Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times

Advertisements

Well of course it bothers them.

However, they need to suck it up. Congress needs to fix immigration. They have failed to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 12:15 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If I had jumped through all the necessary hoops to become a citizen, it would make me angry to see others who were here illegally be given amnesty. It makes me angry as a natural born citizen. Do you think it's fair?
Why would they? Many of the illegals are here under the hospitality of legal immigrants. They are family and couldn't wait for the long waiting period for their legal status to be approved. They are friends, coworkers, and employees who came at the invitation of those whose obtained legal status.

Why would employers? Many came here legally at the invitation of employers and were discarded without any other home or a means to make a living. They stay where they've made connections and have the best chance to make a life.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:17 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
When I became a US citizen, the judge who swore us in made the point that we chose to become citizens. We were not born citizens and we did not become citizens by some kind of default. We obeyed the rules, jumped through the legal and administrative hoops, paid our taxes and the fees, and proved that we were law abiding and respectable.

So, yeah, the idea of amnesty or immunity does bother me. At the same time, we have a practical problem with regard to the illegal immigrants that are here.

We need to figure out a solution to the illegal immigrant problem. We have millions of illegals living here, it is functionally impossible to seal our borders hermetically, and it is probably not possible to deport them all. So we need a solution that gives illegals already here a path to legality while still being fair to those who obeyed the rules. And we need effective laws against those who 'enable' illegals to be able to live and work here. That means real sanctions on those who give illegals employment and those who rent them places to live. And those sanctions have to be tough enough that nobody wants to take the risk of giving a job to an illegal. Because if there were no jobs they wouldn't come.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:21 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Who doesnt this issue bother? I'd love to hear from them and why they are NOT bothered by this.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:22 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
I'm a naturalized citizen, and the whole legal immigration process took a lot of years and a lot of money. I happen to know a young man who's from Sri Lanka, and he has told me about the complicated process that he had to go through just to get a one-year visa to come here. Not only did he have to prove that he's financially stable, but also a representative from the American embassy had to go visit him at home to take a look at what his living conditions are like.

So, it's completely unfair that all these illegal border crossers (mostly Mexicans) are going to automatically be granted legal status. Many of them only come here to pop out anchor babies anyway. All they have to do is cross the border. It doesn't matter how poor they are. They will be given legal status just like that. That's insane! This country cannot afford to take in all the world's poor and downtrodden.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Its scary too because they have soo many kids. Just a disgrace.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:30 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Nice post Jaggy,

I can't help to think that were a country built on law and order to be respected and followed by all, they fail to speak our language, they wave another a flag, they do not respect my people or our laws nor our ways, yeah, they are entitled to green card and nothing more, the illegals have to prove that they WANT to be Americans, let the illegals wait at the back of the line, let the illegals pay their fees and other cost, background checks. Let the illegals stay out of trouble and in ten years we should make them Americans, and it all comes without voting, without health benefits and without welfare, without what's in it for them mentality, then and only then, the illegals can become law abiding citizens of the United States of America. This how I feel about this FUBAR. Thanks..

Knight

Old 11-20-2014, 01:46 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Former legal immigrant here, naturalized as a US citizen several decades ago. Do I resent an executive order granting reprieve from deportation to illegal aliens? No, not in the least. Why not? Because I think that the economic and societal dislocation of mass-deportation would be so grievous, that there is far more adverse impact on me as an investor and a taxpaying member of society, than the adverse impact of watching helplessly as illegal immigrants receive privileges and protections for which I had to wait, struggle and pay.

I would not support a free and seamless passage from illegal-status to US citizenship, but I don't think that such proposals are under serious consideration. What I emphatically do support is some scheme for regularization of illegal immigrants, not without penalty or waiting-periods, but nevertheless with some form of dignity and order. Yes, illegal immigration is a crime, but even criminals have rights, and crimes vary in their severity. While we shouldn't make crime "pay", the severity of dealing with the crime should be commensurate with that of the crime itself.

Even as a naturalized citizen, I'll always have an outsider's perspective looking in. Though I'm grateful for the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of citizenship, in many psychological ways I identify with immigrants of all stripes – legal or illegal – more so than with native-born citizens. And even though I paid my dues and patiently waited for my turn in line, to some extent a critique against any immigrant (legal or illegal) feels like a collective slight against all immigrants. Blanket cries of deportation do not validate my efforts and patience as a legal immigrant and naturalized citizen. On the contrary, they fluster and irritate me, ultimately as a division between the native-born and everyone else.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:52 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Why would it bother legal immigrants? Illegal immigrants couldn't come legally in the first place. There is no legal process for them, unless they have immediate family ties.

I am not an immigrant, but my wife is one (legal).

Old 11-20-2014, 01:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
It's true, illegal Mexicans breed like rats. Watch this video in which this man who's a naturalized citizen born in Mexico says that Mexicans breed like rats. Scroll to the 4:40 mark.
Well if it's on Youtube then it must be correct.

The birthrate in Mexico these days is around the same as the U.S. Many Latin American countries have even lower birthrates than the U.S. It isn't 1950 anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration