Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,845 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I apologize if this is on another thread-I'm both new and didn't see one, at least recently.

My husband and I are looking to move to Australia within the next five years or so. I looked at the different visa types, and I'm really just a little lost on it all. I'm currently a college student, and he's certified in a few minor medical practices (phlebotomy, for example) and is looking to become an electrician and has some experience. He'll also be applying for college classes in the subject soon.
Overall, we just want to create a great life for us and our future family and we feel Australia is really the place to be to do that. We're thinking the Sunshine Coast area.

Has anyone completed this process before, or can offer some guidance? The way I understand it, we apply for a visa, get hopefully approved, and apply for citizenship eventually.

Thank you in advance for any answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
This is the official Australian immigration site:

Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

and also go to the CD Australia/New Zealand forum here on CD as there are several relevant threads which will provide you with a bunch of information.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 AM

29 posts, read 105,934 times
Being an Aussie, I am happy to help you out with details on this side if you need. First of all, I would thoroughly recommend you do a tour here first, before making such a seismic shift. You may find several things challenging - first and foremost would be the feeling of isolation from your family and friends. Presuming you are in Lansing, it would be a very long trip from Sunshine Coast to your home - minimum 24 hours. Culturally we're pretty supportive of you Yankees, primarily because your culture is our culture...the TV, the movies, the music, even the clothing. But you wont find classic American restaurants (diners) here - our attempts at ribs and burgers leave a lot to be desired. BUt we have 'proper' coffee. If you like sports, we have all sorts, but we're not big on US sports - so you'd see little of your Pistons, Lions, etc - sure it is on TV much of the time, but the hours and coverage are sporadic. Next issue is weather - Sunshine Coast seems lovely - but I hope you are practiced in the art of dealing with high humidity. Honestly, the humidity in Queensland can be quite stifling sometimes. It is a wonderful tropical town, but lacks a lot of the infrastructure you'd get back home. Whilst Brisbane (biggest city in Qld) is only an hour and a half away, it makes getting to concerts, etc a bit of a challenge.

In terms of work, you'll do best to determine an area of focus and your key skills relevant to what may be in demand here. Bear in mind.....Sunshine Coast is not a big city in terms of industry and employment. It is primarily tourist based, with many jobs being in hospitality - but they're not great payers.

I am biased here but - give some thought to Melbourne. It's a big city (4-5 million) and growing, great climate, good infrastructure and services, great schools and health networks, and very very safe.

At least you are thinking this out well in advance. Be mindful to monitor economic trends too - don't be surprised if the Australian economy is not in the same great shape in 4-5 years.

And lastly - when you get closer to the move (if you do) PM for me a tip - I can show you guys how to turn a tidy profit in your first month of arriving - call it a 'trade imbalance' we have here in Aus - completely legal, but quite lucrative.

Above all - make the trip and do a tour - I'd suggest Sunshine Coast then Brisbane, down to Newcastle then Sydney, inland to Canberra then Melbourne, and if time permits Adelaide.

I know I haven't helped much on the work side of things here - but VISA conditions can change greatly over the years, and you need to manage this risk. The best way to do this is to have contemporary, in demand skills.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,845 times
Thank you to everyone who responded!
Foibles-a big thank you to you. As for the food, it shouldn't be much of a problem. My husband and I are vegan-my biggest thing would be to get my potato fix, which is all else fails I have definitely mastered the craft of. I practically lived on mashed potatoes as a child-I wish I were kidding. Just as well, my husband and I aren't really all to fixated on sports, and definitely not American Football. We're more likely to play a sport before we'll sit and watch it for too long.
I did see you guys happened to have some insane humidity. That will definitely be something to get used to. In Michigan we have jumps in the weather every day from humid, to mild, to blizzards. I can't honestly say I'd ever miss snow though, not at least for a good, long while.
I'll definitely look into Melbourne. Nothing's set in stone, of course. I'm looking at becoming a surgeon specifically, but I'm more than happy to make changes if the need should arise.
Again, thank you so much.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,610,245 times
QLD is the most humid part of the country. I'm pretty sure electricians are on the desired professions list. I would research about requirements to switch countries halfway through your medical training.

Foibles mentioned lots of superficial differences, but what will make or break you will be the culture. Can you handle never boasting of accomplishments, being required to put yourself down and always have your friends putting themselves down? That's not how we see it (we talk of big-dealing yourself, being self-deprecating and tall poppies and really really value modesty and community spirit), but Americans see it that way, and it can be a huge stumbling block. You need to visit before you commit to moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration