Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 PM

57 posts, read 134,828 times

Advertisements

I've been here a few years now and so far I haven't been able to find a decent pizza - or at least, one that suits my tastes. Part of this could be cultural, as I am not an American I might be more used to how pizza is generally prepared back home. I know how pizza "should be" is a matter of opinion and is the subject of considerable debate USA-wide, so I'll do my best to describe what I'm looking for.

The sort of pizza I like must be crisp on some level - be it pan or thin, there should be something of a crunch when I bite into the thing. A recurring issue I have is that pizza is really soggy where you pick up a slice and the tip sags to point straight toward the ground, OR the thing is so soft or gluggy and doughy it doesn't seem to be cooked properly. (or, if that's how you like pizza - "to my specifications"

Another thing I don't enjoy is pizza that seems to have had half a cup of vegatable oil poured over each and every slice or pizza that seems a bit "wet"

If anyone knows any places that might provide options for me I'd appreciate it. So far the best Pizza I have had here was at The Wynn's buffet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 PM

113 posts, read 388,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemspy View Post
So far the best Pizza I have had here was at The Wynn's buffet.
I hope you are kidding. Buffet pizza is the worst food known to man. YUCK!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
The two places I go for pizza are on Charleston, so that might be too far north for you. Both places have pizza by the slice so you could try a slice at each place and if you hate it, you don't have 7/8ths of a pizza to finish. One is East Coast Pizza in Boca Park. Overall this is probably my favorite. The other place is Rocco's NY Pizza in Canyon Pointe (not Rocco's Deli). Were it not for some excessive oil on some of their pizzas this would be my favorite. I suppose I could just mop it up with a napkin before I ate it and then it could be my favorite. I think both places have the kind of crust you're after.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:39 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
You may want to try Marco's Pizza on Warmsprings/Durango. They have one of the best thin crust pizza's I've had for a take out type place (it has that cracker crunch type of thin crust). They are very reasonable and just give it a shot and you might be surprised at the quality.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,102 times
Someone else recommended Rocco's to me for NY-style pizza. I'll certainly give it a try but that's not normally my fave type of pizza.

What I haven't been able to find out here is good Chicago-style pizza. You know, REALLY deep-dish, multiple layers of sin bad for you. NOT that abomination Pizza Hut soaks in oil & calls deep dish. I'm looking for a true deep-dish with a load of cheese, covered with tomatoes and/or tomato sauce - the kind that takes 30-40 minutes to make. The kind you need a knife & fork to eat - near impossible to pick up & eat as a slice. Where MAYBE I can eat two pieces.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Las Vegas is good for so many other kinds of food ... how sad that Costco's pizza is actually one of the better ones I've had.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Try Rosati's for Chicago-style pizza. I'm sure it's not the best, but it's certainly better than that crap you've tried so far.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
What I haven't been able to find out here is good Chicago-style pizza. You know, REALLY deep-dish, multiple layers of sin bad for you. NOT that abomination Pizza Hut soaks in oil & calls deep dish. I'm looking for a true deep-dish with a load of cheese, covered with tomatoes and/or tomato sauce - the kind that takes 30-40 minutes to make. The kind you need a knife & fork to eat - near impossible to pick up & eat as a slice. Where MAYBE I can eat two pieces.
Sounds just like Gino's East! You could always have a pie or two shipped out to you.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Sounds just like Gino's East! You could always have a pie or two shipped out to you.
Yes, Gino's brings back fond memories. Always had to bring something to write on the booth or walls - for the uninitiated, it's kinda like graffiti hell (or heaven, depending on your disposition). You're encouraged to 'leave your mark' & that's some of the character of the place. Writing everywhere - on the booths, the walls, probably the ceilings too!

Surprisingly, Lou Malnati's does a better job of shipping pies, but it's not the same. They're relatively small (9 inch pizzas, I think), expensive & it's not the same as a pizza cooked in a proper pizza oven. I think I'll try Rosati's on MediocreButArrogant's suggestion.

There are so many good deep dish pizza joints in Chicago, depending on your preference. It's more like 'degrees of goodness' instead of saying "this one's good, that one's bad". My favorite, over time, became Nancy's - which only has a few locations in Chicago. The one in East Lakeview near my place is the best. Of course, there's also Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, Bacino's, My Pii, Edwardo's & even Giordano's if you gotta settle for the chain that's everywhere. Pizzeria Uno, for all the attention it gets, is probably my least favorite of the group. It's decent, but there are so many better places.

It's probably good for my waistline (& heart) I've relocated - can't eat that stuff too often. Otherwise you'll wind up like the guys in 'Da Bears' sketch on SNL.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 AM

450 posts, read 1,514,528 times
Ciao Ciao Angelo is on Durango near Peace Way and they have those brick oven pizzas. I'm used to a medium sized crispy crust, not paper thin and everything falling off when you pick it up, and not a pie like Chicago style. If I wanted a pie, I'd order banana cream! lol The toppings were really fresh, as they use fresh mozzarella, not the shredded stuff. Also, I've heard that Metro Pizza is pretty good, though I haven't been there yet.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Someone else recommended Rocco's to me for NY-style pizza. I'll certainly give it a try but that's not normally my fave type of pizza.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Las Vegas is good for so many other kinds of food ... how sad that Costco's pizza is actually one of the better ones I've had.
Not Chicago style, but try Nathan's on Flamingo and Fort Apache. It's "Detroit" style. I used to take the wife and kid over there after his hockey lessons. It really is very good. That said, I'm sure that there are some Chicago style places out here, although likely outnumbered by the NY style joints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas