Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 6,666 times

Advertisements

Hey Racks,

I would request if you can update us with your experience at both borders. I also don't have a valid passport and wanted to visit Canada. I would appreciate if you have any update about your own travel experience.

Best,
Sials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 AM

24,562 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIAL View Post
Hey Racks,

I would request if you can update us with your experience at both borders. I also don't have a valid passport and wanted to visit Canada. I would appreciate if you have any update about your own travel experience.

Best,
Sials
What is your citizenship?

Old 09-16-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What is your citizenship?
I have GC but my passport is from India.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racks11479 View Post
Thanks for all the information everyone. I've decided that I'm just going to drive across the border and not take any chances with trying to fly to Canada. My trip is in 2 weeks. So once I get back I'll give an update on my experience!

Thanks again!
Racks
Hi Racks,

Please let us know if you were able to travel only with Green Card.

Best,
Nas

Old 09-19-2016, 10:58 AM

24,562 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
I have GC but my passport is from India.
Google Homeland Securities information for GC holders crossing into Canada and the Canadian immigration site for GC holders entering Canada. I do not feel comfortable posting. Why do you not have a passport? You need it for all sorts of things including renewal of GC.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:42 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
A GC is NOT a Passport but only a proof of Legal residency in the US.

I moved to the US from Canada and received a GC and had to register every Jan with my current address while retaining my Canadian Passport in hand. Upon becoming a Citizen I had to return the GC to Immigration but still have my old Passport that has long expired.

A person holding a GC can have it cancelled if they violate US laws and will be Deported.

Do believe that a person with a US GC and their Valid Passport from their home country would allow them to visit Canada and upon returning to the US the GC would permit them reentry as Legal residents.

A phone call or a Google will give a CORRECT answer.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:32 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racks11479 View Post
Hi STT Resident,

Thank you for your reply and I believe you are correct. I've done some more research and came upon the questionnaire below from the Gov't of Canada website: Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

It asks you some basic questions and then determines what and if any documents you would need to visit Canada. Looks like I should be OK to go. Here's the answer to my inquiry.

I hope this helps anyone else in a similar situation as mine. Will post an update after my travels!

Thanks!
Racks
As it appears you are stateless you can obtain a US travel document if you are traveling outside this hemisphere.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Hey Racks,

Best,
Sials
Check on what Canada requires.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:23 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
I have traveled with only a GC between the US and Canada by car without a problem. For flying we used the GC in conjunction with the foreign passport and they stamped it at the border control. Just take both and don't worry.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I have traveled with only a GC between the US and Canada by car without a problem. For flying we used the GC in conjunction with the foreign passport and they stamped it at the border control. Just take both and don't worry.
Hi DKM,

Please let me know if you have travelled to Canada by road recently. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration