Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,600 times

Advertisements

To make it short and sweet i was 17 when i got caught smoking weed in public. I was taken in the station, fingerprinted and had to wait for my mom to pick me up. I had teen court a month later and i was to do 16hrs of community service and a drug and alcohol abuse class. After completion my record was to be expunged which it was.

Need some help answering the questions below:

23. Have you EVER been arrested,cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?

I selected yes.

24. Have you ever been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense?

I am confused on what to put here since i really don't know if i was ever charged or not.

25. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?

Not sure what to put for this because of my incident. But i would guess and say "no"? Since i did what they required me to do and my record was cleared?

Also, what would i put as the outcome of my disposition?
No charges filed / charges dismissed?

I don't have any of the documents from that time so i am not exactly sure which one it is. I tired to get a police report but they don't have it. I went to district court and had my record checked and it came out clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,094,267 times
Just say no to all of it. Your juvenile record has been expunged.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,600 times
Indeed it has. But fingerprints never go away. I was told the last thing you do is say no to these if you ever got in trouble just because your record was wiped clean. They will see i had fingerprints taken and call me out for lying and deny my application automatically.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:55 PM

169 posts, read 115,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak23 View Post
Indeed it has. But fingerprints never go away. I was told the last thing you do is say no to these if you ever got in trouble just because your record was wiped clean. They will see i had fingerprints taken and call me out for lying and deny my application automatically.
That's what immigration lawyers are for. Let them do their job. I know it's hard on your wallet but better be safe than sorry. Especially with the current president.

Last edited by asianrocker; 02-01-2017 at 08:55 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 08:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,083,036 times
Do not lie. Immigration goes back forever. If you don't know an answer, write "unsure" or :"do not know." A lie or cover-up can result in a lifetime ban.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:20 PM

42,877 posts, read 26,438,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak23 View Post
Was the arrest in California? If so, any records of misdemeanor marijuana arrests including booking photos and fingerprints are purged and destroyed two years after the arrest. And Juvenile records are not automatically expunged, you have to file for them to be sealed, once you do fingerprint cards, reports, photos etc are all destroyed.

IF it was a California marijuana arrest, or IF your juvenile record was sealed you can legitimately answer "no" to any questions regarding prior arrests

Old 02-02-2017, 05:55 AM

24,776 posts, read 11,140,961 times
This is for ESTA or a visa application. The questions are very clear. Were you ... Yes, you were arrested. Depending on what you are applying for there are waivers.
I worked a lot with back ground checks in the last couple of months. Expunged does not necessarily mean the information is not on file with the right access.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
This is for ESTA or a visa application. The questions are very clear. Were you ... Yes, you were arrested. Depending on what you are applying for there are waivers.
I worked a lot with back ground checks in the last couple of months. Expunged does not necessarily mean the information is not on file with the right access.
Doesn't the application ask if you have been arrested for a crime of moral turpitude? That's what ESTA applications used to say, if so then you can answer no since misdemeanor possession of marijuana is not a crime of moral turpitude

Old 02-02-2017, 09:14 AM

24,776 posts, read 11,140,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Doesn't the application ask if you have been arrested for a crime of moral turpitude? That's what ESTA applications used to say, if so then you can answer no since misdemeanor possession of marijuana is not a crime of moral turpitude
It says "have you ever".

Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It says "have you ever".
Ok I found the application online and this is what it asks:
" Have you ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?" So answer yes and explain the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration