Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM

119 posts, read 379,688 times

Advertisements

I red in complete astonishment the EXCELLENT and eye opining thread from a few weeks back about the presence of scorpions and black widow spiders in Las Vegas (pictures included).I was completely dumbfounded by the prevalence of these critters in the city and even more so by the cavalier attitude that some have regarding this problem !!
If you happened to be allergic to the black widow bite or scorpion sting the consequences can be tragic... as in lethal!!and even if your not complications can still arise.One need only to read the testimonies posted in that thread from many unfortunate and unsuspecting souls whom ended up enduring all sorts of major discomforts and even local paralysis in the infected area after a sting or bite to realize that this is not a joke!!
These PESTS are not like the "concrete spiders"(or little mice) that are found in the north eastern homes and apartments or the odd angry : wasps,black flies or bees flying in and around those same north eastern suburban backyard pools, attracted by the wonderful aroma of a BBQ but angered by your presence...this is serious!!!!
However it seem to me after reading that thread that the problem was more common in the suburbs(unless mistaken) or in "away from the strip" areas,rather than close to it.
Therefore My question is about the presence of scorpion/black widow infestation in near by strip neighborhoods like: McNeil,scotch 80,Rancho Bel-air,Rancho Circle,Rancho Nevada Estates,Spanish oaks,L.V.C.C.,Paradise Palms and Paradise Crest,Do they have that problem? If possible I would like for anyone to let me know what the situation his ESPECIALLY if you happen to be a resident (or have been one in the past)your informed opinion(s) would be greatly appreciated.
Having being on the Strip many times staying on wknds for 10 NFL seasons(except for last 2),I know for a fact that this problem does not exist in the strip hotels and condos.The worst i ever seen in 10 seasons of regular week-end visits was a cockroach on a coke machine in the Imperial Palace and a lonely earwig on my room wall at the MGM Grand(but that was 2yrs ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
I red in complete astonishment the EXCELLENT and eye opining thread from a few weeks back about the presence of scorpions and black widow spiders in Las Vegas (pictures included).I was completely dumbfounded by the prevalence of these critters in the city and even more so by the cavalier attitude that some have regarding this problem !!
If you happened to be allergic to the black widow bite or scorpion sting the consequences can be tragic... as in lethal!!and even if your not complications can still arise.One need only to read the testimonies posted in that thread from many unfortunate and unsuspecting souls whom ended up enduring all sorts of major discomforts and even local paralysis in the infected area after a sting or bite to realize that this is not a joke!!
These PESTS are not like the "concrete spiders"(or little mice) that are found in the north eastern homes and apartments or the odd angry : wasps,black flies or bees flying in and around those same north eastern suburban backyard pools, attracted by the wonderful aroma of a BBQ but angered by your presence...this is serious!!!!
However it seem to me after reading that thread that the problem was more common in the suburbs(unless mistaken) or in "away from the strip" areas,rather than close to it.
Therefore My question is about the presence of scorpion/black widow infestation in near by strip neighborhoods like: McNeil,scotch 80,Rancho Bel-air,Rancho Circle,Rancho Nevada Estates,Spanish oaks,L.V.C.C.,Paradise Palms and Paradise Crest,Do they have that problem? If possible I would like for anyone to let me know what the situation his ESPECIALLY if you happen to be a resident (or have been one in the past)your informed opinion(s) would be greatly appreciated.
Having being on the Strip many times staying on wknds for 10 NFL seasons(except for last 2),I know for a fact that this problem does not exist in the strip hotels and condos.The worst i ever seen in 10 seasons of regular week-end visits was a cockroach on a coke machine in the Imperial Palace and a lonely earwig on my room wall at the MGM Grand(but that was 2yrs ago).
Where on earth are you reading all this? Black widows are common everywhere in the US below latitude 45...that is all but the coldests parts of the US. They are present in all deserts and everywhere in the south and midwest. They are not particularly bad in Las Vegas. Most residents will have never seen one. Hell I have never seen one in the house.

Bark scorpions are not natural to Las Vegas they occur in small clusters generally where they were brought in from AZ often in palm trees. Note that it has been many years since the last death from a scorpion sting in AZ where they are an order of magnitude more common.

Again very few Las Vegans have ever seen one any more been stung.

If you should happen to buy a home in an area with a bark scorpion infestation you may want to knock the population down. But that is so rare that very few people have actually had the problem. In the NW I know of two locations that have any significant population of scorpions. And I get in a lot of homes.

You will find black widows in any neighborhood. Just got to look in the right place.

Scorpions are almost impossible to find unless you know where to look. Again perhaps around palm trees. Very few neighborhoods have any...in old or new Las Vegas.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:34 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,927 times
quit freaking out. it isn't that serious.

1st off, if i remember correctly, the scorps pictured were desert hairy scorps...sting is about equal to a bee or a wasp. the chance of allergic reaction is about the same as well. and they aren't that common in the city. the small bark scorpions are the ones that have come in w/ the landscaping...and while they do have a significantly more severe sting, i don't think you really need to worry about them in established neighborhoods (they are not native...they arrived w/ palms from AZ, i believe).

2nd...i have almost always lived in close proximity to black widows (NM, CA, and here). they want about as much to do w/ us as we do w/ them. i think you would be hard pressed to live in an area completely free from them (i had a resident one behind my desk for three years in LA....it stayed on its side, i stayed on mine and we had no problems). granted, go crawling around in a crawl space or dark, cluttered garage and you'll pbby see one or two...but don't mess w/ them and they won't mess w/ you.

i would be more worried about a mouse infestation than an arachnid one...they get into your food and actually want to be in the same places you do.

but if you are truly worried, there are steps you can take to minimize your chance of exposure to them. talk to our resident exterminator.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,993 times
im sure bugbully can give you some tips and pointers

Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
quit freaking out. it isn't that serious.

and while they do have a significantly more severe sting, i don't think you really need to worry about them in established neighborhoods (they are not native...they arrived w/ palms from AZ, i believe).
but if you are truly worried, there are steps you can take to minimize your chance of exposure to them. talk to our resident exterminator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Very few neighborhoods have any...in old or new Las Vegas
Thank a bunch Olie and Jimmy for clarifying the situation,i would hate after partying on Sunday night after a lucrative NFL week-end,to slide under my sheet only to find one of those little sh*ts waiting for me. or in my sleepers when i finally wake up with a bad hang over before returning home to canada (or Denver).The only scorpions i look for are those on 2 legs whom have nice "jugs" and a Brazilian bikini wax job
know whatamean.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Yeah, I can't speak much on black widows but I find and house bark scorpions and you'll find they're not scary at all, and they're pretty friendly! I named one Steve and feed him crickets... he eats them like cheeseburgers but he hasn't harmed me and I've been handling him! They're not at all aggressive. They're much more likely to be scared of you than you be scared of him.

Humans... pfff - that's who you should be afraid of in Vegas.

P.S. When I re-read my post, I thought someone might think I'm being sarcastic or kidding -- I'm not. "Steve" really eats his crickets like they're cheeseburgers and they're thoroughly enjoyable to watch - and not at all aggressive.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 05-13-2008 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Ugh. I don't know what possesses me to read these "bug" threads. Morbid curiosity, I suppose.

But...if you are allergic to bee stings it can also be lethal. So, they are not a better sting. You cannot be allergic to something that you have not been previously exposed to so...watch your second sting!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Yeah, I can't speak much on black widows but I find and house bark scorpions and you'll find they're not scary at all, and they're pretty friendly! I named one Steve and feed him crickets... he eats them like cheeseburgers but he hasn't harmed me and I've been handling him! They're not at all aggressive. They're much more likely to be scared of you than you be scared of him.

Humans... pfff - that's who you should be afraid of in Vegas.

P.S. When I re-read my post, I thought someone might think I'm being sarcastic or kidding -- I'm not. "Steve" really eats his crickets like they're cheeseburgers and they're thoroughly enjoyable to watch - and not at all aggressive.

Hilarious Puddy,
by the way..... does Steve have a sister!?
ask him you might get lucky

seriously though, Your not kidding about the humans....
I am still outrage by the Privet murder even if i am not married and do not have kids of my own or know these unfortunate people personally in anyway i do however feel really bad for them.,
i have 6 nephews and 1 niece witch i love and his very close too.There are all around young Christ privet age or a little younger,i can only guest what is poor parents and uncle(s)are feeling right now.
I can only hope that the government will do the right thing FOR ONCE!! and give all 3 of those little subhumans that needlessly and cowardly murdered him the death penalty!!!.
Has anybody heard of the latest home invasion?.....

Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,040 times
You really can't tell if the places you are talking about have a problem. One might, one might not. When you move just get a treatment, and the technician, if they know what they are doing, are able to tell you if you have any problems, and what they found. If you were reading the tread that we put in about them being poisonous or venomous it was just showing what could happen (which is not very often at all!!!!) If you are allergic that is different, but that depends on you.

I have lived here for almost 10 years, and the only scorpions and black widows I have seen are from my techs bringing them in to me or on a couple of scorpion hunts I went on. But I will say this year is the most complaints that I have heard in the whole time I have been in the business (almost 10 years). Which is good for me!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,012 times
Default Scorpion Infestation Las Vegas

My question is about the presence of scorpion/black widow infestation in near by strip neighborhoods....................

Have been here since December and have an ongoing Bark Scorpion infestation in our brand new Mountains Edge home at Yellowstone. We are on our third exterminator and get monthly service. In fact we were sprayed three days ago and I sit here with a newly dead Bark Scorpion from the closet in one of our rooms (quite alive until I nailed him with a shoe). We have removed all our plate covers and light fixtures sprayed behind them, sprayed up in the attic, the garage, all room , all around the house and they are immune from the spray I sumise. We are thinking to go to twice a month spraying but I cannot see how that is going to work if they are alive and kicking days after a spraying. With two young children and an elderly mother in the house I am quite worried. My wife has already stepped on one in the middle of the hallway and they seem quite willing to wander the house. My ten month old daughter would probably want to secure it to put it in her mouth. Any ideas on how to beat this problem ?

Niels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: