Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
316 316 started this thread

10 posts, read 56,429 times

Advertisements

my husband ,4 month old son and I are moving to vegas from CT next week, and we bought a new home in NLV. We visited the area briefly before purchasing...but not nearly as much time as we would have liked...now im hearing all of these awful things about NLV and im starting to think we made a HUGE mistake. The area didnt seem that bad when we saw the house....so I just dont know

Because im completely unfamiliar with Vegas, Im not sure exactly what area of NLV we are in....but I can tell you its about a 10min drive to Aliante...theres a strip mall area about 5 mins away with a supermarket, and a restaurant or two i think...and its in a development of new KB homes called "Hillcrest"...its not a gated communty, but didnt seem like it was in a bad area...are the bad areas generally the older parts of NLV? am i ok if im in a new part of NLV?

I already looked up the crime stats for our zip code which were pretty alarming...but on second glance i realized that our zip code covers a pretty large area.

if anyone knows the general area im talking (although i know my description is pretty vague) about can you PLEASE provide some insight?

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 04:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316 View Post
my husband ,4 month old son and I are moving to vegas from CT next week, and we bought a new home in NLV. We visited the area briefly before purchasing...but not nearly as much time as we would have liked...now im hearing all of these awful things about NLV and im starting to think we made a HUGE mistake. The area didnt seem that bad when we saw the house....so I just dont know

Because im completely unfamiliar with Vegas, Im not sure exactly what area of NLV we are in....but I can tell you its about a 10min drive to Aliante...theres a strip mall area about 5 mins away with a supermarket, and a restaurant or two i think...and its in a development of new KB homes called "Hillcrest"...its not a gated communty, but didnt seem like it was in a bad area...are the bad areas generally the older parts of NLV? am i ok if im in a new part of NLV?

I already looked up the crime stats for our zip code which were pretty alarming...but on second glance i realized that our zip code covers a pretty large area.

if anyone knows the general area im talking (although i know my description is pretty vague) about can you PLEASE provide some insight?

THANKS!!!
I'm sure you don't want to post your new address but do you know the cross streets? If not, do a Mapquest search of the address, then look at the major cross streets nearby. BTW: It's very easy to find your way around here. The way to find anything in Las Vegas is to learn the major streets, north-south, east-west, and hone in on the exact location by the major cross streets. Also, learn the landmarks that can be seen from all over the valley and use them to guide you E-W, N-S.

It sounds like you will be fine. Most new areas of NLV are not only OK, they are much better than a lot of cities I could name that you'd never think badly of. It used to be that any NLV zip was going to cost you in home value, but I don't think that holds true any more at all. Most of us old timers still think badly of northtown, but we are just remembering it as a small area radiating out from Lake Mead Blvd and Civic Center filled with trailer parks and poor people. I can't say I wouldn't live in NLV because I almost bought a new home in Aliante, but I'd rather not live there because of the stigma that I can't get out of my head. The new people moving in there don't even know there ever was a stigma, so don't worry about it. My daughter, who grew up in Las Vegas and teaches in Henderson, bought a home off of Camino al Norte against my advice and it is a showplace in a beautiful neighborhood. She has wonderful neighbors of every race, color, and creed, and she loves it there. Her sister bought a very nice house about two blocks away, and her grandmother, who has more money than you know who, lives in Aliante. So who are we to say it's a bad area? I have lived in much worse areas of Las Vegas over the years and didn't get robbed, murdered, or beat up. My only thing is that after 43 years of watching neighborhoods deteriorate very quickly here, now that I am in a better neighborhood, I want to stay as far away from older parts of town as I can. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for those people who are trying to restore the older neighborhoods, and I wish more people would get involved with that, but I'm too old and too short of cash and energy to do it myself.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:55 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,687,180 times
its basically at 5th and Tropical, which is fine, its in the New North Las Vegas...

Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Default You are fine...

That area is the KB Sierra Ranch development. You are north of Ann and south of Tropical east of 5th Street. I don't know KBs individual pieces but that is the general area.

Only thing wriong with that area is you may get a little airplane noise from Nellis.

Everything else is fine. No crime to speak of...out of curiosity where did you get crime figures for that zip?

The school is Hayden which is I think brand new...

Nicer than some of the similar demographic areas in Henderson...bigger lots...nicer houses.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That area is the KB Sierra Ranch development. You are north of Ann and south of Tropical east of 5th Street. I don't know KBs individual pieces but that is the general area.

Only thing wriong with that area is you may get a little airplane noise from Nellis.

Everything else is fine. No crime to speak of...out of curiosity where did you get crime figures for that zip?

The school is Hayden which is I think brand new...

Nicer than some of the similar demographic areas in Henderson...bigger lots...nicer houses.
Yep, thats exactly where I am, KB's Sierra ranch. I cant remember exactly where i found the crime stats...but all i know is that it said all of the crime (rape, burglary, assault etc) was about 3times the national average...yikes.

one more question (or maybe i should just post a new topic) .....what about private schools? I am DEFINITELY not putting my son in public school, and luckily i dont need to think about it for a few years (hes only 4 months)...but what are some of the most prestigious schools i should keep in mind? I dont mind having to drive him far because I work from home and make my own schedule, so any area is still within my interest.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES EVERYONE!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
its basically at 5th and Tropical, which is fine, its in the New North Las Vegas...
I found it on Mapquest. Should be ok. Will have a slight "rural" ambience with the pig farm odor wafting in all the time. That wouldn't bother me. I like critters. I used to love roaming around that area before all the houses went in. Very nice desert area at one time. Good place to ride bikes, jeeps, horses, whatever.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Good call...the specific though appears reasonably far from the pig farm...

Hey 316 did KB disclose the Pig Farm...or odorous agriculture or such?

The crime statistics sound like Henderson tricked up through one of these ratings systems. NLV as a whole is slightly worse than Las Vegas. Both are in the middle of the pack as far as comparable cities go...rural areas are much lower in crime. Your part is probably three or four times better than the NLV numbers.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Good call...the specific though appears reasonably far from the pig farm...

Hey 316 did KB disclose the Pig Farm...or odorous agriculture or such?

The crime statistics sound like Henderson tricked up through one of these ratings systems. NLV as a whole is slightly worse than Las Vegas. Both are in the middle of the pack as far as comparable cities go...rural areas are much lower in crime. Your part is probably three or four times better than the NLV numbers.
KB DEFINITELY didnt mention any farms or odors....this is the 1st im hearing about it..

Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Oh, by the pig farm! It's smelly around there. They have a lot of pigs and I think it's called RC Farms. Do you ever watch the show Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel? It was featured on there once.

Do you know the middle and high school that the house is zoned for? I have subbed in just about all of the middle and high schools in the valley.

I'm one of the ones that points out the bad things about NLV. I lived in the valley for nearly 10 years, I just moved away at the end of last year. I personally wouldn't buy anywhere in NLV, but especially anywhere within smelling distance of RC Farms.

If you'd like to no more specifics or have questions that I can answer as a parent that moved my kids away from that city please feel free to send me a private message. If I post my thoughts here people get very upset and stomp their feet, they don't like opinions that agree with theirs (it's that whole "we love tolerance" thing but not if you disagree with me). :-)

But it sounds like it's a done deal. You bought the house already. That's kind of the problem about buying a home in a city that you don't really know. My advice would have been to move to the valley and live in an apartment for like the first 6 months so you could really take your time looking around and talking to people and comparing places.

I hope it does go well for you. Please report back to us what your thoughts are --- what you think after arriving, after 6 months, after a year, once you are ready to move away. :-)

Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316 View Post
KB DEFINITELY didnt mention any farms or odors....this is the 1st im hearing about it..
They may believe you live outside the impact area...and you may.

The deal is that there is a large pig farm...whose Las Vegas role is to eat all the scraps left over on the strip. It is at fifth and I think La Madre. Probably close to a mile from where you are. They have also been doing a lot of work on odor control.

But if you are out in your backyard one night and detect the slight essence of agriculture on the breeze...that is the pig farm.

I would not however sweat it if I were you It is far enough away to be "cute" rather than a draw back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas