Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 04:39 PM

92 posts, read 176,711 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I had some questions regarding the L1A Visa for immigration into the USA.

I am a Canadian citizen, and my husband will also be a Canadian citizen by the time we apply. We own a business here in Ontario that will continue to function when we leave, and we intend to open a new branch of our company in the USA.

We're familiar with the basic requirements and we will meet them. However, I was hoping for some insight from those who have experience applying for the L1A Visa as a small business entrepreneur (especially as a Canadian) for the purposes of opening a new US location of their business.

What sort of information will officers look for with respect to our business operating here in Canada? Number of employees, duties, and time employed for each of them? Company financials? Is there a subjective evaluation of how our business will be able to function in our absence, or is it pretty black and white?

Thanks! Just hoping for as few surprises as possible. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
The E2 visa is a better option.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 PM

92 posts, read 176,711 times
But, supposing we have done our research and decided that it wasn't necessarily better for us personally... Can anyone experienced in this matter advise?

I am open to why you feel an E2 may be a better fit.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenHorses View Post
But, supposing we have done our research and decided that it wasn't necessarily better for us personally... Can anyone experienced in this matter advise?

I am open to why you feel an E2 may be a better fit.

Thanks!
An E2 from Canada can be revalidated continuously as long as you maintain your business and investment despite the visa expiring and provides a better way to adjust status to a US green card.

An L1A is valid for 3 years with a renewal for 2 more years and then you have to leave.

Plus a L1 to establish a new business may be limited to 1 year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration