Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 PM

938 posts, read 1,516,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I know all about immigration, my paternal grandmother was one.
Epic

Hey, I know all about women, my mom is one. I also know everything about Black and Hispanic people, because, like Donald Sterling, I have dozens who work for me.

But seriously, if you didn't know that most immigrants need to have a job offer to come to the U.S. (unless they have a family sponsor), you don't know jack about U.S. immigration laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:26 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Epic

Hey, I know all about women, my mom is one. I also know everything about Black and Hispanic people, because, like Donald Sterling, I have dozens who work for me.

But seriously, if you didn't know that most immigrants need to have a job offer to come to the U.S. (unless they have a family sponsor), you don't know jack about U.S. immigration laws.
Then if they need a job why would they need welfare?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Then if they need a job why would they need welfare?
Leading a horse to water is one thing; getting it to drink is another. Start doing some reading and stop wasting time asking questions, the answers to which are right at your fingertips. The OP's question was asked and hopefully answered to his satisfaction.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:23 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
Quote:
That is disturbing. Why are we allowing people to immigrate who aren't qualified?
Why do we allow people to immigrate here to collect subsidies? So much for the argument, "Aren't we all immigrants?" Immigrants who came here years ago, had no subsidies, no welfare, no food stamps, no WIC program, no sec 8 housing, no free health care, no free ESL classes, no free interpreters. Add to that, foreigners believe the U.S. has no right to enforce its immigration laws.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:51 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Why do we allow people to immigrate here to collect subsidies? So much for the argument, "Aren't we all immigrants?" Immigrants who came here years ago, had no subsidies, no welfare, no food stamps, no WIC program, no sec 8 housing, no free health care, no free ESL classes, no free interpreters. Add to that, foreigners believe the U.S. has no right to enforce its immigration laws.
Answer: we do not allow people to immigrate to collect subsidies. The immigrant has usually paid THOUSANDS of dollars to the US government for the privilege of immigrating. It costs a lot of money to immigrate legally.

I don't know why they might need temporary assistance but they certainly didn't plan on it. They came here in good faith to establish a new life. They passed stringent interviews and monetary tests so obviously they were determined to be good people if they were allowed in. Bad things can happen to anyone though. Maybe they were injured in a car accident and can't work for a while, maybe they got laid off. Your last sentence, that foreigners believe the US has no right to enforce its immigration laws is dead wrong. Immigrants--the ones who are LEGAL--are the very ones who want the laws enforced. After what they went through to get here they think it is very unfair when the ILLEGALS get handouts or get to work here.

You need to know the difference between a LEGAL immigrant and a law breaking ILLEGAL immigrant before you start hating everyone who comes here.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Answer: we do not allow people to immigrate to collect subsidies. The immigrant has usually paid THOUSANDS of dollars to the US government for the privilege of immigrating. It costs a lot of money to immigrate legally.

I don't know why they might need temporary assistance but they certainly didn't plan on it. They came here in good faith to establish a new life. They passed stringent interviews and monetary tests so obviously they were determined to be good people if they were allowed in. Bad things can happen to anyone though. Maybe they were injured in a car accident and can't work for a while, maybe they got laid off. Your last sentence, that foreigners believe the US has no right to enforce its immigration laws is dead wrong. Immigrants--the ones who are LEGAL--are the very ones who want the laws enforced. After what they went through to get here they think it is very unfair when the ILLEGALS get handouts or get to work here.

You need to know the difference between a LEGAL immigrant and a law breaking ILLEGAL immigrant before you start hating everyone who comes here.
Sorry, but you are wrong. I worked as an inner city social worker back in the 90's for several years in Providence, so I am more than familiar. Yes, immigrants, legal and illegal can collect subsidies. If you don't believe it, check out a SNAP application. Also, check out the LIHEAP office on Hartford Ave in Providence some afternoon, particularly in the fall. Also, check out Dorcas International Institute on Elmwood Ave which funds numerous tax funded programs for immigrants. Also, it is important to understand how refugee status works, and the benefits for those who qualify. Today, the Providence metro area is full of illegals, most from Central and South America, and the Dominican Rep. Last September it was mentioned in the news that there were more than 450 students who mysteriously showed up to attend public school unregistered, most didn't speak English. This added expense exacerbates an already overburdened state budget. Add to that, RI is the state with the highest unemployment in the country. There are not enough jobs for legal citizens. You can call anchor babies legal citizens all you want, in actuality it only shows how broken this system is. Also, a large percentage of the inmates at the ACI (RI Prison) were not born here. Many drive without licenses; this is breaking the law. The consensus is clear, most people agree, that immigrants legal or illegal are killing this nation. There needs to be a moratorium on immigration until at least, the economy improves.

Last edited by 9162; 06-10-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
According to an article I found most immigrants have to prove they have a job. I can't imagine most of these would be seeking welfare.
People move, take job, lose job, fall on hard times. It happens. The effin' enormity of the project it is to move between countries is lost on most. It sorta filters out those who don't have at least some energy and resources. And the cost of the USCIS bureaucrats who are needed to formally remove someone could easily pay welfare for a few months.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong. I worked as an inner city social worker back in the 90's for several years in Providence, so I am more than familiar. Yes, immigrants, legal and illegal can collect subsidies. If you don't believe it, check out a SNAP application. Also, check out the LIHEAP office on Hartford Ave in Providence some afternoon, particularly in the fall. Also, check out Dorcas International Institute on Elmwood Ave which funds numerous tax funded programs for immigrants. Also, it is important to understand how refugee status works, and the benefits for those who qualify. Today, the Providence metro area is full of illegals, most from Central and South America, and the Dominican Rep. Last September it was mentioned in the news that there were more than 450 students who mysteriously showed up to attend public school unregistered, most didn't speak English. This added expense exacerbates an already overburdened state budget. Add to that, RI is the state with the highest unemployment in the country. There are not enough jobs for legal citizens. You can call anchor babies legal citizens all you want, in actuality it only shows how broken this system is. Also, a large percentage of the inmates at the ACI (RI Prison) were not born here. Many drive without licenses; this is breaking the law. The consensus is clear, most people agree, that immigrants legal or illegal are killing this nation. There needs to be a moratorium on immigration until at least, the economy improves.
Illegals should be thrown out of the country, I agree. We don't need all those extra people, especially when they have not passed the qualifying standards for being able to live in this country. They shouldn't be working here or driving cars here. They shouldn't be here at all.

But if a person has come legally, they can fall upon hard times just like anyone else. They are not eligible for SNAP for five years (food stamps). I HAVE seen the forms and I have seen them rejected because they have not been here for the five years. In my state of Massachusetts I have seen this. That's why they are required to have a sponsor who promises to support them if anything happens before the five years are up. I have tried to help someone who was LEGAL to get SNAP and they were totally rejected from it. Now if ILLEGALS are allowed to get free things, why is a LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT denied? The ILLEGALS shouldn't get the freebies, no one should, not even the LEGALS until they have used up their five years. Where have you seen on a SNAP application that a person can qualify for free food if they are not a citizen or a legal permanent resident who has been here for five years? Not in this state, I don't think.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,524 times
I have lived and worked here all my life, have recently "fallen on hard times" because I was laid off from my job, collected 13 weeks of unemployment, am over 50 and have never take a cent from the government. I understand legal immigrants are treated the same as the U.S. born citizens, but most of us don't rely on our government to support or even help us. (BTW, unemployment insurance is paid by the employers.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration