Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times

Advertisements

If a person is applying for a tourist visa for a conference and they state that after the conference they will be going to a different city to spend time with their significant other would that hurt or help the possiblities? Is that something that could be a red flag in the sense they would go out and do a marriage for a visa or anything like that? Are there any certain websites that talk about ways that help/hurt an application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
I wouldn't mention you were going to visist a "SO" - just say "a friend". Why give them any reason to deny you entry.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:53 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
I went to the US for 4 months on a tourist Visa to visit my then gf (now Fiancé), I had absolutely no problem attaining the visa, as long as you hav sufficient proof of reason to go back home.

In my case it was enough that I'd been accepted for a class at the end of those 4 months, I had no job and was not presently in school.

Might also help that I'm from Norway, my Fiancé visa interview was a breeze too, as the case handler said: "We don't really get many Norwegians, for obvious reasons."

Honesty is always better, if you're just going there to spend some time and have no intention of trying to get residency, I don't think you'll have much problems.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:20 AM

30 posts, read 88,577 times
My wife came in with a tourist visa (we were already married) while I was on a TN visa. We had no problems coming in together. After a few months she came back to Mexico and applied for the TD.

On the other hand, I've had problems crossing via Laredo, TX with all our paperwork in order because I spoke Spanish to the border crossing official there. She was of more Mexican descent than me (I'm highly mixed race) and had last names even more common in Mexico than mine. I think she was just being a ******.

Anyway, I think it's a hit or miss, but I would just go for it and not lie.

Last edited by robtrevino; 12-05-2010 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: adding info

Old 12-10-2010, 04:46 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Mostly you will asked to show proof of a return ticket while entering the USA. If you don't have a return ticket you might not be able to enter the US.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:37 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Mostly you will asked to show proof of a return ticket while entering the USA. If you don't have a return ticket you might not be able to enter the US.
I think one is asked to show proof of a return/round-trip ticket at the point of departure/origin before leaving for the USA.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think one is asked to show proof of a return/round-trip ticket at the point of departure/origin before leaving for the USA.
I'm assuming that only applies when you don't have an immigration visa?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Yes; this thread is about a tourist visa after all. When we immigrated (me with a spousal visa, USC husband and babies), we had one way tickets and that was no problem (once we explained to the clueless airline employee that yes, this was ok, and they checked with their supervisor...)

Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Yes; this thread is about a tourist visa after all. When we immigrated (me with a spousal visa, USC husband and babies), we had one way tickets and that was no problem (once we explained to the clueless airline employee that yes, this was ok, and they checked with their supervisor...)
Cool, just spooked me a little bit.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:56 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
As mentioned already a return/round-trip ticket is only needed when one comes to the USA on a non-immigration visa. (The thread is about a tourist visa so I didn't think that I needed to specify that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration