Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM

313 posts, read 497,220 times

Advertisements

This is an option: Why More Americans Are Renouncing U.S. Citizenship : Parallels : NPR

I know the article is mostly about banking, but it's a lot to think about when you're going abroad with a lot of money. Some people have been having trouble finding banks that will take Americans with money, since a 2010 law was passed, and now more Americans are "renouncing citizenship"

If you're not a citizen of the US, I can only imagine it would make it easier to live in another country and possibly become a citizen there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 03:40 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macysdayparade View Post
The UK is one of the top places on my list. (: Is that where you're studying? Thanks for the school suggestions. If I study abroad somewhere, will that better my chances of getting citizenship?
I spent a semester abroad in London as an undergrad, as well as semesters in Mexico and Iceland. I've given up on moving to Iceland (virtually impossible to immigrate there) and since I work in communications, living in Mexico City as a non-native speaker would be difficult for my career. Instead, I've focused on moving back to the UK. I'm getting my first master's degree here in the US and hope to get a 2nd masters or PhD (but really, an MRS degree) in the UK to remain permanently. But it is difficult, even for well-educated, well-intentioned people.

One potential "quick" way of moving to the UK legally is to get your medical degree there. Do you and your boyfriend have the capacity to be doctors? Unlike in the US, where you must get a bachelors before engaging in 4 years of medical school, medical school in the UK is 5 years in total.

Now, medical school is very competitive in the UK just as it is in the US. Coming from the American system will be challenging since you have not taken A-levels. They may or may not take community college credits - I recommend reaching out to British medical schools if this is an area that interests you. For now, you need to be getting straight As in community college - ideally in STEM classes.

Law is also an abbreviated route in the UK vs US (4 years total vs 7) but the law market is struggling there as it is here and you would need to learn a completely different system of law.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:22 PM

326 posts, read 471,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Not so fast. A non-citizen does not qualify for citizenship in an EU country without first qualifying for temporary and then permanent residence. This is where the high hurdles lie.
that is true but in some EU countries, like Belgium, if you find a permanent job offer and get a work permit, you simply stay employed by the employer and live in Belgium for 3 years, you can get your citizenship. Countries like USA/Canada are alot harder because you have to have a Degree and experience in a specified subject, whereas in Belgium it just has to be a permanent job offer.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
Krawhitham:

In order to renounce US citizenship, the person MUST have all ready applied for and been granted , at least permanent residence status in another country , FIRST. You cannot be "stateless ".

Second point. A US citizen can only renounce their citizenship in a country outside of the US, at a US Embassy, in front of the Ambassador. And, the US government does not have to let it happen.

One famous example....... Lee Harvey Oswald, tried to do this in Moscow, when he was living in Russia, and he was denied.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,538,052 times
India...the call centers need Americans to Americanize their English speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration