Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 11:17 AM

52 posts, read 57,527 times

Advertisements

if people from other countries like Haiti , Africa, Dominican republic, india etc.. are so poor that the come invade the united states for a better life and some to suck up government assistance then how are they getting here in the first place? who is paying their way here to America? and when is enough going to be enough? when their countries are empty??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 12:44 PM

398 posts, read 985,104 times
Quick correction - I believe Indian immigrants are the second richest among all immigrants in the US, after Chinese. Average earning power is significantly higher than average American's. People coming from India and China aren't poor, but highly skilled workers on a temporary visa.

People from other countries may be poor, who come here dreaming of living a decent live. Think about how your ancestors came to the US in the first place. Quite similar, but just that these folks are quite peaceful by nature.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:50 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
Quick correction - I believe Indian immigrants are the second richest among all immigrants in the US, after Chinese. Average earning power is significantly higher than average American's. People coming from India and China aren't poor, but highly skilled workers on a temporary visa.

People from other countries may be poor, who come here dreaming of living a decent live. Think about how your ancestors came to the US in the first place. Quite similar, but just that these folks are quite peaceful by nature.
I hear this reasoning a lot, usually prefaced by some declaration such as "we're ALL immigrants!". I can't speak for the OP, but my ancestors were the pioneers and settlers who built this country, not immigrants who showed up later to suck off of it's greatness. There's a big difference.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:25 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,041 times
You can not generalize this to all immigrants, because as you've stated, the context for immigration during the early years of the US's nationhood differs from that of today. And it will differ tomorrow, because society is fluid and evolves, and its needs are ever-changing.

Not all immigrants "suck off it's greatness." Some immigrants also contribute to the US today, but in different ways. Some are job creators (low-paying and high-paying), others contribute scientifically to knowledge in a variety of fields, which ultimately benefits us all. Many put money back into the system by establishing their lives here, patronizing American businesses, volunteering in local organizations, etc.

Any problems the US currently faces that you might pin on legal immigration, I'd suggest you look into whether any of it may be within native American's ability to control - that would provide the same benefits to our country, to the same degree, as provided by the immigrant in question. If so, either make the personal changes needed, or enact legislation that would do so.

ETA: Just realized it's off-topic. Was just addressing one part of the post above in regards to general legal immigration, not the specific issue in OP.

Last edited by mingna; 11-03-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 11:44 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default Well, we are a city on a hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie32900 View Post
if people from other countries like Haiti , Africa, Dominican republic, india etc.. are so poor that the come invade the united states for a better life and some to suck up government assistance then how are they getting here in the first place? who is paying their way here to America? and when is enough going to be enough? when their countries are empty??
Yah. Africa isn't a country.

& with the possible exception of Cuba (whose relationship with the US is changing anyway), maybe China & a handful of other repressive countries - I don't know that there is any specific federal assistance targeted to help the nationals of Third World countries settle here in the US - other than the usual refugee classification - & that's typically to flee combat or serious political repression. I don't think Haiti, Dominican Republic nor India would qualify under those grounds. Some African countries would, but it would depend on which country we're talking about.

TMK, people travel here by raising money from their family, friends, churches, etc. Or they go into serious debt to a loan shark - sometimes whoever supplies the transportation also finances the travelers - a kind of one-stop shopping for people smuggling. & dangerous because of that.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:15 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
You can not generalize this to all immigrants, because as you've stated, the context for immigration during the early years of the US's nationhood differs from that of today. And it will differ tomorrow, because society is fluid and evolves, and its needs are ever-changing.

Not all immigrants "suck off it's greatness." Some immigrants also contribute to the US today, but in different ways. Some are job creators (low-paying and high-paying), others contribute scientifically to knowledge in a variety of fields, which ultimately benefits us all. Many put money back into the system by establishing their lives here, patronizing American businesses, volunteering in local organizations, etc.

Any problems the US currently faces that you might pin on legal immigration, I'd suggest you look into whether any of it may be within native American's ability to control - that would provide the same benefits to our country, to the same degree, as provided by the immigrant in question. If so, either make the personal changes needed, or enact legislation that would do so.

ETA: Just realized it's off-topic. Was just addressing one part of the post above in regards to general legal immigration, not the specific issue in OP.
I didn't generalize anything about ALL immigrants. Of course, some of them are great people and contribute to our country. I was making the point that my ancestors didn't "immigrate" to this country. My people, Europeans, conquered this land and built it; we're not immigrants. Haitians, Dominicans, Mexicans, etc, are immigrants who have come to this country largely(and often desperately) because they and their people have thus far been incapable of creating prosperous societies for themselves.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:35 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default History, history

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I didn't generalize anything about ALL immigrants. Of course, some of them are great people and contribute to our country. I was making the point that my ancestors didn't "immigrate" to this country. My people, Europeans, conquered this land and built it; we're not immigrants. Haitians, Dominicans, Mexicans, etc, are immigrants who have come to this country largely(and often desperately) because they and their people have thus far been incapable of creating prosperous societies for themselves.
Nah, the legal definition is moving from one country to another, to live in the target place permanently. That makes everybody here immigrants, although the Native People were here first.

Your ancestors may have conquered the people who were already here - although communicable diseases that the NP had no immunities to seem to have done the bulk of the job - but they certainly didn't build the land. Maybe you mean built the towns & cities & roads & other infrastructure?

& of course besides the NP, the Spanish & New Spanish & Mexicans were already here (FL, LA, the now SW US, from TX to CA, parts of CO, NV & so on) along with the French & Dutch - to greet the UK colonists. I'm not sure who else was here then. The UK were the last set of European colonists to arrive in the New World, I believe.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:22 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I hear this reasoning a lot, usually prefaced by some declaration such as "we're ALL immigrants!". I can't speak for the OP, but my ancestors were the pioneers and settlers who built this country, not immigrants who showed up later to suck off of it's greatness. There's a big difference.
What

Did you read what you wrote???

Where do you think these noble "pioneers and settlers" came from?

Old 11-03-2016, 10:28 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,180 times
Do any of you speaking so harshly about immigrants even know what's etched at the feet of the Statue of Liberty and what it means? Good gosh.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:05 PM

424 posts, read 594,225 times
I like how the OP excluded any European nations like there aren't a bunch of Russians and various other European enclaves in NYC that thrive off of public assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration