Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,833,479 times

Advertisements

OK, here's the deal. Trying to get a post going that my bring together some ideas for people new to the area or just some fun information. Something that doesnt involve real estate, crime, housing, ect. I know its gonna be hard for some of us to understand the concept of giving a little information for the benefit of others, but give it a try.

To start off, I recently went on Vacation to Park City, Jackson Hole & Yellowstone. Car trip, it was great had a really good time. Anyone else would like to post go ahead, where have you gone, where you gonna go, places you loved, places you hated. Thanks all!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 04:55 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,718,613 times
I like going to Baja, ensedada and cabo.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:14 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,194,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
I recently went on Vacation to Park City, Jackson Hole & Yellowstone. Car trip, it was great had a really good time. Anyone else would like to post go ahead, where have you gone, where you gonna go, places you loved, places you hated. Thanks all!!!!!
I am so jealous! I always wanted to visit Jackson Hole & Yellowstone when we lived out there but, unfortunately, never got around to it. Glad you had a good time. I'm just looking forward to when we get another travel trailer, then we can visit the states here on the eastern seaboard.

We used to go to Petaluma, CA with our little trailer each year during the Sonoma County Fair in August. There's a lot to do up there (and it's a short ride to San Francisco), and it was a nice break from the hot, hot weather in Vegas!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:40 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,417,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
To start off, I recently went on Vacation to Park City, Jackson Hole & Yellowstone. Car trip, it was great had a really good time. Anyone else would like to post go ahead, where have you gone, where you gonna go, places you loved, places you hated. Thanks all!!!!!
sounds like a great trip (and a good idea for a thread). i worked in the park (on yellowstone lake) for 7 summers and really miss it...kinda like a second home when i was in grad school.

technically, my last vacation was a work trip to Japan - it was a research cruise which afforded me a few days on either side of the ship time for myself. after our part of the cruise, i had to spent 2 days on chichijima (Chichi-jima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) waiting for a boat to take us back to the mainland (its a 25 hr ferry, so the ship only runs a couple times a week). beautiful tropical island, very little english spoke there, so i just drank a lot of beer, pointed at the food i wanted, and enjoyed a slice of paradise (no cell phones, only one place to check email...and i stayed the hell away from that cafe). unfortunately, i didn't know the wwII history of the island until i ready the book Flyboys (j. bradley...i really recommend it). but i did hike to the top of the peak w/ the now defunct radio tower (didn't know its significance at the time) and saw numerous emplacements, tunnels and turrets.

would love to go back to japan in general, but esp to chichijima...w/ my dive gear this time.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,380,953 times
Are there any rules to this? Eg. day trips, weekend, or relatively short drives?

There are actually five major reasons to live in Las Vegas: #1 is that it is central to some (if not most) of the most beautiful and interesting places in the US. I know that some people not used to the wide open spaces of the west are not used to what we consider a "short" drive, but I think you'd be surprised if you took a poll at how many of us are here for the surroundings which actually include most of the wild, wild west.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,232,779 times
Well I can throw in a couple...

Our old summertime treat was a trip to Catalina. For our first four years here we did it almost once a month in the warm weather. It is simply a marvelous contrast to Las Vegas. We went places where you have to have access to a boat. Mostly Emerald Bay which is toward the west end of the Island and three miles or so from the nearest bar and store...Which is not a problem with a 10 knot dinghy...and many have 30 knot dinghys. Unfortunately when we got heavily into the RE business we never got to go there...and let go of the boat and slip.. a very bad decision.

Still though a nice weekend on Catalina is less than eight hours away including the ferry ride. If you want to be a big spender go for the Wrigley Mansion....the rooms come with a golf car to run around Avalon. Or if you have the skill it is possible to charter out of Marina del Rey or Newport Beach. Particularly nice in September or October. The water is warm the sun is strong and the heat is moderate.

In the winter we head to Puerto Vallarta. Go to a little town about 15 miles north of PV called Bucerias. Cost about half or two thirds PV and has a nicer beach. Rural Mexican rules...don't drink the water. But a wonderful place to warm up when Vegas is cool.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 PM

818 posts, read 3,700,526 times
Quote:
it is central to some (if not most) of the most beautiful and interesting places in the US.
Of course, the top of that list has to be Mt. Zion National Park. My head nearly exploded the first time I went there.

The Great Basin Nat'l Park is highly underrated as well and just a few hours from Las Vegas. The tour of Lehman caves was amazing.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 PM

34 posts, read 113,580 times
Big Bear Lake is a great long weekend trip. They have so many cute little bed and breakfasts, and the scenery is beautiful!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,059,919 times
I went on a cruise to Alaska once and it seemed like 1/2 the people on the boat were from Vegas!

I love most of the places you folks mentioned. One trip I want to do is that date farm, I think it is China Ranch. There are so many things to see and do in a reasonable distance from Vegas. I have always wanted to see Mono Lake too.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:20 PM

151 posts, read 227,744 times
I spent a week last summer on the outer banks of North Carolina. Very relaxing vacation. Next time I think I will stay for two weeks because by the time you finally unwind and get in to full vacation mode you are already starting to pack up to come home.

I also like to get out to Santa Fe, NM when I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas