Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 17,700 times

Advertisements

I don't know what to do anymore! My neighbors keep their dogs outside all day! It's almost 110* degrees now! I've talked to the people that own these dogs and they let me know that the dogs belong outside b/c they've never been allowed inside. Therefore, they are not potty trained.

The two dogs are large breeds. Both about 7 years old. Outside 24 hours a day. I called animal control and they did a well check. According to Las Vegas Animal Control: The dogs have a kids' doll house they can get into for shade.

Seriously.

Please let me know what I should do! These dogs look miserable. Just plain miserable.

** Another note on these poor pups: They DO NOT have pads to sleep on. They sleep on ROCKS. The doll house is tiny. There is no way they could fit into it together and on top of that it's plastic!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 02:36 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
Sounds like you have done everything you can do. Your best bet is to reiterate to the neighbor how you feel about it.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:38 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
Nevada SPCA

As a minimum, these dogs should have shade and a kiddie pool.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:45 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times
In some cities the SPCA shelters are so overflowing they won't pick up animals unless it's dire.

If I were you, I'd call breed specific rescues to enlist some help. Use your imagination.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:20 PM

95 posts, read 416,798 times
I was born & raised in Las Vegas & spent 40 years there until moving away a couple years ago. Unfortunately, as a dog lover myself, I witnessed what you are describing as fairly common in Las Vegas. Seems like the people just don't care. Of course if you don't bring your dogs inside & potty train them, dogs won't be potty trained. And of course when you don't bring them in very often they'll be excited to see you & might actually do something that makes people not want to bring them in. These people should never have taken home a dog. It's very cruel. Seemed so overwhelming. Sorry I can't offer advice. Seems like the local shelters & ASPCA have enough issues just dealing with pit bulls in Las Vegas...

Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
If animal control can't do anything then there is nothing else you can do. You cannot force someone to give up their pet unless they are violating a law. SPCA can't take them if animal control cannot take them.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Offer to give the neighbor a kiddie pool full of water. You are clearly very empathetic to the dogs needs as am I when it comes to animals. I can't see why they would refuse a free gift.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 PM

489 posts, read 1,325,043 times
Does your neighbor have a covered patio area or a pool? These things can help a lot. My parents live in the desert (not LV) and have 3 large outdoor only dogs. The dogs are fine in the summer. They have a large shaded patio area and a large in ground pool. My parents work from home, and often spray the dogs with the hose to keep them cool. So I do think that although not ideal, it's possible to to keep animals outside in the summer, but it all depends on their outdoor environment. If these animals don't have anything like I mentioned, then maybe you could do as others have suggested and buy them a kiddie pool, or a shade umbrella.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 PM

439 posts, read 959,376 times
Default Bad Doggie Parents

Call the local news station and have them reported for animal cruelty. I would love to take people like that and make them stay outside in 105+ heat and ly on rocks and concrete. They have no business with pets that they do not have the time to train. Here in Virginia the good ole folks leave dogs chained to their trailers 24/7 and do not see a problem they are just animals. If the local new folks or paper would run a show maybe after having a zillion folks visit their house with signs they would give up their pets to deserving familes. I realize that humane societies are filled with idiot people's beloved pets. Maybe taking the other writers comments to notify breed rescue would be successful or call the dog wisperer...these folks need some education. Please do not give up on these little lives as you are probably their only hope.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:48 PM

197 posts, read 549,265 times
if animal control does not find or see a problem then there is really nothing wrong.

Last edited by PAS36BH; 06-07-2010 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas