Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:19 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,629,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If I had jumped through all the necessary hoops to become a citizen, it would make me angry to see others who were here illegally be given amnesty. It makes me angry as a natural born citizen. Do you think it's fair?
Yes, it does BIG time. My wife is a legal immigrant from China who jumped through all the hoops and it took a lot of time and scrutiny to finally end up here. (ten years ago) She is furious that people who bypassed all of that may be given immunity! If makes her so angry that she- an educated person who was not poor who had something to actually contribute would go through that kind of scrutiny and yet many who come illegally have nothing to actually offer and are allowed to stay. She doesn't understand why we aren't like most other developed countries, where we take a hard stand and only let those come here who truly have something to offer- not any who would be a burden to our tax payer base, public services, etc. (such as Canada, who only allows people with high education or unique skills that can be beneficial to the nation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
What bothers me more is the fact that this POTUS has, without question, trampled upon the US Constitution as if it were Sunday's sports page.

He has NO REGARD FOR LAW - and thinks he can come up with laws on his own... This is NOT how our country is to be run, and his actions are painfully hurtful to our country.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:42 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
If it bothers them, then they need to get over it and move on with their lives.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:45 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
No, because it's pretty much impossible to immigrate to the US legally if you're not privileged and already wealthy.
And that's exactly the point! We need to be selective like many other first world nations are, it is not beneficial to us as a nation to allow large numbers in who are poor or have no education or special skills that can benefit the country. In order to stay on top, we need to make it easier for those to come who have advanced degrees, who have sought after job skills, or who want to come here to go to college. Those are the people we want to make sure we fast track to legal status, take down the hoops and do what it takes to get them and keep them here.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:21 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,113,000 times
Well, life isn't fair. Everyone is complaining, but what IS the solution if this isn't it? How feasible is it to go door to door and just start kicking people out? Congress has had more than ample time to figure out some solutions and they've done zilch.

I suppose it's pretty easy to classify all illegal immigrants as lazy immoral criminals. I'm sure there are a few that fit that description, but I suspect most of them are just trying to get by and make a better life for their children. Does that mean we should let just anyone skip over the border? Of course not, but I have empathy for those of them that really are trying and just want to work and go home to their families at the end of the day.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:38 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Don't even GO there. My brother in law and cousin were DEPORTED for working one night a week at an ethnic restaurant during MEDICAL SCHOOL here, which they FULLY PAID FOR. Cash. NO LOANS. My other cousin jumped ship FOUR TIMES and got deported then the fourth time lived in a basement of a restaurant for TWO YEARS never seeing the light of day until he saved enough to pay a girl to marry him. They stayed together forever, BTW and he joined the US Air Force.

I take some small consolation in the prospect of watching all the other ILLEGALS get extremely MAD at the ones Obama sanctioned last night.

Story of his life and politics; HAVE TO HAVE a permanent underclass to keep the Democrats in business.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:40 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Well, life isn't fair. Everyone is complaining, but what IS the solution if this isn't it? How feasible is it to go door to door and just start kicking people out? Congress has had more than ample time to figure out some solutions and they've done zilch.

I suppose it's pretty easy to classify all illegal immigrants as lazy immoral criminals. I'm sure there are a few that fit that description, but I suspect most of them are just trying to get by and make a better life for their children. Does that mean we should let just anyone skip over the border? Of course not, but I have empathy for those of them that really are trying and just want to work and go home to their families at the end of the day.
Just because Obama decided "it's time" to do something about immigration doesn't mean it has to happen. You ARE familiar with the Constitution, right? CO EQUAL BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT.

And when REAGAN did it, he got hosed and so did we because NO BORDER SECURITY EVER HAPPENED.

Is immigration broken? TRY ENFORCING THE EXISTING LAWS.

WANT TO WORK? HAHAHA

The most indigent, illiterate and unskilled people were the ones BRAZENLY crossing the border all summer that Obama WELCOMED. Not even literate in THEIR OWN LANGUAGE. Some kid my son knew who was BORN HERE used to go to the bathroom in his TRASHCAN at his house because that's how his PARENTS RAISED HIM since they knew NOTHING about PLUMBING. RIGHT IN BOCA RATON FLORIDA.

The figures on these illegals is ENORMOUS in so far as the percentage on Medicaid and welfare. Immigrants and their U.S.-born children make up more than 40 percent of new Medicaid recipients at a cost of $4.6 billion.

It's a COMPLETE JOKE and FALLACY that these people will contribute to the economy, pay taxes etc. A HUGE percentage are making PEANUTS and not only won't even OWE taxes but will qualify for the stupid Earned Income Tax Credit and get a "REFUND" meaning TAXPAYER SUBSIDY.

That's cute you completely ignored the topic of SECURING THE BORDER FIRST.

Also amazing you completely ignore the hundreds of thousands of CRIMINALS let run free.

ALSO amazing you completely ignore that the Administration already had put out bids for transport of those illegal border crossers this summer way back in JANUARY. To dump them on unsuspecting towns and cities across America. Overload the schools, health care system and law enforcement.

But that's sweet you're willing to sacrifice YOUR life and tax dollars and ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE's in the country because you have ~empathy.

Why aren't you asking why YOU GUYS didn't take care of this when you had Congress for two years? It's ok. We know. You wouldn't DARE since you knew it would mean NONE OF YOU would get re-elected.

Do you seriously NOT KNOW that just ANYONE CAN JUST "SKIP OVER THE BORDER" right now?

WHY DID OBAMA SUE ARIZONA for trying to pass a law EXACTLY LIKE THE FED LAW for THEIR BORDERS?

It's ok again. WE KNOW you just want as many future Democrat voters as possible here.

Sadly you seem to have NO CONCEPT of what's going on in Europe with their FAILED MULTICULTURAL EXPERIMENT.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-21-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 12:15 PM

596 posts, read 730,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
And that's exactly the point! We need to be selective like many other first world nations are, it is not beneficial to us as a nation to allow large numbers in who are poor or have no education or special skills that can benefit the country. In order to stay on top, we need to make it easier for those to come who have advanced degrees, who have sought after job skills, or who want to come here to go to college. Those are the people we want to make sure we fast track to legal status, take down the hoops and do what it takes to get them and keep them here.
Interesting. I know plenty of people whose ancestors came here through Ellis Island decades ago, and they didn't have a penny to their name. I'm sure they're glad that poor people were allowed to enter the country. If only people with money and/or advanced degrees were allowed to come here, then a lot of natural born citizens would not be here because their ancestors wouldn't have met your elitist criteria.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:34 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,191,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post

No, not lazy or immoral, but definitely criminals (as in - those who break the law by entering and overstaying).

No need to go door to door - just make the penalties for hiring illegals severe enough, plus eliminate social welfare, and they will leave on their one, and stop coming in any large number. There is no need for border fences, more border agents etc.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,191,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Interesting. I know plenty of people whose ancestors came here through Ellis Island decades ago, and they didn't have a penny to their name. I'm sure they're glad that poor people were allowed to enter the country. If only people with money and/or advanced degrees were allowed to come here, then a lot of natural born citizens would not be here because their ancestors wouldn't have met your elitist criteria.
I think there is a big difference between "illegal" and "poor". I am all in favor of allowing the poor to immigrate so long as they qualify according to law. I am also in favor of deporting anyone illegal, regardless of wealth or advanced degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration