been in every county in Nevada .... several times.

My recommendation is to purchase the Nevada Handbook, by Deke Castleman. He is by far, the expert on what to see in Nevada outside of Las Vegas. Most of the best places in my opinion are going to take you more than two hours

Here are some of the things to see in Elko.

Lemoille Canyon - great hiking trail in the Ruby Mountains. Often referred to as the "Yosemite of Nevada."
Ruby Meadows - remote valley with a lot of freshwater lakes
There is a great saddle maker shop in downtown Elko
Several Basque restaurants
Northeastern Nevada Museum - some great animal displays.
Western Folklife Museum - some great exhibits on ranch life in the area.

There are a lot of attractions within two hours of Las Vegas in California and Arizona.

Mojave National Park has caves and sand dunes and historical buildings.
South of Death Valley is the China Date Ranch in Tecopa Hot Springs. This time of year, they are harvesting dates. There are some great trails adjacent to the ranch.
Oatman, AZ is an interesting ghost town.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 PM

625 posts, read 796,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Over the years, I have been in every county in Nevada .... several times.

My recommendation is to purchase the Nevada Handbook, by Deke Castleman. He is by far, the expert on what to see in Nevada outside of Las Vegas. Most of the best places in my opinion are going to take you more than two hours

Here are some of the things to see in Elko.

Lemoille Canyon - great hiking trail in the Ruby Mountains. Often referred to as the "Yosemite of Nevada."
Ruby Meadows - remote valley with a lot of freshwater lakes
There is a great saddle maker shop in downtown Elko
Several Basque restaurants
Northeastern Nevada Museum - some great animal displays.
Western Folklife Museum - some great exhibits on ranch life in the area.

There are a lot of attractions within two hours of Las Vegas in California and Arizona.

Mojave National Park has caves and sand dunes and historical buildings.
South of Death Valley is the China Date Ranch in Tecopa Hot Springs. This time of year, they are harvesting dates. There are some great trails adjacent to the ranch.
Oatman, AZ is an interesting ghost town.
Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to buy the book soon...In the back of my head, I figured most of the stuff to see were 4-5 hours away. I have friends that have been to Ruby Mountains. I have yet to check out Mojave and Death Valley, but I hope to tackle that in March.

Thanks to you, I have a list of places to see now, especially the museums and Tecopa.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Nevada is the 7th largest state. It is a vast 110,000 sq. miles. A couple of hours away won't get you very far. Buy the Nevada Handbook as jlawrence01 said.

Also, get the book, "Out From Las Vegas, Adventures a Day Away", by Florine Lawlor.

Click the link then on the title: Amazon.com: Florine Lawlor: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Start reading this column in the RJ: Trip of the Week | Las Vegas Review-Journal

You might find yourself in situations where you'll wish you had four wheel drive, so take lots of water, and learn some desert survival skills, or just stay on the few hard roads we have in Nevada. And that's hard to do if you really want to see the state. It is said that you could travel over the entire state without ever touching asphalt. A Jeep and some friends with Jeeps is a good idea for exploring Nevada. That said, over all the decades I've been in Nevada I seldom have enough water or other survival tools, and I know better.

Have fun. Nevada is one of the best states in the country for staycations.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:21 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
I like going to Eldorado Canyon, and it's not very far south of here in Nelson, NV (take 95 south like you're going to Laughlin, and I think it's the first or second left). It's all paved, and takes you down to the Colorado River, and through a little mining area (past the 6 or 7 houses that comprise Nelson). Stop at the big house/store on the left and check out the guys' alien room.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:27 PM

Make sure you have a good spare and tools to change a tire. In the 90s my wife and I took our new Isuzu Trooper out to the Desert National Wildlife Range on the main dirt road about 30 miles from the highway, U.S. 95. We went for a short hike and got back to find a tire was half flat. I got out the tools to change it and found that the dealer had not given me a tire iron to fit the nuts on the oversize wheels I had asked for. We had to drive on a half tire flat back to the highway over a very rough road, and another ten miles or so to the nearest gas station. Wasn't sure we were going to make it. And forget cell service out there. We were in good shape but 30 miles is a long way to walk in the dark, and then to start hitchhiking.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to buy the book soon...In the back of my head, I figured most of the stuff to see were 4-5 hours away. I have friends that have been to Ruby Mountains. I have yet to check out Mojave and Death Valley, but I hope to tackle that in March.

Thanks to you, I have a list of places to see now, especially the museums and Tecopa.
Spring is a great time to go to Death Valley for the wildflowers. Actually, anytime between October and early May is a great time to go there. This is also a great time to go to China Ranch. They just recently brought in the date crop and should have plenty for sale. At least have a date shake.

China Ranch Date Farm

A good trip is to go there, then loop around through the backside of Pahrump and have lunch or dinner at the Pahrump Winery.

Pahrump Winery

Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I like going to Eldorado Canyon, and it's not very far south of here in Nelson, NV (take 95 south like you're going to Laughlin, and I think it's the first or second left). It's all paved, and takes you down to the Colorado River, and through a little mining area (past the 6 or 7 houses that comprise Nelson). Stop at the big house/store on the left and check out the guys' alien room.
Are they still giving tours of the old mine down at Nelson? There are miles and miles of dirt roads to explore just beyond the house. There are mines everywhere back in there, but if it is still being mined stay away, or get shot. And if it is abandoned stay away because you could fall in and be lost forever ...or step on a buzzworm as I almost did once. My buddy is still laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas