Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Go to get drivers license - told to come back when I have a SSN and 2 forms of ID with proof of address. Also told I will need to take a driving test despite having driven for 15 years. Ok ok, I drive on the wrong side of the road and don't mind taking a test as a formality, but the documentation is the frustrating bit.
May have been a wise move to procure an International Driver License before coming here to tide you over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 11:03 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
May have been a wise move to procure an International Driver License before coming here to tide you over.
International Drivers Licenses are just a translation of the original license. They are invalid without the original license being translated, and can't be used to secure US government services or get liability insurance to get a license in a US state that requires one.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:40 PM

245 posts, read 304,649 times
Millions of people drive without a DL, all the time, man. Millions more don't have a car and don't live where there's an "el" or a subway, either. They ride a bicycle or the bus, take a taxi, pay a friend for a ride, etc.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
No, they're not. Hope that helps!

And having changed US states multiple times and done the fresh off the boat DMV drama, you cannot even begin to compare the two.
A) "No they're not. Hope that helps!"-No, what is not?
Maybe it helps? Maybe it doesn't. What are you referencing?

B) Dear, as I have dual citizenship I can speak for myself and yes, I can compare anything I want.

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 10-07-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,099,283 times
Went to SS office today - as I was waiting for my number to be called I noticed a poster that said as of this year they no longer print out temporary SSN's for people - just my luck!

However, I did confirm that they have processed my number* and it was allocated yesterday and is now in the mail.

*But she wouldn't tell me the number.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Quote:
Went to SS office today - as I was waiting for my number to be called I noticed a poster that said as of this year they no longer print out temporary SSN's for people - just my luck!

However, I did confirm that they have processed my number* and it was allocated yesterday and is now in the mail.

*But she wouldn't tell me the number.
Well, congratulations, you now know more than you did 3 days ago, so...you're just that much closer!

Old 10-08-2014, 03:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Go to get drivers license - told to come back when I have a SSN and 2 forms of ID with proof of address.
I'd double check that, depends on the state but most are going to be issuing "secure ID's" which require a birth certificate or some form of immigration documentation. Not sure what form of immigration documentation. Keep in mind your license is going to be your primary ID for everything so the documentation to get it is important.

Quote:
Also told I will need to take a driving test despite having driven for 15 years.
Don;t feel bad, my Brother who has never even left the US had to retest when he moved to another state. Was just a written test which he promptly failed. LOL

Quote:
I'm working on 2 forms of ID which is my next vent.
It's going to vary by state but those can usually be something like a utility bill or even a magazine subscription.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
To put things in perspective, I grew up in the US but wasn't born here. Since my parents never bothered to get their citizenship, I had to line up at the INS in NYC to fill out the forms to get naturalized. The line was really long and when I got there, the person at the counter treated me like I didn't speak English. It was mildly insulting to say the least since I was attending the best public high school in NYC at the time. The entire bureaucratic structure around immigration is overloaded due to the number of applicants and ran by unambitious government workers who can't get fired. But you should remember most countries in the world do not give you an option to become their citizens. And another thing to put in perspective, after my daughter was born in a hospital in NY last year, they mailed us her SSN card without any effort on her part. She is already well ahead of all the status seekers without being aware of anything.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Welcome to America. This is what we all do.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:59 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Yes - when I brought my wife to Australia we literally walked into the DMV and got her a license, and we walked across the road to a bank and got her an account and then enrolled her in Medicare and arranged a Tax File Number (similar to a SSN). I've solely navigated Australian Immigration and the US Greencard Immigration process so it's not like I'm totally unaware of how either country works. Just venting that the SSN is a bottleneck, I guess.
That's probably because in Australia you don't have illegals coming across the borders in droves, so you don't need any laws protecting yourself from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration