Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,967 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone here can help answer a question for me. I've heard to open a bank account in the US, you have to have a SSN, are there any exceptions to this or some kind of international bank account? My mother-in-law is Chinese, no SSN or other ID besides passport and Chinese birth certificate, she wants to open a bank account here so she doesn't have to carry around cash all the time. I find it hard to believe that this is impossible, but that is what I was told by my local credit union. I would think some international bank like HSBC, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, etc would have some sort of banking account for foreigners. She travels to the US for 6-10 months at a time every couple years, actually she has come the last 3 years in a row, she nearly spends more time in the US then in China. There has to be a way to get her a bank account. A last resort would be that I open a bank account and then add her name to the account so she can get full access. The only problem with that is she has a trust issue, developed for good reason from her other daughter... Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
There are banks that will open accounts with a SSN. IIRC Bank of America is one such place.
Open an account at ANY bank without using SSN

Harvard International Office - Social Security Numbers

Look up and or contact local banks in your area, or better yet visit a branch and speak with a new accounts officer. He or she will be able to advise you on what documents are required to open a new account.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Speak with the branch manager about opening an account using form W8. If your credit Union does not do that based on policy you will have to try larger banks.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 PM

Ok, we went to Bank of America and it was really easy. All they needed was a passport, which surprised me because I called and they said they needed 2 forms of ID and proof of residency, or proof of address where they stay. The biggest deal was they have a $1500 minimum for the bank account for those without SSN.
I thought this would be a bigger hassle after talking to my credit union and looking information up online, but again it was really easy.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 PM

Mattks - FYI - any penny of interest will be reported if there is an interstate agreement with her country of residence. It may take a few years but it will get there.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Mattks - FYI - any penny of interest will be reported if there is an interstate agreement with her country of residence. It may take a few years but it will get there.
No interest on the account, so that shouldn't be a problem. Will they scrutinize any deposits? My wife and I will put money in their account semi regularly for them to live on.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
No interest on the account, so that shouldn't be a problem. Will they scrutinize any deposits? My wife and I will put money in their account semi regularly for them to live on.
There is no telling. Keep a good paper trail.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
By law the bank must report deposits over $ 10,000.

Also, according to Social Security, although banks ask for a SS#, in most cases it is not required, and they can open an account without one. You may need to be a little insistent.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-13-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 07-13-2014, 12:09 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
LOL, at current interest rates, it'll take the bank quite a few years to report any significant amount of interest. Unless the country of residence is interested in statements showing 0.25 cents interest for the year.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:46 AM

418 posts, read 560,056 times
Think all banks will open an account without a SSN

they withhold tax though on interest, but given the interest is pennies, who cares :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration