Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,453 times

Advertisements

As the title says, I'm so close of fulfilling my dream of living in the US, having been selected in the Diversity Visa 2014 program. Have already been scheduled for an interview at the Embassy.
The thing is I have to provide some proof of financial support, (about 5k USD, bank statement), which I unfortunately do not posses.

Something about me: 23 years old guy from Europe, very soon to be getting a degree in Engineering(final year).
My relatives/close friends are not in their best financial situation, and I also get the impression they don't realize how much this means to me. It may well be my once in a lifetime chance and it's slipping away.

I realize this may be too much to ask, but still taking my chance: I would need either a loan for a few days, and return it back( so that I provide the bank statement, and then withdraw it). From the interview date, I would still have 6 months to get in the US, time in which I would eventually obtain, by myself, the money needed to immigrate).

The second option I'm thinking of: finding people/company in the US, sort out an agreement for funding the visa expenses, and once I enter the US: either work for their company, or settle on a plan to return that amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 03:53 PM

442 posts, read 800,551 times
Don't they want to see 10 grand these days?

Also, no, I'm pretty sure that if they ask for proof of financial support, they'll want to see a continuous flow of cash, not one big transaction.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Why don't you get a job? Or 2 jobs? Being a student shouldn't stop you from working.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 10,869,900 times
There is no AoS sponsor, rule of thumb has been 5-10k/adult. I do not see much on the horizon given the ideas OP bases part of his visa requirements on. Does he know the social net he is used to does not exist? The days of getting off the boat with a suitcase are in the past.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:54 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
We won the dv lottery as well. I remember we brought bank statements to the interview but the embassy didn't ask for them. I would bring some anyway, maybe ask relatives to transfer some money to your account only only for you to transfer it back after the interview.

Btw, we are back in Europe now and have given up the greencard. Things like finding employment, employee rights, healthcare, public services, infrastructure, retirement in the US are much worse than over here in western Europe. We also had the feeling that continuously everyone is just trying to rip you off. I would not even recommend going there if you are settled in Europe unless you are from a very poor country in eastern Europe so the US will actually improve your standard of living.

The US is not cheap btw, except for some luxury items that you don't need anyway, things are generally much more expensive than Europe. You might not even want to go there without any money. (A necessity like a car sets you back at least 5k$ whereas in Europe you could live perfectly without a car).

Old 02-26-2014, 02:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
We won the dv lottery as well. I remember we brought bank statements to the interview but the embassy didn't ask for them. I would bring some anyway, maybe ask relatives to transfer some money to your account only only for you to transfer it back after the interview.
The reason the OP has to bring evidence of financial support to the interview is because he's a college student and doesn't have any employment history.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I was under the impression the Green Card lottery did nothing more than put you to the head of the immigration line up where you still have to meet all the requirements of the immigration process.
Its not a guaranteed free ride into the USA.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I was under the impression the Green Card lottery did nothing more than put you to the head of the immigration line up where you still have to meet all the requirements of the immigration process.
It's not. The OP seems aware of this but doesn't meet what's required in the subsequent interview process.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 AM

442 posts, read 800,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It's a lot less stringent - you only need either a high school diploma or 2 years of work experience in a qualifying occupation.

And proof that you won't become a financial burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration