Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 04:14 AM

81 posts, read 317,000 times

Advertisements

OK I wanted to ask when will i could send green card?
I have started university in 2010 september 15 and I am planning to finnish my studys in 2016 January 31.What year I could send green card as much as possible faster 2014-15??.I don't know how much time does it takes to get all documents and to go to usa.I cant leave untile i graduate in 2016 jaunary 31.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
I don't understand your question. You cannot just send for a greencard, you need to apply for a visa. How long the process takes will depend on the type of visa you wish to apply for; for example work visas can take anything from a few weeks for an expedited one if your employer is very keen on you, to years for some others. Spousal visas take about a year, and with the Diversity Lottery it depends a bit on when your interview is scheduled, it can be anything from a year after you apply to almost two years.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Is the OP really a College student...wow, I never attended College but I believe my English is way better and also my knowledge about a Greencard is way better....now way the OP can get a greencard by applying, you have to be eligible to be able to apply for it.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
Just because you attend a college or university in the US does NOT mean that you are eligible for a green card. Unless you fall into one of several specifically outlined categories (such as being immediate relative of a US citizen, being sponsored by a company, or having won the Diversity lottery), you are not in a position that allows you to apply. If if you do fall within one of those categories, you still need to meet certain requirements (such as financial security, clean criminal record, etc.).

Start here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Nowhere does the poster say he's at a US university. His location is Switzerland.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:11 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Last year OP wanted to the US, earlier this year it was the UK:>)

Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Is the OP really a College student...wow, I never attended College but I believe my English is way better and also my knowledge about a Greencard is way better....now way the OP can get a greencard by applying, you have to be eligible to be able to apply for it.
The OP is Swiss, in Switzerland they speak German and French and smaller groups speak Italian and Romansh, all 4 are official languages. English is usually their 3rd language, not first or second, sometimes it's the 4th.

...How many do you speak?

To the OP: I think you need to clarify your question a little bit, what form of Green Card do you wish to pursue?

Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 AM

441 posts, read 1,327,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
OK I wanted to ask when will i could send green card?
I have started university in 2010 september 15 and I am planning to finnish my studys in 2016 January 31.What year I could send green card as much as possible faster 2014-15??.I don't know how much time does it takes to get all documents and to go to usa.I cant leave untile i graduate in 2016 jaunary 31.

The path is usually like this. Student visa (either F-1 or J-1), after that H-1B Visa upgrade.. and after that green card application.

After you get H-1B (assuming you will be postdoc or employed somewhere) there is a good chance to get green card after 3-7 years. So... 2020 :-)

Good day.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 AM

61 posts, read 200,669 times
There is no clear guidance or regulation from the USCIS regarding whether a student is still under F-1 status if s/he has applied for I-485 adjustment of status. Since a student visa doesn't allow "dual intent" as in H or L visas, it seems that filing a green card application - a clear indication of immigrant intent - would terminate one's F1 status immediately. However, there have been strong arguments, precedent cases and even informal remarks from USCIS personnel that indicate one may, in fact, maintain both F1 and AOS status.

Since USCIS may issue new guidance on this matter in the future, students under this situation must be even more careful with their status issues and on- or off-campus employment opportunities. We definitely recommend applying for EAD along with your 485 application. Additionally, an advance parole (AP) is absolutely necessary if you intend to travel abroad, not only to avoid abandonment of your AOS, but also because you will have a hard time explaining to a consulate officer why you still qualify for an F1 nonimmigrant visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration