Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,095 times

Advertisements

My 3 year old grand daughter would wear her UGG boots everyday in Vegas if we let her. Wears her cow rain boots when she helps water the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 PM

177 posts, read 357,213 times
Unless you are coming from Southern California, Southern Arizona, Southern Texas or Florida, you will probably feel warm here. However, you still need wear long sleeves plus a medium warm jacket. You may feel colder if the wind is blowing from the North.

Actually I miss the old days when I was in Southern California. I didn't have an air heater, didn't own any long sleeve shirts, and only owned a very thin jacket. Vegas is just a bit too cold for me.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
I was rather shocked that when I dropped my DD off at high school, there were tons of kids wearing Uggs. I was hoping there wouldn't be as my daughter was dying for a pair. Came back to MI and she got them (not from me, I would NEVER pay that kind of money for boots).

I did wear my winter coat there, but I do think your body acclimates after some time and you won't need it as much, eventually. Then again, I am always cold. I love the hot days, but whenever we went somewhere I always took a light jacket because evening can get cool and then there is the A/C.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:35 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
Unless you are coming from Southern California, Southern Arizona, Southern Texas or Florida, you will probably feel warm here. However, you still need wear long sleeves plus a medium warm jacket. You may feel colder if the wind is blowing from the North.

Actually I miss the old days when I was in Southern California. I didn't have an air heater, didn't own any long sleeve shirts, and only owned a very thin jacket. Vegas is just a bit too cold for me.
Have you not been here in the summer when it's over 110º? Summer lasts from early May until late October. Then it cools off, but usually stays in the 40s and 50s daytime temps. When it does get below freezing it's about an hour before dawn to an hour after dawn, then it warms back up. Very cold days are the exception rather than the rule.

I freeze when I go to San Diego summer or winter. LA's not very warm either. We do have winter but it's nothing compared to winter almost everywhere else but southern Arizona. It snows every five years, and then it is barely enough to count.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 AM

177 posts, read 357,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Have you not been here in the summer when it's over 110º? Summer lasts from early May until late October. Then it cools off, but usually stays in the 40s and 50s daytime temps. When it does get below freezing it's about an hour before dawn to an hour after dawn, then it warms back up. Very cold days are the exception rather than the rule.

I freeze when I go to San Diego summer or winter. LA's not very warm either. We do have winter but it's nothing compared to winter almost everywhere else but southern Arizona. It snows every five years, and then it is barely enough to count.
I am talking about the winter, not the summer.
Of course summer in Southern California is cooler, but winter is just the opposite way. It is typically 10-15 degrees warmer than Vegas. The average daytime temperature is 66 degrees in LA and SD and nighttime temeprature is 48 degrees. In the day, most of the time the temperature gets into the upper 60s, or even 70s. Then it only cools off to the upper 40s at night. During the afternoon you likely need to switch on your a/c in your car because it is just too warm. You almost never need an air heater at home as the temperature never dips below 40 degrees. I only wore short sleeves in the day and add a very think jacket at night. That is. If you are from Southern CA you will very likely feel cold here. You may see snow here once in 5 years but they have never seen once in their lifetime.

P.S. I studied college in San Diego and worked in LA for a few years.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
I am talking about the winter, not the summer.
Of course summer in Southern California is cooler, but winter is just the opposite way. It is typically 10-15 degrees warmer than Vegas. The average daytime temperature is 66 degrees in LA and SD and nighttime temperature is 48 degrees. In the day, most of the time the temperature gets into the upper 60s, or even 70s. Then it only cools off to the upper 40s at night. During the afternoon you likely need to switch on your a/c in your car because it is just too warm. You almost never need an air heater at home as the temperature never dips below 40 degrees. I only wore short sleeves in the day and add a very think jacket at night. That is. If you are from Southern CA you will very likely feel cold here. You may see snow here once in 5 years but they have never seen once in their lifetime.

P.S. I studied college in San Diego and worked in LA for a few years.
Well, that's true of winter in SoCal. I have friends in San Diego that don't need A/C at all, and almost never turn on their heat.

Weather in Albuquerque, New Mexico, is similar to SD, clean air and all. All you need there for A/C is a swamp cooler, but it does get cold enough in winter to switch from the swamp cooler to gas heat. We got a lot of use out of our wood burning fireplace too.

I love Las Vegas, but do not like the weather at any time of year. You could say it's because I'm older now that the heat bothers me, but I don't buy that when I hear people in their 20's complaining worse than I do. And that's a recent thing. Nobody complained much in the 60's and 70's, It's mostly been since the invasion of the 80's and 90's. The air here is bad, and it's worse in winter IMO. Now that I've cleared most of my allergies, spring isn't so bad, but it's still hard to be outside in the wind at any time. We have one month of great weather ...October. Even then it has been known to rain too much though.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helio88 View Post
do people wear uggs (the classics) and/or rainboots in las vegas? Since it's a desert I feel like uggs would be too hot to wear and since it rarely rains there, rainboots are also not necessary.

Are long sleeves worn commonly in las vegas?

During the winter, are ski jackets too warm to wear?

For the work environment, like in an office setting, what do people normally wear to accommodate for the hot weather? I'm assuming capris are unacceptable?
In winter longs sleeves are common. Its gets a lot colder in Las Vegas then people think. Average Jan High Temp runs about 54-60 low temp runs about 25-35, depending what part of the Valley you live in. Areas to the west are at higher elevations and have lower temps overall

Granted there will also be some serious wind in the winter time, as well as spring. Las Vegas even has an occasional snow event such as the one in December 2008 but that is rare

Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Well, that's true of winter in SoCal. I have friends in San Diego that don't need A/C at all, and almost never turn on their heat.

Weather in Albuquerque, New Mexico, is similar to SD, clean air and all. All you need there for A/C is a swamp cooler, but it does get cold enough in winter to switch from the swamp cooler to gas heat. We got a lot of use out of our wood burning fireplace too.

I love Las Vegas, but do not like the weather at any time of year. You could say it's because I'm older now that the heat bothers me, but I don't buy that when I hear people in their 20's complaining worse than I do. And that's a recent thing. Nobody complained much in the 60's and 70's, It's mostly been since the invasion of the 80's and 90's. The air here is bad, and it's worse in winter IMO. Now that I've cleared most of my allergies, spring isn't so bad, but it's still hard to be outside in the wind at any time. We have one month of great weather ...October. Even then it has been known to rain too much though.
I agree that the younger ones complain much more than when I was younger. I think that it has a lot to do with the fact that everyone has A/C now. When I was younger, noone did unless you had a lot of money. Now, people wouldn't dare buy a home without it. In MI, it gets nasty humid and we slept in an upstairs with ONE fan in the hallway (like that did anything!) basically it was to fool us that we were all getting a bit of air...yeah, right! We would put cold cloths on our foreheads. There weren't any ceiling fans then either. Noone had them. You didn't want to stay inside, you would rather be running through a sprinkler or sitting in the shade with a popsicle (that your mom made from kool-aid!)

Ok, well nothing like aging myself, but it is what it is and the younger gen is spoiled. (...and I helped)

My kids had to be forced to go outside because it was so cool inside, this made it feel even hotter outside. Everyone would tell me I should get an A/C unit on my camper. No way, they would never go out (heck, I might not!) Nope, we had a fan and the lake!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:07 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helio88 View Post
do people wear uggs (the classics) and/or rainboots in las vegas? Since it's a desert I feel like uggs would be too hot to wear and since it rarely rains there, rainboots are also not necessary.
I think most men wear rubbers...even though it's somewhat of an old-fashioned style.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
In winter longs sleeves are common. Its gets a lot colder in Las Vegas then people think. Average Jan High Temp runs about 54-60 low temp runs about 25-35, depending what part of the Valley you live in. Areas to the west are at higher elevations and have lower temps overall

Granted there will also be some serious wind in the winter time, as well as spring. Las Vegas even has an occasional snow event such as the one in December 2008 but that is rare
Well, Davie, I see you're already a Las Vegan and you haven't even moved here yet.

You may be surprised to know that the lower parts of the valley are not only warmer than the higher elevations in the summer time, they are also colder in the winter time. The colder at lower levels part I understand, as hot air rises, and it's just like people on the top floors of buildings get the heat coming up from below; but the warmer in summer part I don't get, and I've had two weather persons try to explain it to me. You'd think that if hot air rises in winter it would also rise in summer and leave colder air at the bottom, but that's not the way it works. I think it may have to do with creating a draft as it rises in summer that cools the air, causing it to recirculate or something. Anyway, the folks in the western part of the Valley may be at higher elevations, but the coldest air in winter, and hottest in summer, is on the east side in the lower elevations.

Your Local Weather has been brought to you as a community service of Buzz's Dumb Things to Know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: