Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,356 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your reply. The reason for getting dual Citizenship was that I would be able to take care of my Parents for longer periods if necessary, something that I am aware, I cant do as a permanent resident. I will see that I read more about the tax threshold on the USCIS website but if it shows to be unnecessarily difficult from a tax perspective, I may not go through with the naturalization process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:40 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
USCIS = immigration
IRS = taxation

Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,958,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown88 View Post
Hello Friends,

I have found this thread while I was looking for answers regarding the tax laws applying to US citizens while living in Germany.

I am born in Germany, live in the US and am about to get my citizenship. I am able to keep my German citizenship. (would be dual Citizen if I get US citizenship) I am likely having to stay in Germany for extended periods of time since my parents might be in need of care.

As far as I understand I have to file/pay taxes to the US even if I am living in Germany.

My questions are:

- Does this apply to me even if I am a permanent resident? Meaning not getting the US citizenship? At some point my green card would expire.

- Do I need to always file taxes with the US regardless of how much I make in Germany?

- What are the consequences for failing to file taxes with the US while living abroad?

- Does it even make a difference since I am a permanent resident and the tax rule applies to my already?

Thank you for your help.
Mike
You really need to speak to a CPA or similar and perhaps an attorney specializing in taxes. Do you really want to make decisions about this based on what you get from an Internet forum? Forums are great for something, anything involving legalities and so forth it is not.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You really need to speak to a CPA or similar and perhaps an attorney specializing in taxes. Do you really want to make decisions about this based on what you get from an Internet forum? Forums are great for something, anything involving legalities and so forth it is not.
It is actually rather simple - as US permanent resident you are obligated by law to file US income tax returns unless your actual worldwide income falls under minimum. Germany and the US are actively practicing tax reporting. There is no double taxation.
Poster needs to figure out what she wants to do and why. Some decisions are not reversible.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown88 View Post
Hello Friends,

I have found this thread while I was looking for answers regarding the tax laws applying to US citizens while living in Germany.

I am born in Germany, live in the US and am about to get my citizenship. I am able to keep my German citizenship. (would be dual Citizen if I get US citizenship) I am likely having to stay in Germany for extended periods of time since my parents might be in need of care.

As far as I understand I have to file/pay taxes to the US even if I am living in Germany.

My questions are:

- Does this apply to me even if I am a permanent resident? Meaning not getting the US citizenship? At some point my green card would expire.

- Do I need to always file taxes with the US regardless of how much I make in Germany?

- What are the consequences for failing to file taxes with the US while living abroad?

- Does it even make a difference since I am a permanent resident and the tax rule applies to my already?

Thank you for your help.
Mike
Mike, you will have to file US tax returns whereever you live, but you probably won't pay/owe any taxes to the US.

The likely outcome will be, you will only pay taxes in Germany if you leave the US for extended period of time (over a year) and you won't have any US source income while out of the US.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:07 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
No, you go away when your visa runs out.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
No... I don't want your USA, ... USA want me,it s not so easy, that s the problem. ... They want my $, they see me as a atm, a money maker machine, and they will steal 40% of my money. Federal and state plus local tax=60%tax... My god... What a rip off Country.!

Do you think Uscis wrote me and Kicked me out? I wish! . I wrote them and told them I don't need their f.... Green card anymore.
By chance I have European passport. I don't need to report tax to anyone or anything as long I m not resident. All legal.

Now I have to wait what s going on with usa, I worry they catch me and deport me back to the USA. Funny, usually they deport guys outside of USA, I worry they deport me to the usa.... It s totally upside down. I heard Mexican and US citizen have problem to get out of USA now.
The wall is to keep usa citizen of fleeing their country... :-)

Even my bank told me they have people contacting them asking how to get out of USA when years ago they asked how to immigrate to the US.
He said it s funny how things can change in a few years.

Thousand of people gave up usa citizenship. Some tried, some have been refused to leave.

My friend Tina Turner relinquished her citizenship.
File an I-409 at any US consulate and hand over your green card. The US doesn't want you anymore than you want the US. If you don't have a green card, what is your effing problem?

Based on the ranting ramblings, there may be mental health issues at play here so by all means stay away.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
If I get one of these documents I will be flagged for taxation immediately and for the rest of my life.

You have already a good example with Obama care when the USA government tell you how much they are going to squeeze from you.

Who in the right mind want become a USA person nowadays. ?

The future in this world is to remain undocumented and remain a free world citizen.

You gov, stay away from my life....
You sounds like someone who is in need of a lot of attention...is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to get a us passport and /or green card...

If every one who doesn't want to be in the us will leave and leave their green cards to others who would like to get them and also give up their us passports then we can solve legal immigration maybe faster

Old 04-15-2014, 05:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You sounds like someone who is in need of a lot of attention...is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to get a us passport and /or green card...
Don't encourage cheapcharly - he spewed his venom on many threads and different forums before quietening down. As his story evolved through many posts it became clear that, despite all his blustering, he was a winner of the DV lottery who came to the US with an entirely unrealistic view of the country and spent just a couple of weeks in it before realizing he was in entirely the wrong place for him and fled its shores to seek a haven where he wouldn't have to pay (gasp) taxes! He then embarked on an extended campaign of blistering nonsense which makes an amusing read if you have time!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Don't encourage cheapcharly - he spewed his venom on many threads and different forums before quietening down. As his story evolved through many posts it became clear that, despite all his blustering, he was a winner of the DV lottery who came to the US with an entirely unrealistic view of the country and spent just a couple of weeks in it before realizing he was in entirely the wrong place for him and fled its shores to seek a haven where he wouldn't have to pay (gasp) taxes! He then embarked on an extended campaign of blistering nonsense which makes an amusing read if you have time!
They should revoke his green card if you speak so badly about the country that gave you a green card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration