Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:56 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Having said that I would be a little peeved if I had a lot of time and money invested in going through the right legal channels, while at the same time having some sympathy for the plight of others wanting to better their lives.
That's how I feel. I paid $$$$$ to come here, spent countless hours at doctors offices to get exams, aids, tests, diabetes test, lung xrays, ..... and others just come here and can stay, don't even have to learn the language and even get financial support, while my a$$ gets shipped home if I get divorced within the 2 year time frame.

I have coworkers who are here on a work visa. They are highly trained, well educated engineers, clearly an asset to the US. However, they had to send tons of letters to obtain a work visa, lists of reasons why it benefits the US to have them stay temporary, promise to leave if they lose this specific job, etc. etc.

And then others just show up illegallly ... with no job skill, education or money .. not fair. I don't blame them. I blame the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 04:55 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's how I feel. I paid $$$$$ to come here, spent countless hours at doctors offices to get exams, aids, tests, diabetes test, lung xrays, ..... and others just come here and can stay, don't even have to learn the language and even get financial support, while my a$$ gets shipped home if I get divorced within the 2 year time frame.

I have coworkers who are here on a work visa. They are highly trained, well educated engineers, clearly an asset to the US. However, they had to send tons of letters to obtain a work visa, lists of reasons why it benefits the US to have them stay temporary, promise to leave if they lose this specific job, etc. etc.

And then others just show up illegallly ... with no job skill, education or money .. not fair. I don't blame them. I blame the government.
You nailed it! Once the government is telling illegal they are some kind of people to feel sorry for and they should have the right to stay here it was like a slap in the face as legal aren't mentioned and all the hardships they have to go through to do it the legal way like that is an easy sailing with no bumps and doesn't cost a dime.

Just the waiting and annual payments for a drivers license and being looked at like a zombie and not able to go to the nearest DMV like everyone else but having to go to a different County where legal or better said "aliens" being welcome.

But what to expect with someone in charge who doesn't honor any laws and started out with a law degree!

Old 04-23-2016, 03:40 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,364 times
this question is duh. why bother even asking? who among the legal immigrants want amnesty to those who come to the US illegally, regardless of their "plight"? if that were so, let's all just come in the US through mexico and expect everything to be handed to us in a silver spoon, financial aid, housing, healthcare, education and all. heck, they even demand that they don't have to learn the language. how do you expect these people to even be contributors to the country when they come with no skills/education and no desire to learn the language? heck, they even demand that they don't have to assimilate into the country, that their culture be put in priority over the rest of the country's native culture.

those damn politicians. they certainly have nothing better to do. they don't even have to live with those illegals. they're so sheltered from the reality of the rest of the world, with all their wealth from lobbyists/big companies, and lifetime of healthcare coverage, that they can't even see things RIGHT

Old 04-23-2016, 03:47 PM

i guess those who are pro-amnesty are okay with their hard-earned taxes and healthcare benefits be usurped by the illegals. i certainly am not okay with it, and i have to work til 80 to be able to retire sufficiently enough. so NO, charity be damned. just because it's easy for them to cross the border that they can demand amnesty. so if you're from, say, bangladesh, and you have to fly just to get to the US, no way can you just get in illegally at the port. you may have a tourist visa and then overstay that visa, but you don't just hop on a plane and get in the US with no documentation. no way, jose!

Old 04-23-2016, 04:13 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,410 times
No.

There are plenty of legal immigrants that own businesses and will be the first to hire the new 'legal' immigrants that are of the same culture, language and race.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:49 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
No.

There are plenty of legal immigrants that own businesses and will be the first to hire the new 'legal' immigrants that are of the same culture, language and race.
I agree~~ Why should they..because immunity doesn't mean "Citizenship" only means they can be a registered TAXPAYER!! I find it so ridiculous that anti-immigration/illegal folks get "BENT" out of shape blaming them for everything from job theft to murdering. ..because the bad actors is such a small % of those 13 million or 12 million illegals have been so maligned yet have been taken advantage of by those Corporate/Businesses who benefit by hiring them..Just talk to Trump contractors who use them for building those super towers/hotels/construction!!

Wonder what those stats are since these folks are undocumented..it's impossible to come up with accurate data!! Those who served sentence..got deported then returned to re-offend speaks more to the Border Control issue..Blame them?? Meanwhile 11 million illegals, are being targeted for the felonious few by political pundits !!

If those who have been here for generations..and contributed to society thru small business and many have become well educated and become advocates..Yet par USUAL..the WHOLE group gets painted by the small % who commit crimes! T

The above paragraph is so typical of Extreme RWC..For them ( from my listening for past decade especially) it's always Incidence 1-10 means they're ALL Guilty..then of Course ..when a few BAD APPLE Cops get caught doing something and get exposed...These same folks try to divert and SAY those complaining HATE ALL COPS (Reiculous!!) The same happens with Corrupt Politicians~~ IF RW politicians..plenty of excuses or conspiracy theories to suggest..not ALL blah blah..BUT LW politicians when do wrong..NObody from the LEFT defends them..BUT RW then paints the "LIBS" are ALL Corrupt!!

What's with ALL term?? Why does RW folk always paint whatever blameworthiness folks as ALL encompassing?

It's been the trend for past few decades or so..BUT got ratcheted up since BO came into office! Just an observation from someone who lives not 40 minutes from US border

Old 04-24-2016, 10:45 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
I have seen too many hardship cases from US spouses not concerning themselves with basics such as driver's licenses. Immigration is the last thing on their mind. Abuse from physical violence to restrictions close to hostage situation (You can leave the kids stay is a pretty regular one.). Folks willing to go through coyotes hoping for a better life. The you have the Obama family. Enough said! It does. It bother me. Read the inscription on the Statue of Liberty.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:46 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planned293 View Post
Rather old post, let's rekindle it.

Coming to USA legally is harder, more time taking and more costly than doing it illegally. I know someone who had to get two masters from another country so he/she could prove to immigration that he/she would be a genuine student in order to get a student visa.
Probably not, people paying human smugglers pay through the nose and take a chance that they won't be robbed/raped/die on the way, and that happens to many migrants coming up from Latin America. Hundreds die each year trying to get across the Mexico/U.S. border. Many more die crossing from Central American countries up through Mexico.

If you're a legal immigrant, you don't run that risk at all. You aren't putting your life into the hands of organized criminals like people smugglers. You aren't going to spend weeks or months walking through deserts, wading through rivers, scrounging for food, climbing onto trains, etc....

If you're a legal immigrant, you normally need to have a job lined up and waiting for you before you arrive, so you probably have a university degree (at least one) and decent employable skills. You have savings in the bank to cover your expenses, and you're more than likely a comfortable middle class person, if not a rich immigrant.

You can oppose illegal immigration for a lot of reasons, but saying that legal immigrants suffer more hardships than illegal immigrants is a bit detached from reality.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Probably not, people paying human smugglers pay through the nose and take a chance that they won't be robbed/raped/die on the way, and that happens to many migrants coming up from Latin America. Hundreds die each year trying to get across the Mexico/U.S. border. Many more die crossing from Central American countries up through Mexico.

If you're a legal immigrant, you don't run that risk at all. You aren't putting your life into the hands of organized criminals like people smugglers. You aren't going to spend weeks or months walking through deserts, wading through rivers, scrounging for food, climbing onto trains, etc....

If you're a legal immigrant, you normally need to have a job lined up and waiting for you before you arrive, so you probably have a university degree (at least one) and decent employable skills. You have savings in the bank to cover your expenses, and you're more than likely a comfortable middle class person, if not a rich immigrant.

You can oppose illegal immigration for a lot of reasons, but saying that legal immigrants suffer more hardships than illegal immigrants is a bit detached from reality.

but the illegals willingly put themselves through it, didn't they? were they asked to go through that to get to the US?

again, just because the southern border is so porous that they can just sneak in, then they can demand amnesty? what kind of logic is that? and then to demand that everything be translated for them, not even bothering to learn the language? if they really want to assimilate in the US, then they should be prepared to learn the culture and language

Old 04-24-2016, 10:05 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
It bothers a few of my colleagues, who are educated "immigrant-wanna be's" from Canada, India and China, all working here in Silicon Valley through H1-B's.

They are going through the arduous process of obtaining their greencards and are not happy that someone can "jump over the fence" and obtain a greencard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration