Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,251,221 times

Advertisements

Is it possible for a Canadian couple with two young children to immigrate to the US? We both have good jobs here but our jobs here would require US citizenship there and we would never be sponsored by employment. My grandfather was a citizen, does that count for anything? Just throwing out a bone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM

938 posts, read 1,521,718 times
Impossible. If you have good jobs in Canada, why would you want to move to the U.S. where it is illegal for you to work?

Here are the basic ways to immigrate to the U.S.:

1.) Through family. Your grandfather would have to sponsor your parent, who would have to wait five to eight years to get a green card, then wait 5 years and apply for citizenship, and then sponsor you. This would take at least 10 years.

2.) Through an employer sponsoring you. If you've already ruled this option out, then it's not going to happen.

3.) Diversity lottery. Canada is not one of the eligible countries.

4.) Apply as a refugee: Not an option

5.) Invest a large sum of money in an American business. I believe you need to invest at least $1 million.

Your only option is #5.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM

Mainly for weather reasons. We don't want to go anywhere illegally, so just looking at various options (or non-options I suppose). If we were to get citizenship one day, around Arizona/Texas/New Mexico would be a good place for our work.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 PM

442 posts, read 803,075 times
Get pregnant and give birth in the US.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 PM

938 posts, read 1,521,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Mainly for weather reasons. We don't want to go anywhere illegally, so just looking at various options (or non-options I suppose). If we were to get citizenship one day, around Arizona/Texas/New Mexico would be a good place for our work.
You can live in the U.S. for up to 6 months per year with no permission to work or open a bank account, this is what a lot of retired Canadians do in Florida. Otherwise, there is no legal way for you to immigrate and work. There's no more Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty's "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses" has no meaning anymore.

If you have a baby in the U.S., they can sponsor you to immigrate once they turn 21, but until then they can't.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Good info, thanks. Yeah my baby factory is closed, no thanks! I live in Quebec and yes, I find a lot of them still own property here. Come back for the healthcare, go for the weather, that sort of thing. I suppose that's a retirement possibility instead. Oh well, I guess we'll stick to travel in the meantime and see if my husband's work can open some possibilities in the future. Quite unlikely, we both work government jobs. Thanks!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM

983 posts, read 1,642,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Get pregnant and give birth in the US.
No. Then it's an 18 year wait for the citizen child to be able to sponsor them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration