Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 PM

186 posts, read 247,649 times

Advertisements

I read that some states use state funding to cover qualified immigrants who have not meet the criteria of spending five-years inside USA ( Five-Years ban ) to replace their inability to get SNAP, TANF, and Medicaid benefits if they are found needy .

What are some states famous for providing such assistance for recent immigrants ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/11/immigrant...view/index.pdf

Pages 10 and 12 although you should read the entire directive.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:03 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
That is disturbing. Why are we allowing people to immigrate who aren't qualified?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
That is disturbing. Why are we allowing people to immigrate who aren't qualified?
There's nothing disturbing about it at all. The federal law is that new legal immigrants cannot claim any federal benefits until they've lived in the US for 5 years. In certain circumstances where legal immigrants have (just like many US citizens) fallen upon hard times prior to reaching that 5 year mark, some states have taken it upon themselves to enact legislation to bridge the gap with some basic social services they're eligible to apply for, just as US citizens (and legal immigrants who've lived in the states for 5 years) are entitled to apply for regular federal benefits.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 PM

If they haven't lived here 5 years they should just be sent home. Way too many coming and getting assistance before ever paying in.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
If they haven't lived here 5 years they should just be sent home. Way too many coming and getting assistance before ever paying in.
Maybe it's time for you to become a little better educated about legal immigration. You can learn an awful lot by going to the USCIS website which is linked in the first "sticky" on this forum where you'll find the qualifications required to be eligible for the various visas available and the conditions attached to those visas.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:08 PM

I know all about immigration, my paternal grandmother was one. However she didn't come and be a drain on society. I really don't know why this is even an issue, those qualified immigrants likely aren't the ones getting assistance. I'd like to know why this is happening because that may explain it. The reality is an immigrant getting assistance before the 5 year waiting period likely didn't pay in and possibly only came here for assistance. That's something that needs to be looked at.

Last edited by Idon'tdateyou; 06-05-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Why should I become "better educated". I know all about immigration, my paternal grandmother was one. However she didn't come and be a drain on society. I really don't know why this is even an issue, those qualified immigrants likely aren't the ones getting assistance.
Why should you become better educated? Maybe because you seem to be confusing legal immigrants with illegal immigrants, apparently have no idea what this thread is addressing, have no desire to know what it's about and have simply jumped onto a thread which seemed at a quick glance to provide you with an outlet to vent about something which doesn't even come close to the subject matter. I hope that answers your question. You may find better fodder over in the ILlegal immigration forum.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 PM

But once again if legal immigrants can't support themselves why should they be allowed to immigrate here? I'm having a hard time understanding how a legal immigrant would come here then depend on taxpayer support. That tells me maybe we need stricter controls on allowing legal immigrants. I didn't even mention illegal immigration. What would be the purpose of states offering welfare for those recent immigrants who likely never paid in. The OP mentioned recent immigrants, which leads me to believe they mean many immigrants who just arrived.

ETA: According to an article I found most immigrants have to prove they have a job. I can't imagine most of these would be seeking welfare.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Have you read the paper I linked in response to the OP's question? That provides the information you seem to need to know in some detail. You can also (as I suggested earlier) go to the USCIS website to read what's required of an immigration applicant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration