Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM

317 posts, read 1,003,150 times

Advertisements

Plan C.- " WINTER BIRDS "

Last time I feel myself less motivated to move to LV right now
(summer is to hot time in LV, job not very good...etc.,...) - but if the price will go a little down I think (as plan C) we can buy some home ( up to $200K) and use it as vacation home for 3-4 months in winter time.

We can afford to pay a mortgage in LV and rent in CA, also IT job in LA of SF/SJ, CA pay ~$20K more what same job in LV so we do not need to work all year.

So how much we need to spend when home is vacant and what should we do to keep it safe from criminals , hot weather , scorpions, etc,.( you name it )......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:00 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
Plan C.- " WINTER BIRDS "

Last time I feel myself less motivated to move to LV right now
(summer is to hot time in LV, job not very good...etc.,...) - but if the price will go a little down I think (as plan C) we can buy some home ( up to $200K) and use it as vacation home for 3-4 months in winter time.

We can afford to pay a mortgage in LV and rent in CA, also IT job in LA of SF/SJ, CA pay ~$20K more what same job in LV so we do not need to work all year.

So how much we need to spend when home is vacant and what should we do to keep it safe from criminals , hot weather , scorpions, etc,.( you name it )......
20k is going to be eaten up QUICKLY in CA by state income tax and the over all MUCH higher cost of living in the Bay Area...I don't blame you one bit for wanting to live there BUT it would be very wise IMHO to live there awhile before investing in out of state real estate.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 PM

I know ALL about living/work in the Bay Area ( previous experience), so I need only numbers about LV

Old 05-31-2010, 07:12 PM

Okay...Then I would recommend buying a Townhouse or Condo somewhere rather than single family residential. Fewer upkeep issues and possibly more secure.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Okay...Then I would recommend buying a Townhouse or Condo somewhere rather than single family residential. Fewer upkeep issues and possibly more secure.
Ok, Townhouse or Condo BUT as
plan D -Townhouse and
plan E -Condo

I want family residential more

\ my Plan A - live in LV most time and Plan B was -> rent it to same one

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
If the place has a pool you must have a pool service. About $100 per month...a little less in the winter.

If you got landscaping you need a gardener. $25 to $100 a month depending on how fancy.

You should probably have an alarm system with at least enough smarts to call you when something happens. $500 to $1000.

If you want to get real secure...Rolladens on the hidden windows and doors...$2K to $5K. Otherwise good doors and locks $500.

You need someone in town to deal with problems. $0 to $50 per month.

So figure $100 a month plus a couple of grand up front. Another $100 with a pool.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:19 PM

Also you will need to keep the water on for the landscaping and the electricity on to run the sprinkler system. Neither would be a huge expense but potential water damage from a leaking or broken pipe could turn into a nightmare.

I am unsure how many HOA's will allow Rolladens in a decent neighborhood (unless things have changed recently).

Old 05-31-2010, 08:21 PM

What about Home Owner's Insurance ?

I am looking this link now - is it same problem with Home Owner's Insurance in LV too ?

Vacant Home Owner's Insurance Policy

Thanks !

Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM

177 posts, read 357,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
If the place has a pool you must have a pool service. About $100 per month...a little less in the winter.

If you got landscaping you need a gardener. $25 to $100 a month depending on how fancy.

You should probably have an alarm system with at least enough smarts to call you when something happens. $500 to $1000.

If you want to get real secure...Rolladens on the hidden windows and doors...$2K to $5K. Otherwise good doors and locks $500.

You need someone in town to deal with problems. $0 to $50 per month.

So figure $100 a month plus a couple of grand up front. Another $100 with a pool.
Then getting a condo seems a better move.
Pool- you don't have to deal with a private pool. Many condos have public pools and are managed by the HOA.
Landscaping- the HOA takes care of it

Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 PM

Yeah (to your question about the insurance) that is how home insurance works , though often you can just get a different policy through the same company...and you really shouldn't try to finance as a primary property either because the mortgage companies can take action if you are not honest about that. So your interest rate will be a little higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: