Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:06 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times

Advertisements

If I had jumped through all the necessary hoops to become a citizen, it would make me angry to see others who were here illegally be given amnesty. It makes me angry as a natural born citizen. Do you think it's fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 05:07 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
It obviously bothers some, but I don't know how many. As you state, legal immigrants are upset that they jumped through all of the right hoops, paid money and waited in line for a long time to get here legally.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:21 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timslash View Post
I think... Yes, bother! Legal immigrants(now citizens) are the important part of our society! This people spent a lot of time and a lot of energy to become the citizens. And now, they see, that couple millions of illegals do nothing to obtain citizenship, but they will get it without any movements.
Will they?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timslash View Post
Well, i hope, that people which have influence in government(because i think that we can do nothing in this situation), will stop this amoral act.
I hope so too. It's not right. It's not fair to natural born citizens and it's not fair to legal immigrants.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:14 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I'm not,I'm was born here. But...yeah, I don't feel like I'm entitled to something special cause of that. I understand the extreme conditions why people would risk the trip. I'm pro amnesty for many situations

Old 11-20-2014, 08:24 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I'm not,I'm was born here. But...yeah, I don't feel like I'm entitled to something special cause of that. I understand the extreme conditions why people would risk the trip. I'm pro amnesty for many situations
Exactly. If they find people willing to rent/sell them a place, and people to hire them, then I have no problem with immigration of any kind whatsoever. Voluntary exchange, baby.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If I had jumped through all the necessary hoops to become a citizen, it would make me angry to see others who were here illegally be given amnesty. It makes me angry as a natural born citizen. Do you think it's fair?

The gal that works for me part time is legal, born here in America and she is very upset that illegals are going to be granted immunity.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 AM

144 posts, read 163,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The gal that works for me part time is legal, born here in America and she is very upset that illegals are going to be granted immunity.
If she was born in America she isn't an immigrant. And yes, it bothers legal immigrants for the reasons the OP stated.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:17 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
No, I'm happy to see a resolution to the situation.

I got my citizenship through an H1-b conversion. That takes a lot of skill, education, money, and luck to get through all the "hoops". It's much easier to marry in or convert through a relative; pretty much the only other way of getting citizenship if you are not extremely rich--in which case you can just buy your way in.

I live in an area with many illegals, and, as hard as it was for me to get my citizenship, they clearly have things harder than me. At some point, they had to make a dangerous journey across the border. They work long hours for very little pay and live in tiny overcrowded apartments. I've met many illegals through my church; and the ones who are my friends are respectful, conservative, god-fearing salt-of-the-earth type people.

I don't certainly begrudge them amnesty and the ability to work openly, and I don't see how any citizen--by birth or marriage--who got their citizenship by default, through no merit of their own, can complain.

That said, I do think that there should be a class of green card that cannot be converted to citizenship. Illegals who entered without the proper papers should never be able to vote or hold public office. Some say this would make them "second class citizens" but I think that entering illegally means that you should expect to lose some opportunities. Letting illegals earn non-convertable green cards, so they could never become a voting bloc, would remove some of the political gridlock around the issue.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:23 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
It bothers me to some extent. I took the long and hard road to get here legally - and now millions of people who cheated are going to be rewarded for their dishonesty and criminality. What this does is undermine all the reasons why I did things the right way. It only shows everyone that cheating pays off in the long run and honesty and integrity is just a big PITA that one may as well not bother with.

The ONLY consolation I have is that, at least I was able to live a normal life, go to college, and not throw-up out of fear every time I was stopped by a police officer, wondering if today's the day I'm going to find myself in line for deportation. I could live my life as a free American and not feel like a piece of crap for using this nation's resources for free - I paid taxes, paid into the system like everyone else and didn't have to live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 20 other roommates and work for less than minimum in exchange for hard manual labor.

At least there is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration