Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 03:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times

Advertisements

They are O's brethren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 03:32 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
As a legal immigrant coming here in a legal way and having friends who did the same thing ...the legal way it is very disturbing to see how someone who breaks the law gets awarded while we had to spend a lot of money and proof time after time who we are and getting checked on everything which is absolutely the right way so don't get me wrong.

If you know it is how difficult it is to get a bank account and many other items and how much proof most institutions want to verify who you are and than this....

It is disgusting and a slap in the face of legal immigrants and US citizens.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

The biggest guest worker programs in the U.S., the Bracero program, admitted more than 4 million farm workers from Mexico from 1942 to 1964. Immigrant workers faced several types of abuses and it failed- The present complaint is that the program, H-2A visa, is too cumbersome. "The H-2A program is used by growers out of necessity only," Kristi Boswell, the director of congressional relations for the American Farm Bureau Federation earlier this month said. "It's a very burdensome process to even apply to the program." Farmers want a guest worker program with fewer stipulations, including the ability to hire and fire at will.

I know about the bracero program.

The H-2A is "too cumbersome"? Well, too bad! That's no excuse for farmers to not use it and instead hire cheap, exploitable, illegal labor.

If farmers are sincere about wanting the program streamlined, well, then hire a lobbying firm instead of whining and making excuses for breaking the law.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
[quote=BOS2IAD;37403550]I know about the bracero program.

The H-2A is "too cumbersome"? Well, too bad! That's no excuse for farmers to not use it and instead hire cheap, exploitable, illegal labor.

If farmers are sincere about wanting the program streamlined, well, then hire a lobbying firm instead of whining and making excuses for breaking the law.[/quote]

I am just pointing out what the truth is - if the employers and big business did what they can afford to do- we would NOT have an immigration problem. That is the BOTTOM LINE- they are greedy and wants slaves.. BUT they will not go after fella Americans. Money talks BS walks

Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
it depends. In the early 1900's you fended for yourself and nobody paid your way. People died. Now innocent people are forced to pay for the illegals and I find it funny that some people do not see that as a problem. It must be a sickness, like alcoholism. Maybe these legal immigrants followed the rules and the illegal didn't. Just a thought. same goes for the car you drive, I am not impressed if you stole it.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:48 PM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Permanent resident, and it's a resounding "meh", as far as I'm concerned.

They're here. Nobody wants to seriously go after those who employ them. That means they'll stay.

So I'd much rather they can insure their cars and pay taxes and whatnot - I'd much rather they can go to the police if beaten or raped, I'd much rather they come out of the shadows so we can at least acknowledge them as fellow human beings.

I certainly don't envy anyone who's had to live 5 years or more without all the middle-class comforts I take for granted: A driver's license, a legal avenue to make my landlord obey the rules, car insurance, health insurance, a job with benefits, a mortgage, being able to travel and see my family back home. Compared to that, my little adventure with the INS/USCIS are completely trivial.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:08 PM

309 posts, read 516,071 times
The most shameful display of those law-breakers and supporters of them just because they "want it"!

Place your hands in strangers' pockets and cry you really need it, enter people's home and demand a place to stay - these acts are unlawful.

Somehow the illegal aliens' actions are revered as not only OK, but all honest hard working Americans are forced to pay for their want.

Dreamers? What about us the hard working citizens' dreams? Our dreams for our children?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:01 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
one thing you cannot say - that they are not hard working- we all know it

Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,191,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
one thing you cannot say - that they are not hard working- we all know it
If that were a criteria for citizenship, you'd have to let about 3 billion people in, and ask about 200 million current US citizens to depart.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^What a hateful comment.

Obama is NOT doing the right thing. Doing DACA and this latest EO is his way of giving the finger to the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans and legal immigrants.
LOL, it's a "hateful" comment to be pro-immigrant, in a country that was built by immigrants and defined by immigration?

If anything, people should criticize Obama for not going far enough. There should be a path to legal status and eventual citizenship for all these folks, provided they follow the law. Obama is doing a half-assed job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You love DACA but it is grossly unfair to those foreign students who followed the law and got a foreign student visa to go to college here.
LOL! You are saying that undocumented Hondurans should have "followed the law" by going to university in the U.S.! That's a good one!

They don't have money for beans and rice; they live in a hand-built shantytown with dirt floors (yes I have been to such towns); they don't even own shoes, there is one TV in the village, they live in fear of civil war and gang rapes, but you want them to somehow spend around 5-7 thousand US dollars to apply for a student visa (yes it costs that much), while (of course) applying to U.S. universities (which generally cost around 40k a year).

Yet they don't even speak English or Spanish- a huge proportion of the undocumented are indigenous with no English or Spanish, and often illiterate, and have never been outside their village, but you think they should come here legally by going to Harvard. Gee, thanks for the solid advice! Why didn't they think of this?

They don't even have the money to take the bus to the one visa processing center in these countries, nor would they have the money to stay overnight, nor would they have the money to actually submit the application. They don't even own shoes. They're probably never been in an office building. 90% of the applicants for student or visitor visas are rejected, and no, you don't get the $700 application fee back. Your complete ignorance of the situation is ridiculous.

For the millionth time, there is NO legal path for these folks. If you are anti-path to legalization, you are anti-immigrant. Simple as that. You cannot say "I support immigration, but only legal immigration", and then refuse to create a path towards legalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration