Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can get data regarding percentages per country for people with approved Green card applications who are caught in retrogression.
I was approved for EB-3 in 2008 and my husband is here on H1-b (for almost 3 years) and is in the process of submitting his EB-2 application.

We are aware that if the S.1983 -- Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act of 2011 (Introduced in Senate - IS)
Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
which the house of representatives passed becomes law in it's current form, then the wait for my Green card (which is currently around 2 years) will increase by approx 2 years and EB-2 category for the "rest of the world" will immediately retrogress.

Currently there is also a bill that proposes adding Irish to the E-3 visa.

I've visited many immigration forums and here many citizens of India saying that the act will lead to truly diverse immigration in the USA, but this seems a ridiculous comment to me as the reason for the act is that there are so many people from India who have been given Green cards already! That is why the wait time is so long!
To me this act will lead to less diverse immigration and penalise those from European countries in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 PM

681 posts, read 2,801,273 times
Just a correction ... your queue for wait times is not based on country of citizenship as you have stated, but country of birth.

The wait times are long for people born in India, not because so many Indians have been given green cards already, it's because there was a large influx of Indian workers to the US that have applied for their green cards ... due to the country quota's the number off applications far exceed the number of approved green cards each year, hence the backlog as more and more Indian's apply each year.

You correctly observe that the new proposed bill will definately hinder those applying for green cards from countries other than India, China, Mexico etc ... but I think it will only be for a few years. After the first few years, numbers should start to normalize for each applicant country.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:15 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Just a correction ... your queue for wait times is not based on country of citizenship as you have stated, but country of birth.

The wait times are long for people born in India, not because so many Indians have been given green cards already, it's because there was a large influx of Indian workers to the US that have applied for their green cards ... due to the country quota's the number off applications far exceed the number of approved green cards each year, hence the backlog as more and more Indian's apply each year.

You correctly observe that the new proposed bill will definately hinder those applying for green cards from countries other than India, China, Mexico etc ... but I think it will only be for a few years. After the first few years, numbers should start to normalize for each applicant country.
OK-my error I meant country of birth-either way no difference to us.
As for disagreeing with the fact that many from India have already been given GCs being an incorrect reason for the backlog-it is indeed part of the reason as each year they reach the 7% per country quota for Green cards.

There has been approx 70,000 born in India allocated Green cards each year since 2001.

Mexico numbers have dwindled from just over 200,000 in 2001 to 140,000 in 2010

China has gradually increased from 56,000 to 70,000
Philipines is fairly steady at 60,000

Green cards allocated to those born in Europe have gradually halfed from 165,000 in 2001 to 88,000 in 2010

Numbers from the UK have dwindled from 18,000 to 12,000.

DHS looked at total numbers of LPRs in the USA IN 2010
[SIZE=2]Mexico was the leading country of origin of the LPR population in 2010 . An estimated 3.3 million or 26 percent of LPRs came from Mexico. The next leading source country was the Philippines (0.6 million), followed by People’s Republic of China (0.6 million), India (0.5 million), and the Dominican Republic (0.4 million). Forty-two percent of LPRs in 2010 were born in one of these five countries.
[/SIZE]

Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 PM

983 posts, read 1,635,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Does anyone know where I can get data regarding percentages per country for people with approved Green card applications who are caught in retrogression.
I was approved for EB-3 in 2008 and my husband is here on H1-b (for almost 3 years) and is in the process of submitting his EB-2 application.

We are aware that if the S.1983 -- Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act of 2011 (Introduced in Senate - IS)
Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
which the house of representatives passed becomes law in it's current form, then the wait for my Green card (which is currently around 2 years) will increase by approx 2 years and EB-2 category for the "rest of the world" will immediately retrogress.

Currently there is also a bill that proposes adding Irish to the E-3 visa.

I've visited many immigration forums and here many citizens of India saying that the act will lead to truly diverse immigration in the USA, but this seems a ridiculous comment to me as the reason for the act is that there are so many people from India who have been given Green cards already! That is why the wait time is so long!
To me this act will lead to less diverse immigration and penalise those from European countries in particular.
Agree 100%. It will only benefit people from India and China (Mexico's dates have mirrored those for "all others" for years now). And that's it. I don't think it will make it far though, immigration is always touchy and it's an election year.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Agree 100%. It will only benefit people from India and China (Mexico's dates have mirrored those for "all others" for years now). And that's it. I don't think it will make it far though, immigration is always touchy and it's an election year.
It is not exactly right.
If you look closely, the Chinese and Indians have a long immigration backlog ranging from 4 to 8 years, which means if you apply today, your application won't be reviewed until 2016-2020.

Yes, more Chinese and Indians got Green card, but most waited a far longer time than people from other countries.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times
Quote:
While it is tough on immigrants from European countries, I agree with the bill. China and India have populations of near 1B each with an educational system strongly focused on Mathematics and Physical Science, while European countries have much smaller populations with educational systems focused on "softer" disciplines such as Business or Humanities.

The point of immigration is to bring the expertise from other countries into ours to benefit the USA, not the other way around. With larger, technically-oriented bases of skilled workers to draw from India and China are better targets to "brain drain" than are European nations. It is in the US's best interest to avoid artificial limitations on the skilled visa quota available to China and India. This means that Europeans will have to compete for US GC's (and jobs) on a playing field that is no longer stacked in their favor. This is painful for those who currently enjoy the off-kilter system, of course, but necessary for the good of the US.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
How can it be "penalizeing those from European countries"? Someone needs a reality check.

Suppose a Chinese national and an Italian national are both employed by Microsoft, gets his H1b and starts the Green card process today. Assuming both on the EB2 program. The Italian guy can expect his GC to be approved within 1 year, while the Chinese will have to wait 5 years for it the be processed, and the GC can't be approved until at least 2018-2019.

Remember, these two person have exactly the same education and work experiences. The only difference is their birth country. Anyone here says it is a fair system now?

The act, if approve, only brings fairness to everyone, and strips some countries the advantage from simply being born in a specific country, instead of anything he/she has achieved personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration