Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 PM

383 posts, read 901,384 times

Advertisements

What can I expect to pay for basuic cable and internet service in Green Valley. Are the providers the same or do most people have seperate cable and internet. Also what are the recommended companies please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Probably around $100/month, depending on what TV and internet packages you get. Cox is our provider, but we're in the northwest. You could give them a call and see if they cover the area you're looking at, and if so, ask about their pricing.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:48 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
I think my cable and internet (middle tier) is around $120 w/ Showtime & HBO through Cox.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:08 AM

383 posts, read 901,384 times
Thanks I started looking at bundles on their website today. Do you guy use them for the phone as well. If not who do you use. I think when I get up there as I am coming from Costa Rica with my passport and ss card and a CR drivers license I will buy a net 10 phone to get a local number. For a $100 at walmart you get like 600 minutes across U.S. When I have an address which should be within ten days of getting there I will go get my drivers license which should make it easier to get everything else I need. I have already looked at some houses and have a real estate friend helping on that end. Just gonna stay small for the first year just my wife, seven year old son and I. I looked at a few 1000 to 1100 sq ft condos with gas ovens. I have an idea about my electric bill was wondering about gas bill? Any insight on general utilities is greatly appreciated. Trust me I understand things will be tight the first year so the more help budgeting the better.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:53 AM

I havent had a home phone in 10 years, dont see a need for one with cell phones.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:25 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricageorge View Post
Thanks I started looking at bundles on their website today. Do you guy use them for the phone as well. If not who do you use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I havent had a home phone in 10 years, dont see a need for one with cell phones.
I hadn't had a landline for years either until I moved here a couple of months ago. Originally, I wasn't planning to get one here either, but with Cox's bundle, it seemed so cheap, I went ahead and got it. And by doing so, I saved myself some money on my cell phone plan because otherwise I would have had to increase our monthly minutes, so for me, it was almost a wash.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:31 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
I live in a gated community without a guard. When someone drives up to the gate, they push a button next to my name, which triggers a telephone call to my house land line. I then punch a "9" to open the gate for them. They tell me it doesn't work with a cell phone, but somehow, I think they are wrong, but I haven't bothered to fight with the HOA about it.

That is one reason I have a land line.

The second reason is for a security system. The security system I have calls out on a land line. there is a module to have it call via a cell phone, but that was quite a bit more money, so I just bit the bullet & got a land line.

With Cox bundle, I was able to get $15/mo for the landline (free unlimited local calling) plus $.05/min long distance (I think I pay $5/mo to get the $.05/min)

If it were not for the gate & the security system, I wouldn't bother with a land line either.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:18 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,920 times
For landline phone, why don't you just sign up the internet phone (VOIP). There are so many cheap VOIP out there nowadays. The one I use now, I only pay $5 per month for unlimited incomming call and $0.018 per minutes within U.S. And it IS very reliable.
However, some internet provider will block your VOIP service, for example, Comcast in California will block VOIP because they want you to use Comcast's own VOIP and that is around $19.99 per month...go figure.

Last edited by Scott456; 05-16-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I hadn't had a landline for years either until I moved here a couple of months ago. Originally, I wasn't planning to get one here either, but with Cox's bundle, it seemed so cheap, I went ahead and got it. And by doing so, I saved myself some money on my cell phone plan because otherwise I would have had to increase our monthly minutes, so for me, it was almost a wash.
True, If I recall you moved here retired right?

If I wasnt at work all day, where everyone knows how to get hold of me, I'd probably have a land line.

Re alarm: ADT goes to my cell from the office security system. I never thought of the security gate, that's probably a good reason to have a land line. Were I live there are only two other houses and nobody wants to pay the monthly fee to activate the system to ring the home phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas