Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:24 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,656 times

Advertisements

U.S. immigration policy is mainly determined by corporate interests. And corporate interests get the attention of our sorry politions in this country. I agree with everyone here who said to fine the crap out of companies that hire undocumented people in the country illegally. However, the extent to which these workers serve corporate interests is vast. If it weren't for their work in agriculture, big food outfits (including slaughter and fast food), construction & land development, tourism, retail, etc., the greedy shareholders of these big companies would lose profits. And that's a big ol' no-no, isn't it? Heaven forbid the gazillionaire should clean his mansion's toilets and cook food for their own kids---or employ a citizen at decent wages. Oh, no, no no!

We are being played with a two-sided coin, folks. It just kills me that Republicans and their capitalist buddies are always touting the virtues of competition, making profits, greed is good, yada yada yada---when all along it is them and their ilk that cause all of the turmoil. Then they have the audacity to play the game of pitting the people at the bottom (citizens vs. illegal workers) against each other. This is evil what they do. WAKE UP y'all.

Last edited by TotallyTam; 11-21-2014 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,113,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_k View Post
No, not lazy or immoral, but definitely criminals (as in - those who break the law by entering and overstaying).

No need to go door to door - just make the penalties for hiring illegals severe enough, plus eliminate social welfare, and they will leave on their one, and stop coming in any large number. There is no need for border fences, more border agents etc.

We both know the interests of big business and politicians will never allow those penalties to be enforced.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
You're right. It's the Americans that we have to pay to not do the jobs that Americans supposedly won't do.

Funny thing is, if you get away from California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, or selected big cities, you do see Americans doing those jobs. Stay at a hotel in a place like Kalamazoo MI or Grand Junction CO or Lincoln NE, and see who cleans your room. See who does drywall in Montana and Kansas. Get away from the areas I mentioned and you will find fast food jobs dominated by high schoolers.
Well, yeah---but those small towns are not the big employment hubs, are they?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Interesting. I know plenty of people whose ancestors came here through Ellis Island decades ago, and they didn't have a penny to their name. I'm sure they're glad that poor people were allowed to enter the country. If only people with money and/or advanced degrees were allowed to come here, then a lot of natural born citizens would not be here because their ancestors wouldn't have met your elitist criteria.
This is an excellent point. ^^^ I know my paternal great-grandparents from Norway and Poland didn't have a pot to **** in when they came here on a boat. I can't even be sure my Polish side could read or write.

Migrations of people across the land masses (and across oceans) through the ages have all had a similar thread--they were seeking resources and stability in order to feed themselves and their families. It's time humans treated other humans humanely--and not speak of each other as if the other were dirt. It doesn't bother me one iota that there are border-crossers in the U.S. working and providing for their families. Most Americans wouldn't even cross the street for the jobs they hold or the low (exploited!) wages they earn.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:58 PM

919 posts, read 848,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Does that mean we should let just anyone skip over the border? Of course not, but I have empathy for those of them that really are trying and just want to work and go home to their families at the end of the day.
So.. we should not let people just skip over the border.
But if they do, we should let them work here and raise families, instead of deporting them.
Perfect logic, makes sense to me. That won't encourage others to "skip over the border" at all.

"Hey, please don't break our laws. I mean, really, pretty please with a cherry on top! Oh you did? Oh well, nothing we can do about it." Brilliant.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:17 PM

92 posts, read 176,711 times
As a Canadian citizen planning to legally immigrate to the USA next year, it does not bother me at all that these poor unfortunate victims of life circumstance may in fact be given the opportunity to find their bliss in the US. Really, you're going to condemn them for trying to make a better life for themselves and their families?

There is no other immigration path for these people. There is no "line" to "wait in" or ANY hope of EVER being able to go to the US legally. They didn't just jump the line, people. If their circumstances in their home country are honestly so dire that they're willing to risk life and limb to kiss American soil, then how on earth can you sit on your Ikea sofa in your 2-car garage subdivision house, and pause your TiVo just long enough to ***** about sending them back?! Back to what?!

Think about it: if someone else's utter relief and joy is enough to upset you and send your own happiness into a tailspin, how can you even look at yourself in the mirror? What kind of person does that make you? And all because you either didn't have to immigrate at all, or you were blessed to be able to do it legally? What if you had no path? Does their ability to find a better life illegally honestly make you any less grateful for your ability to have done it legally? Think about what you did to get to the US... Would you yourself have traded places with any one of these illegals instead? Instead of marrying or starting a business, would you have ran/climbed/dug/swam and risked personal safety to get across the border? No? Ain't so easy then, is it?

Anyone who fears that immigration hurts the job prospects in the long run doesn't understand basic economics. Give these people access to services and the ability to make a productive life, they're going to spend their dollars and businesses will grow to compensate, in turn creating more local jobs. The REAL issue plaguing the economy is the outsourcing of jobs to cheaper countries, but that has nothing to do with people IN AMERICA taking jobs IN AMERICA that make money IN AMERICA to spend IN AMERICA... To in turn help businesses grow IN AMERICA to meet those demands.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:26 PM

92 posts, read 176,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Very unfair. We came her legally and know many families like us who have E2 kids who have no path to a green card and no SSN after being here for almost 15 year. One may have a path throug a family member in like ten years from now when he will approx. 30 and the other one will have to marry a US citizen to be able to stay or leave when he turns 21 and say bye to his parents who own a business here for 15 years and had no clue when they came here that the age of 21 would be such an issue.

But illegals who are here 5 years can stay...

fair? NO for sure not!!!
Yeah. But the problem isn't that the illegals can stay. The problem is that the kids of E2 visa holders cannot. Don't you see that?

Old 11-21-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenHorses View Post
As a Canadian citizen planning to legally immigrate to the USA next year, it does not bother me at all that these poor unfortunate victims of life circumstance may in fact be given the opportunity to find their bliss in the US. Really, you're going to condemn them for trying to make a better life for themselves and their families?

There is no other immigration path for these people. There is no "line" to "wait in" or ANY hope of EVER being able to go to the US legally. They didn't just jump the line, people. If their circumstances in their home country are honestly so dire that they're willing to risk life and limb to kiss American soil, then how on earth can you sit on your Ikea sofa in your 2-car garage subdivision house, and pause your TiVo just long enough to ***** about sending them back?! Back to what?!

Think about it: if someone else's utter relief and joy is enough to upset you and send your own happiness into a tailspin, how can you even look at yourself in the mirror? What kind of person does that make you? And all because you either didn't have to immigrate at all, or you were blessed to be able to do it legally? What if you had no path? Does their ability to find a better life illegally honestly make you any less grateful for your ability to have done it legally? Think about what you did to get to the US... Would you yourself have traded places with any one of these illegals instead? Instead of marrying or starting a business, would you have ran/climbed/dug/swam and risked personal safety to get across the border? No? Ain't so easy then, is it?

Anyone who fears that immigration hurts the job prospects in the long run doesn't understand basic economics. Give these people access to services and the ability to make a productive life, they're going to spend their dollars and businesses will grow to compensate, in turn creating more local jobs. The REAL issue plaguing the economy is the outsourcing of jobs to cheaper countries, but that has nothing to do with people IN AMERICA taking jobs IN AMERICA that make money IN AMERICA to spend IN AMERICA... To in turn help businesses grow IN AMERICA to meet those demands.
Great post ^^^ and a kindred spirit. I like your style, AikenHorses!

Old 11-21-2014, 03:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,758,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenHorses View Post

We owe them absolutely nothing. This country is ALREADY overcrowded as it is. Traffic is awful and jobs are hard to come by. Granting legal rights to illegals will only entice other people to illegally cross the border. It'll be a neverending cycle. The government has got to put a stop to it at some point.

And how ironic that a people who claim to come from "dire circumstances" constantly pop out babies like there's no tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,282,368 times
I married my wife when I was in the military overseas. We went through the whole immigration process legally. The medical exams, tests, permits, green cards, etc. She got her US citizenship two years ago. We paid all the fees and jumped through all the hoops.

The criminals that come over illegally bother both of us. It's a slap in the face to legal immigrants who did things the right way. For some, it takes years to get a green card.

I used to tell my wife that it would have been faster, easier and cheaper for me to drop her in Tijuana and then smuggle her over. But of course, only the criminals do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration