Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 08:08 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times

Advertisements

We just got an illegal applying for a rental and her husband who is a citizen telling us she is in the process to getting a green card soon from Obama under the new law. They first showed us an application without SSN and without tax ID and than showing a visa that I happen to be familiar with and us asking for the I-94 and that is when they immediately called us to say they never heard of what an I-94 stands for...Uhm.

We rented to many foreigners and even some who are recently legally in the country but they all were honest to tell us right away why they didn't have a SSN and no tax ID and not pulling teeth to get info...

This couple is married with 2 different last addresses and 4 young kids... red flags all over the place.

The thing that stood out is the confidence to get asap a green card from Obama and than knowing many legal aliens who are for years in line is very upsetting but professionally we can't let our personal opinion get in the way but it is bothering if people like this get in front of the line while legal are pushed back and already there is a back log so long....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 04:54 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We just got an illegal applying for a rental and her husband who is a citizen telling us she is in the process to getting a green card soon from Obama under the new law. They first showed us an application without SSN and without tax ID and than showing a visa that I happen to be familiar with and us asking for the I-94 and that is when they immediately called us to say they never heard of what an I-94 stands for...Uhm.

We rented to many foreigners and even some who are recently legally in the country but they all were honest to tell us right away why they didn't have a SSN and no tax ID and not pulling teeth to get info...

This couple is married with 2 different last addresses and 4 young kids... red flags all over the place.

The thing that stood out is the confidence to get asap a green card from Obama and than knowing many legal aliens who are for years in line is very upsetting but professionally we can't let our personal opinion get in the way but it is bothering if people like this get in front of the line while legal are pushed back and already there is a back log so long....
Good for you for doing the right thing by not renting to them. What a slap in the face to all the people who are paying money, filling in forms, getting background checks, verifying their identity--waiting and waiting to get in.

Are the LEGAL immigrants going to get refunds of all the money they have spent paying the required fees to go through the process? Or reimbursement for the time wasted waiting or and anguish of not knowing?

Most of us are here legally. Our ancestors applied and had sponsors. If our ancestors came here before it was a country, they were usually sponsored (if you can call it that) by whatever country ruled that certain area of this land. I am all for people coming here LEGALLY and the legal process should be more open and easier--and cheaper. The way it is now is simply very unfair.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Good for you for doing the right thing by not renting to them. What a slap in the face to all the people who are paying money, filling in forms, getting background checks, verifying their identity--waiting and waiting to get in.

Are the LEGAL immigrants going to get refunds of all the money they have spent paying the required fees to go through the process? Or reimbursement for the time wasted waiting or and anguish of not knowing?

Most of us are here legally. Our ancestors applied and had sponsors. If our ancestors came here before it was a country, they were usually sponsored (if you can call it that) by whatever country ruled that certain area of this land. I am all for people coming here LEGALLY and the legal process should be more open and easier--and cheaper. The way it is now is simply very unfair.
Well in the end it is not up to me or my office to rent or not to rent to them since we always let the owners decide after we provide them with the info. Their pay stubs check out and the rest checks out as well and we are waiting for the owners to reply.

This kind of visa that the woman has is kind of a weird one and we had it at one time and thought it was good for 10 years as it shows on the visa but we did some research since the I-94 card was only good for 6 months and we were actually back within 2 weeks and we learned you have 10 years to activate the visa but it is only valid for 6 months so it is easily to be taken in the wrong way by foreigners who don't research more and check the dates on the visa.

Also we learned over here the visa is not the most important item but the I-94 card which is now only to see online is the what counts...it is confusing.

That aside leaves us to be angry about illegals who have not going to through all the travel expenses and fees to be paid over all the years as we have done to be able to stay here and it took us years to be able to make it and able to stay in a legal way and we have a lot of foreign friends who are still in limbo and some have throw in the towel and closed their businesses to move it abroad due to their kids aging out and not all of them able to attend college but with no SSN they couldn't work and they didn't want to become illegals and now some of them regret it since they would have gotten in line as an illegal what they couldn't be able to get in a legal way.

How unfair is that!!!! Have no words for it and see they heartbreaking family tragedies and Americans often say that they choose to come here and it is their fault...I think it is combined the fault of the flaws in the system and the way hardly anyone is explained what the visa is for and how to expect things down the line and any lawyer will tell them when they apply " you can always change and apply for a green card" since these lawyers only want to charge a fee for the visa and years down the road they will see if they can get more money so basically lawyers are not advising but just accepting the fee without much of an explanation.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:23 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,705,167 times
Bentle, you need more than one period per paragraph. Your posts are impossible to understand.

Quote:
Lots of people have "immigrant friends" who are supposedly angry. Haven't heard from many actual immigrants.

The reason legal immigrants aren't upset about the amnesty, is that we understand the immigration system, having been through it. Rather than get our information from idiot pundits screaming about citizenship and green cards, we actually read the details and understand what is going on. If you want to follow suit, go here: Executive Actions on Immigration | USCIS

The amnesty isn't a green card or any sort of LPR--which is the expensive and difficult-to-obtain document which most legal immigrants held at one time or another. The amnesty is simply temporary freedom from deportation and government interference in illegals ability to get a legal job, for 3 years.

It is only extended to parents of legal residents and citizens, it is temporary, and it is only within the confines of executive power. Congress will likely change immigration laws within the next few years and negate this deferred action both for minors (DACA) and for parents of LPRs/citizens.

It doesn't have any effect on my status, and wouldn't have had any effect in the past, because I didn't have US citizen kids at any time when I wasn't a citizen. Furthermore, I wouldn't have used the act, even if I had citizen children, because it is not very beneficial. The only permanent way to immigrate still requires jumping through all the hoops. Applying for amnesty just puts your name on a list which could be used against you with any shift in the political winds.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:52 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
watch any discrimination- can get in a lot of trouble and sometimes what they present might look iffy but they undercover,

Old 12-04-2014, 03:10 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,808,494 times
When we lived in NY and owned a business, we were frightened to hire any illegals and so we hired americans. Many of our friends did hire people from other countries and they were always being stopped as they drove even if they were legal.
Now I hear that Obama is going to pay business owners money for hiring illegals? Does this make any sense.

We also were landlords, and again, had many prospective tenants look at our properties. Again, I wouldn't rent ; why ; because in the area we had property, houses were over crowded. One time I had a person look at the property (it was a 4 bed, 2 bath) and I asked how many people, he said 10. I said no way, the house was not zoned for that.

Funny as we are immigrants and did get our green cards by way of a Donnelly visa. But we stayed, worked hard, and live the american dream. In NY, I saw way too many people that were illegal here, with the hand out for every single thing. In Canada, when one gets a working visa, Immigration there want to make sure you are not going to become a burden on society and thefore they are pretty strict ; if you don't follow our rules, you leave. Here if people don't follow our rules, they get rewarded.

As 1st generation, my boys have such a disadvantage over illegal 1st generation children. Why ; because they are being raised to be independent good kids.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:23 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,610,245 times
Doesn't bother me at all. I have so many advantages over the vast majority of illegal immigrants that it would be petty to begrudge them anything.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:43 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Doesn't bother me at all. I have so many advantages over the vast majority of illegal immigrants that it would be petty to begrudge them anything.
If it doesn't bother you, then why did you bother to go through the process of coming here legally?

What other criminals do you not "begrudge...anything"? Gee...bank robbers want to be rich and don't want to work for it. I guess you don't "begrudge them anything".

Old 12-06-2014, 07:54 AM

I'm a legal immigrant and I'm upset!!!!

Is that enough?

btw the owners of the property after we disclosed almost everything that we are allowed to disclose, decided not to rent to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Bentle, you need more than one period per paragraph. Your posts are impossible to understand.

Lots of people have "immigrant friends" who are supposedly angry. Haven't heard from many actual immigrants.

The reason legal immigrants aren't upset about the amnesty, is that we understand the immigration system, having been through it. Rather than get our information from idiot pundits screaming about citizenship and green cards, we actually read the details and understand what is going on. If you want to follow suit, go here: Executive Actions on Immigration | USCIS

The amnesty isn't a green card or any sort of LPR--which is the expensive and difficult-to-obtain document which most legal immigrants held at one time or another. The amnesty is simply temporary freedom from deportation and government interference in illegals ability to get a legal job, for 3 years.

It is only extended to parents of legal residents and citizens, it is temporary, and it is only within the confines of executive power. Congress will likely change immigration laws within the next few years and negate this deferred action both for minors (DACA) and for parents of LPRs/citizens.

It doesn't have any effect on my status, and wouldn't have had any effect in the past, because I didn't have US citizen kids at any time when I wasn't a citizen. Furthermore, I wouldn't have used the act, even if I had citizen children, because it is not very beneficial. The only permanent way to immigrate still requires jumping through all the hoops. Applying for amnesty just puts your name on a list which could be used against you with any shift in the political winds.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

Parts of what you are saying are true but it is already determined that illegals who will fall under this executive order will be able to apply for entitlements!

Indeed coming out may be a risk for them if it is reversed but we all know that won't happen since they already speak louder than leegals and if you see what is going on in this country it seems the main stream media is giving illegals more of a platform than legal aliens and it seems legal aliens are the "new legal- illegal aliens" if you get what I'm trying to say.

Being legal is for many people not a reason to speak out loud since they want to intergrate and not stand out...illegals often are so loud that to me they feel entitled and by being louder they get their way...maybe at is smarter than how leegals are doing it since the President listens to them but not to others.
I have written about leegals aliens to the White House and not one answer back other than notifications to donate money to the a democrats party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration