Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 PM

22 posts, read 85,532 times

Advertisements

How come not alot of japanese are immigratiing to the us these days? Will in the future the united states get alot of japanese immigrants because i heard that japan's population is expected to drop so much to point where alot japanese will be coming to the united states in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I think it's because Japan went through a period of rapid development so there wasn't as much need to leave it to "seek a better life." One might think Japanese immigration to the US would have went up again after they went into recession in the 1990s, and maybe it did some, but by that time I think some of the countries closer by had advanced a great deal. I think these days Japanese who want to leave might be more likely to think of Australia or Southeast Asia.

That's my theory for now anyway.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Twin Tale: Rising China, Japan's setting sun - CNN.com

The above link is a CNN news item about twin sisters born in Japan. One stayed in Japan and the other emigrated to China. The one who emigrated is much more upbeat about her choice and does not plan to ever return to Japan.

An interesting point raised in the article is that one third of all Japanese between the ages of 20 and 30 are unemployed, and with China booming right next door the Japanese government is fearful of a brain drain.

By the year 2050 40% of the Japanese population will be over 65 years old and that there will be only 2 workers to support each retiree. If a significant number of Japanese twenty-somethings opt to seek their future in other countries, then the Japanese problem of its rapidly aging demographic will accelerate.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Japan is considered a modern industrial state, and as such immigration to another industrialized country is difficult.
As strong as the post-war connection between Japan and the U.S.A. was through the millenium (learning English is
practically a sport in Japan) the problem is that Japans' success was their anchor.

Example: when my wife graduated from T.I.T. along with her sister, and Tiennamen Square happened, all her Beijing High School students in Canada/U.S.A. immediately ran over to their respective consulate and claimed refugee status. My wife couldn't because with a Japanese Masters' Degree from T.I.T. she had access to a "safe" industrial country, and therefore had choices.

Our brother-in-law was recruited in Japan by 3M from the same school (Japans' version of M.I.T. or CalTech) and has worked in Minneapolis all his adult life. If you're recruited by the big boys you're in. Period.

It's a crying shame. Japan is one of the few sources in the world where you don't have to attempt to teach "work ethic" or the "logic" of taking ENGLISH LANGUAGE classes in order to function in North America. Sheesh.
Japanese however can work, in Canada at least, on an ongoing year by year basis without much trouble. Unlike Austrailia, where the work permit is granted only once for one year.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Japan is one of the few sources in the world where you don't have to teach the "logic" of taking ENGLISH LANGUAGE classes in order to function in North America
Not anymore by a long shot:

English is the lingua franca of Europeans as two thirds speak the language which has squeezed out all its rivals

English is the lingua franca of Europeans as two thirds speak the language which has squeezed out all its rivals | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration