Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:35 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times

Advertisements

One of my friends is marriage/wedding officer in San Francisco, she often tells me of foreign couples getting married in San Francisco City Hall. I don't know the requirements but it shouldn't be hard to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 10:02 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You can get married anywhere you like. But CBP may have an issue with it.
Immigration is federal, marriage is state/municipality. Marital status has no impact on immigration status until you petition for spousal visa.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Immigration is federal, marriage is state/municipality. Marital status has no impact on immigration status until you petition for spousal visa.
Upon entry into the US, especially a woman from Ukraine, with stated intent of getting married in US will raise CBP’s hackles over the potential of the person becoming an intended immigrant. She could be refused entry, visa cancelled and stuffed on a plane back to the Ukraine.

I am willing to bet the Canadian can’t get her into Canada thus trying to arrive at Canadian border with spouse. Canada will then allow her in.

But CBP won’t care about that. The impression is she is an intended immigrant into the US and that can make her inadmissible to the US. Yep, CBP will be very involved.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Upon entry into the US, especially a woman from Ukraine, with stated intent of getting married in US will raise CBP’s hackles over the potential of the person becoming an intended immigrant. She could be refused entry, visa cancelled and stuffed on a plane back to the Ukraine.

I am willing to bet the Canadian can’t get her into Canada thus trying to arrive at Canadian border with spouse. Canada will then allow her in.

But CBP won’t care about that. The impression is she is an intended immigrant into the US and that can make her inadmissible to the US. Yep, CBP will be very involved.
You seem a bit paranoid. Ever been to Vegas?

Old 10-30-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:

A bit Debbie Downer? As long as the foreign party has binding ties to show and who/when/where a Canadian marries a foreigner in the US is of no interest.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadon View Post
Can I, a Canadian citizen, come to NY and marry a Russian citizen coming from Russia? Neither of us has a US citizenship or green card.
Sounds like Uranium to me

Old 10-30-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
You seem a bit paranoid. Ever been to Vegas?
Women from Russia and the Ukraine coming in to get married without K1 visa? CBP will closely examine them. The OP says come to US to get married. But traveler from Ukraine or Russia arriving on one way ticket.

Huge red flags.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
A bit Debbie Downer? As long as the foreign party has binding ties to show and who/when/where a Canadian marries a foreigner in the US is of no interest.
The Canadian is not the issue. The Ukrainian or Russian is.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:13 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,745 times
why is this even discussed here? they're both non US citizens, and both have no green cards. the question is, not one of them can file for a visa for each other as each one has no ties to the US whatsoever. the only way they can come in is on tourist visa.

why are people thinking that there's a way for either partner to have a path to immigration just because they're getting married here? NOT one of them is a US citizen--again--no jobs here, no schooling here, no mention of family here, no business here. how can they even get a GC without such ties to the US?

all they can do is file a tourist visa for themselves. and good luck if they can come in on that, especially the one from russia

Old 12-27-2017, 05:46 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Address, Driver License, Social Security number is required otherwise how will the Local County track you. I understand that rules are different but still.
The question is incomplete.
Two non US citizens getting married is possible. But atleast one of them has address,driving license, social security and both should be able to show Foreign passport.
I have attended marriage ceremony for two foreign citizens but they were graduate students with address, license and all.
I cannot say about two tourists in Hotel walking in the county office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration