Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 26,233 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am on H1B and hold a good position in a consulting firm. I also got married in Nov 2013 to a US citizen and we applied for 1-485 (change of status) and 1-765(EAD) in the beginning of December. I finished my bio metrics on 26th Dec and I am now waiting for further notice.

Unfortunately/Fortunately my husband took up a better opportunity in another state in the beginning of January and we really want to live together. That would mean that I will have to leave my current job. I am a little uncomfortable being between statuses but I wanted to know if I can quit my job before I get the EAD and green card.

Are there any consequences that I should be aware of. Thanks a lot in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,128 times
If the GC is through your husband, then you can leave your job at any time but you can't join a new one until you get the EAD. At that point the EAD is your employment authorization to user for any job until you get the green card. Once you file your status is waiting for adjustment, you won't be out of status.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 26,233 times
Thank you so much for the reply. That makes me feel better!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:35 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Filing for AoS puts your legal status in a holding pattern. You will not be able to work until you receive your EAD or Green Card whichever comes first.
Please - triple check your application and package and have copies of everything! Check your application status on-line. Make sure the address you are receiving mail at is current and correct.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:04 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedaboutquitting View Post
Hi,

I am on H1B and hold a good position in a consulting firm. I also got married in Nov 2013 to a US citizen and we applied for 1-485 (change of status) and 1-765(EAD) in the beginning of December. I finished my bio metrics on 26th Dec and I am now waiting for further notice.

Unfortunately/Fortunately my husband took up a better opportunity in another state in the beginning of January and we really want to live together. That would mean that I will have to leave my current job. I am a little uncomfortable being between statuses but I wanted to know if I can quit my job before I get the EAD and green card.

Never change anything when an application is in the works. Tough it out.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
If GC hasn't even been approved and H1-B ends when you quit the job then how can someone continue to legally live in the US?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:27 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
If GC hasn't even been approved and H1-B ends when you quit the job then how can someone continue to legally live in the US?
Because they already filed/started AOS process before quitting the job/before H1-B ends?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedaboutquitting View Post
Hi,

Well... Yes. You can quit. You can quit any time you want. This is not a slave holder society, contrary to come opinions.

However, you are only employment authorized for your H1B company until you get your I-766.

So if you quit, you can't take up new employment until you get your EAD.

Keep in mind that if your AoS is denied, you're back to H1B status and only good for the one employer. And if you quit that job, and your AoS is denied, you're out of status. If you get more than 180 days out of status, then you won't be H1B eligible. Also keep in mind, that if your AoS is denied for cause, as opposed to lack of action on your end, your out of status regresses to when you lost your H1B status. Which for you, would be the day you quit your job.

It should only be one more month until you get your employment card, so I'd hold out a little while if possible since you're not going to suffer much over one months separation. He can use that month to get settled in the new state while you use that month to complete packing.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:54 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Just go be with your spouse. If you've done something to be denied a marriage-based GC, then you're sure not going to get an employment-based one. Plan to be out of status (or at least in questionable/suspended status) for half a year while your case processes. Don't leave the country or commit any crimes.

Is it really worth losing a month of your lives together for the remote chance that you'll be denied a marriage-based LPR? I vote no.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:01 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Because they already filed/started AOS process before quitting the job/before H1-B ends?
Are you stating that is the case or asking if that's the case? Just asking as you ended with a ?
When my husband quit his job (he was on H1-b and we were on H-4)) we were told that we had 2 weeks after the end of his contract date in which to leave the country.
I have an approved LPR application from 2008 and my husband had started AOS to LPR(Labor certification-was waiting for audit by DOL) in Aug 2012, but we wouldn't have been allowed to remain living in the country after H1-b ended. We left in Nov last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration