Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,302 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I came to US on F1 and got a job and now I am on H1. I have been in relationship from past two years. My boyfriend and i met at old workplace in Minnesota. I moved to Missouri for my job from past one year (which is been long distance for us). I was wondering what are my options for GC.

1. Can I quit my job get married and move to Minnesota and apply for GC?

2. Can we get married stay in different states and apply for my GC and once i have my GC i quit and move to Minnesota? Will the process get affected if we live in different states after marriage while GC is being processed?

3. Can we apply for GC when I am on H1 and then i quit and move to Minnesota while application is still in process?

Option is not preferred
4. My bf moves down to Missouri after we get married and then apply for GC? We figured him moving down would be a bad financial move for us as he has a house up there.

5. Will process get affected if i quit my job(give up my h1) after marriage and move to Minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
As long as you get married you can apply for a green-card, regardless as to what type Visa you have or what state you reside in. Actually even if your Visa expired and you were currently undocumented you could apply for a waiver and a green-card.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:26 PM

So you are saying if we stay in different states after marriage it wont affect because i read some forums that mentioned it would be good if the couple stays together.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha_a View Post
So you are saying if we stay in different states after marriage it wont affect because i read some forums that mentioned it would be good if the couple stays together.
Guess it could set a red flag at the interview as to why your not living together. But I doubt there are any laws restricting living apart. That aside the interview process is very critical so I would bet an immigration attorney would tell you to stay together until after interview, and approval.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 PM

Ya thats what i thought. The next question is can I get married and quit my job move to Minnesota. Then apply for GC? But quitting my job would put me out of status.

Next option would be get married apply for GC and is it ok to quit my job while GC is in process so that i could move?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha_a View Post
Ya thats what i thought. The next question is can I get married and quit my job move to Minnesota. Then apply for GC? But quitting my job would put me out of status.

Next option would be get married apply for GC and is it ok to quit my job while GC is in process so that i could move?
My advice, seek an attorney. I married an immigrant. Had a tough time with the process mostly because my wife is 21 years younger then me. Without an attorney I doubt she would of been granted a green card.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:22 PM

Thanks for your advice!!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but why do you need to quit your job? Is all the education you have done all for naught? What adjustments is he doing in this situation?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
You can quit your job and file AoS but you cannot work until you receive your EAD.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Your BF is US Citizen or GC Holder or an immigrant on F-1 visa or H-1B visa? That will help in answering the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration