Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,972 times

Advertisements

We are going to drive from Vegas to Los Angeles in about 4 days time.

I am wondering what there is to see along the way.

Is it wide open plains - with Cacti?

What is there of interest?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Hours of absolute grandeur...which eventually run together into an immense urge to drive fast. Joshua Trees. Mountain passes.

Not a whole lot else.

The Mad Greek in Baker...right down the street from the World's tallest thermometer. Eat at the Greek's...not bad.

Fill up on gas in Las Vegas. Expensive until Victorville.

World changes when you get to the El Cajon grade after Victorville.

Head right to the ocean...Long Beach, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Malibu. No good reason...just the right thing to do.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:07 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,450 times
I'm probably jaded having made the drive dozens of times, but I guess if it's your first time it might be somewhat scenic.

You probably know this, but avoid driving out on a Friday afternoon at all costs or returning on Sunday.

The only place somewhat interesting I know of is Goodsprings. There's an old historic bar (now a biker bar) and the town seems to be where every "the hills have eyes" type movie has been filmed.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:37 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Just about anything worth seeing up close is going to take you a long ways off I-15. For something different you could take the Pearblossom/Palmdale shortcut. Depending on where you're going in LA it can save you some time, and it's different scenery. Or if you have the time to take side trips, there is the Mojave National Preserve & Kelso Station, Calico Ghost Town, Big Bear Lake & Lake Arrowhead (take shortcut through the Lucerne Valley then back to I-15 at Cajon Junction), and the Angeles National Forest. But most people just stay on I-15 and hurry along to the big city since the drive is kind of boring, and there's nothing that great to see.

You can use MapQuest to find all those things. MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Yes, most definitely a trip to the pacific ocean is a must. I snapped this photo a few weeks ago during my drive from Ventura to Malibu along the PCH.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
We are going to drive from Vegas to Los Angeles in about 4 days time.

I am wondering what there is to see along the way.

Is it wide open plains - with Cacti?

What is there of interest?

Thanks in advance
Not to be too technical, but for the sake of discussion (and since WVU lost and I'm sad), we are in the Mojave Desert which we don't refer to much as plains. The Great Plains are something else entirely. They are located to the east of the Rocky Mountains from Canada to Texas, and as far as I know they don't have any mountains. The desert is sort of created by high mountains that block the moisture from the (desert) valleys below. I believe the plains were created some other way, and are mostly grass lands, although I'm sure you'd find some species of cactus there.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:09 PM

89 posts, read 186,279 times
My favorite route to Vegas from LA is the most deserted--down through the Mojave Preserve, then head south through the tiny town of Amboy. Hike up to the top of Amboy Crater (it's a pretty short hike). Head south to 29 Palms and take Highway 62 west through Joshua Tree and check out Joshua Tree National Park. Continue on to Desert Hot Springs and stay at one of the hot springs hotels (we usualy stay at Miracle Hot Springs--reasonable rates, and a bunch of little outdoor pools at a variety of temperatures, as well as one larger swimming pool.)

Make sure you have enough gas. And be aware that this route is very, very deserted on most days. From the Mojave Preserve to 29 Palms there is a whole lot of fascinating geology, but not much else.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM

395 posts, read 1,081,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I'm probably jaded having made the drive dozens of times, but I guess if it's your first time it might be somewhat scenic.

You probably know this, but avoid driving out on a Friday afternoon at all costs or returning on Sunday.

The only place somewhat interesting I know of is Goodsprings. There's an old historic bar (now a biker bar) and the town seems to be where every "the hills have eyes" type movie has been filmed.
If the OP is driving from Vegas to LA the Friday/Sunday is a non-issue - I have done it probably fifty times and never hit traffic.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,450 times
It's the reverse that's the concern.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM

23 posts, read 55,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
My favorite route to Vegas from LA is the most deserted--down through the Mojave Preserve, then head south through the tiny town of Amboy. Hike up to the top of Amboy Crater (it's a pretty short hike). Head south to 29 Palms and take Highway 62 west through Joshua Tree and check out Joshua Tree National Park. Continue on to Desert Hot Springs and stay at one of the hot springs hotels (we usualy stay at Miracle Hot Springs--reasonable rates, and a bunch of little outdoor pools at a variety of temperatures, as well as one larger swimming pool.)

Make sure you have enough gas. And be aware that this route is very, very deserted on most days. From the Mojave Preserve to 29 Palms there is a whole lot of fascinating geology, but not much else.
agree 110%!

take the roads less travelled between primm and palm springs...

also whilst at primm, do hop on the roller coaster in the middle of nowhere!

another side treck would be the pioneer saloon in goodsprings just off the motorway at Jean NV

have fun, take water but do not go the back way if a rain is coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas