Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:55 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,389,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa99 View Post
Thanks for all your tips. Hockeygirl, your advice is especially appreciated! I can't imagine having to dig through boxes frantically trying to find stuff!

...BUT there is no way I'm selling my furniture! I've spent 20 years carefully selecting most of my pieces and I'd rather not move than to sell my armoire from Thailand!!
What Hockygirl said ...and ...any furniture you bring from a humid climate should be frequently slathered with furniture oil to keep it from drying out in our dry climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 AM

61 posts, read 195,106 times
The one most important thing I can offer is to be there when they unload your furniture/possessions. Everything should have a tag with a number on it. Everything from a box to a stool. They will give you a sheet with all the numbers and a column to check off when they're unloaded.

The best advice I can give you is to be there when they unload the stuff. Check off every tag on the column as it comes off the truck, check all the furniture for possible damage. There should be one person to do this, possibly sitting in the driveway as all the unloading happens. Dont try to direct the movers where to place things in the house and also check off whats coming off the truck. Not a good idea. There has to be at least two of you at the house.

Also be very pleasant and not pushy -- movers are typically moody and have been driving for many hours, etc., and would appreciate a pleasant welcome and perhaps coffee/coke. Believe me, it can be a very pleasant experience or a very unpleasant one. And you will set the tone. You want them to help you place furniture where you want it? Be pleasant and friendly. If the first thing you say to them is something along the lines of i dont remember this scratch? you're in for a very long and unpleasant experience. Remember, if there are problems you make note of them on your paperwork and work it out later with the moving company.

If they do a good job give them a good tip. They've sweated for you!! Moving is hard work but it can be made a lot easier if you relax, sit in your driveway checking off items as they come off the truck, have someone else inside directing where everything should go. They're pros -- they do this everyday. Relax!!

and welcome . . . !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: