Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM

81 posts, read 166,093 times

Advertisements

My stepson met a girl over the Internet. They've been 'dating' for over a year, they've talked back and forth about him coming up there or her coming down here.

Now it looks like she'd like to move to the US. Years and years ago I used to know what it would take for one citizen to move to be near another citizen but I no longer am in the no. He's tried looking up the info, but I don't think he's trying real hard, or is just seeing what he wants to see.

So if anyone has recent experience with being from Canada and wanting to live and work within the US I'd appreciate it.

Here's what I know. She's in Newfoundland, we're in TN. She's 24 and has a degree as a baker and has over $20K saved up. She also has some medical issues but nothing life threatening. He is almost 19, just started working almost full time and will be starting college in the fall.

Yeah, don't get me started on why I think this is a bad idea, I'm not for this in any way shape or form, but you can't tell him anything against it. I just know it's not going to happen under my roof, nor will I help support them if they want to do this. If they take this step they do it on their own.

Not going to get into the whole relationship aspect of it, because it's not real important. They do know that although they've talked on the phone and over the computer for over a year that once they see each other they may not click. Due to being good friends they still seem determined to be roommates on a strictly friend bases if need be. She wants to move away from Newfoundland and seems to like this area. I'm ok with that, but what I need to know is what are the legal ramifications.

What will she need to move down here and get a job? What will he need to bring her down here? And what responsibilities do we have, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 03:42 AM

442 posts, read 800,849 times
I think marrying your son is a more realistic option than trying to get a work visa from a bakery.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,134,041 times
And, unfortunately, that's the most likely outcome.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 AM

^And even if they get as far as the interview, a teenager marrying a 24-year-old with some health problem he met over the internet.. It's Red Flag Central.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:16 AM

81 posts, read 166,093 times
Right now they aren't even thinking marriage, but I'm sure you're right, it would raise red flags all over the place if they actually did. Since they haven't met in real life, just over the phone and Internet they realize that they aren't meant to be anything more than friends. So at least they are being smart in that aspect.

From what you're saying, she'd need a job here that would give her a work visa in order for her to work here, right? Which is pretty unlikely I'm sure. Could she start her own business here? Or is that impossible?

I know she can come visit for a certain length of time but then she'd have to go back to Canada. I have a friend who moved to Canada to live with her boyfriend quite a few years ago. She'd stay up there for something like 6 months, than have to come back to the US for a few weeks before getting to go back up there. However she could never get a job up there due to not having a work visa or being a resident. I'm sure it's the same for my stepsons friend coming down here, right?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,134,041 times
I can imagine the consensus you'd get on this board is no, she won't get a permanent visa of any sort. A TN is not out of the realm of possibility but it's unlikely anyone would sponser her for one and in any event its not a dual intent visa.

Absent the visa route, what the young and foolish tend to do is get married, even if it is just to help out a freind. Then the medical issues will bankrupt them, throw a baby in the mix, and by-by college.

If you've ever been to Newfoundland you'll understand the lengths a young person would go to get out.

I know I'm being pessimistic but its been played out so many times. I really hope someone in your family can convince him to end this relationship, it has trouble written all over it.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2TN View Post
From what you're saying, she'd need a job here that would give her a work visa in order for her to work here, right? Which is pretty unlikely I'm sure. Could she start her own business here? Or is that impossible?
Yeah, an employer would have to sponsor her and prove that no American can do her job. I'm not sure what her level of skill and experience is. I mean, if she's won some big name bakery contests (do those even exist, lol?), it might score some extra points.

Her own business, no, not with 20 grand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe an investor visa requires you to invest like half a mil plus create and maintain a number of American jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2TN View Post
However she could never get a job up there due to not having a work visa or being a resident. I'm sure it's the same for my stepsons friend coming down here, right?
Pretty much.

And if he decides to marry her to help out a non-romantic friend, it's still considered fraud. If USCIS finds out, the girl might get a ban and the son might get in trouble, too. Slippery slope that.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Does she know there is no universal free health care in the US?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM

59 posts, read 145,857 times
I don't think this is a good idea AT ALL. She/He would move down to the us or up to canada, here is an example of what i think is gonna happen:

The girl will move down to the states and have a house and everything, and already bought it, Then They finally meet each other and it just doesn't work out. Now she wants to go back to canada but will then have to buy a house again or look for a new job and everything.

Honestly I love Canada and go up there all the time i went twice this year, i would move up there but the only thing is things are about 25% more expensive up there and it is a lot harder to find a job up there thats why they have so many homeless people but if your step son does happen to find a job the jobs in canada do pay more.

Not saying to medal with their relationship because if you make a mistake with that your step son will probably never talk to you again, but you need to find some way immediately to stop this before it goes any farther and messes up one of their lifes.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:13 PM

48 posts, read 154,664 times
I am a Canadian that just got my permanent residence status in the US. I am actually moving in a few weeks.
My husband is American. He sponsored me. We legally got married in the US and then he started the immigration
procedures from within the US. From date of marriage to immigration interview it took 13 months. We lived apart for a year and half while during this process. With my permanent resident status I will be able to work in the US.

I don't think that she could get a company to sponsor her as it would be difficult for her to get a company to want her bad enough to say that an American can't do her job and to pay for her immigration process.

She can come there on a student visa if she wanted to maybe take a masters program or something. Not too sure if she can work though...

If your son wanted to marry her they could either do a fiancée visa or a spousal visa. Fiancee visa would mean that she
would have to be in the US (and not allowed to leave the country until she has her visa) this way he can sponsor her while she's living there. Not sure if she would be able to work so he would have to financially support her during this time. Not including the expense of sponsoring someone, cost us well over $1,000. This includes fees for paperwork, medical, travel expense to embassy interview which was in another city etc..

Spousal visa would mean that the legally get married in the US and then he would begin the immigration process to sponser her. During this time she can enter the US to visit BUT if she gets an a$$hole immigration officer that doesn't believe that she is going back to Canada, he can revoke the whole process. For this process we both had documents to fill out and send in and they need to see birth certificate (long and short form), childhood vaccinations and medical/x ray (they send you to one of their doctors - usually 1 or 2 in every province it was like $300), passport and police background check. They also wanted to see my husband T4 slips and he made copies of his bank statement to show he has money to support me when I immigrate. Its good to usually have either a good paying job or $10,000 in the bank. They want to ensure that she will not use social assistance when she immigrates.

I know you don't agree with their choice, but once they see how difficult and expensive the process is they will probably wait to see if the relationship is at the level to do this. My husband and I spent 6 years in a long distance relationship going back and forth (he also became a Canadian permanent resident) for this to work. She should maybe just come for 3 months or something and they can see if it will work then go based on that trial period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration