Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:27 AM

23 posts, read 38,625 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. I know, that immigrating to the US is a tough work. Immigrating from Russia is much harder. Anyway, immigrating to the US is my wish since I was 9 years old. I am from Russia. But I believe, that I know America better that my own country
I think it would be a good opporunity for me, to start my new life in the US.
But it's a difficult decision.
On one hand I am tired of Russia and I wanna leave it as soon as possible. On the other hand Russians are not claimed in the US.
I am fond of politics. I have a political education. Maybe I can be useful in the US
I need an advise. What is the best way of immigrating to the US legally and finding job according to my education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "Russians are not 'claimed' in the U.S." Perhaps can you clarify?

Once you get your visa, the easiest way to immigrate to the U.S. is to focus your efforts on a city that has a fairly established Russian immigrant population (New York comes to mind though we have a handful here in Chicago as well) and search for a Russian community association in that city. Use Google to find their contact information and let them know you're interested in coming here. Many such places have resources to get new immigrants situated when they arrive and can tell you what you need to do to start the process.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:04 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
Are you asking how you can get a visa?
It will be very difficult; the Diversity Visa Lottery may be your best option.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 AM

Drover,
thank a lot. I was wondering if LA is a good place to immigrate and finding a good job there?
Could you, please, tell me about LA?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 AM

Penguin_ie,
perhaps. But I'm unlucky in all sorts of Lotteries. But I hope, that there must be another way to get visa, without relying on my luck

Old 04-01-2011, 03:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryDayNight View Post
Drover,
thank a lot. I was wondering if LA is a good place to immigrate and finding a good job there?
Could you, please, tell me about LA?
I only have general information about L.A. because I live about 3,000km away and have only been there once. And that was a long time ago.

It's an expensive city. The weather is very pleasant there, which is a major reason why it's so expensive. It almost never snows, and as long as you live within a few miles of the ocean, it never gets very hot either.

It's a very big city -- 4 million people in the city of Los Angeles alone and another 15 million in the surrounding metropolitan area. There are lots of immigrants there since it sits right near an international border (with Mexico) and is an ocean port city. There are 1.5 million immigrants in the city itself, not counting the surrounding metropolitan area. There's probably a fairly well-established Russian community there, at least one large enough to help get you settled.

This web page might be a good place to start gathering information about the Los Angeles area:

www.ROSTOC.us - Russian Community Info - Southern California: Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego ...

Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 AM

Drover, thanks again! I was sure that I would get no advise, except of being some sort of subjected to criticism
I will do everything, that will help me leave Russia and immigrate to the US. Thanks for your advises and web page link.
If I manage to arrive to the US, hope we'll meet. Cause I have a few friends in New Jersey. That must be no far from you.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 AM

Oops! I've just noticed, that you are 3000 km away from LA, but it's not NY or NJ.
Any way the "Windy City", is also one of places in my list to visit.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:38 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
You are not going to get a work visa with your current qualification. You could look into furthering your studies in the USA on a F1 student visa, that is quite easy to get but expensive, as you need to pay uni fees and can only work limited hours on-campus.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
In the first "sticky" on this page you''ll find a link to the USCIS website which is easily navigable and will tell you everything you need to know about US immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration