Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,042 times

Advertisements

my dad is deceased, and i dont think i would need a green card since children of us citizens born abroad are generally citizens as well,(jus sanguinis)<

AsianRocker, maybe I like trump the us is a great country and people coming to canada are in for a big surprise, higher taxes,cold as hell for 8 months, the healthcare system sucks and if you are a man well,, get ready for women being able to treat like a mop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 12:38 PM

169 posts, read 115,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltostable View Post
my dad is deceased, and i dont think i would need a green card since children of us citizens born abroad are generally citizens as well,(jus sanguinis)<

AsianRocker, maybe I like trump the us is a great country and people coming to canada are in for a big surprise, higher taxes,cold as hell for 8 months, the healthcare system sucks and if you are a man well,, get ready for women being able to treat like a mop.
Now I have to this on the bolded. I saw a tv episode where Americans go to Canada for free healthcare and cheap pharmacy drugs. What the hell happened?

Old 02-03-2017, 12:51 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:

Yes, but if you are no longer a minor, & your parents did not claim citizenship for you, when born, you may have to go the green card route. Don't rule things out till you know what it entails. I think you should speak/consult a competent immigration lawyer.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:56 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
I remember newspaper clippings about children of US citizens who were on duty out of the US and who were born in a foreign country. Even though the parents were US citizens, the child had to go through getting citizenship papers when their work brought them back into the US.

Maybe things have changed. I'll bet there is a website that will tell you all those general things. There certainly is for Canada and for the United Kingdom.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:25 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
thnak you Lbjen, i live in canada.

I have my fathers birth cert, my parents marriage cert(quebec), well, since he stayed until 18 in the US and I was born in 1967, i think i can apply right? the problem is that i dont have any other proof as my father never aplied for a us passport(and never even became a canadian citizen
You have your Father's birth certificate. That should help with the U.S. info about your father.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
OP, you didn't say whether you were born in Canada or the USA. Even if both your parents are from Mars, you're considered a presumptive US citizen if you were born south of the border. Canadians are always welcome to apply regardless of who their parents are. You're our friendly neighbor to the north. There are no negative stereotypes about Canadians (Bob & Doug McKenzie aside) like the ones about immigrants from Pakistan and (shudder) France.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:42 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
It is more complicated than being born to a US citizen when one is born outside the country:

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship

Old 02-03-2017, 08:13 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I'm assuming Op you were born in Canada? If your father was born in the U.S. and lived here till he was 18, but you were born in Canada, I would assume that you would have dual citizenship between the U.S. and Canada.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
OP's father cannot sponsor him for a green card as he is deceased. OP either has citizenship or has no entitlement to any immigration benefits.

Your father's birth certificate is proof of his citizenship. Anyone with an official US issued birth certificate is a citizen. That's how it works here. Hopefully having a female help you out so that you don't have to do any hard work of your own didn't make you feel like too much of a mop.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Riley's post number four here seems to indicate the OP is not eligible for US citizenship because he/she was born prior to 1986. I'm not sure of Riley's source but on the face of it, the OP does not qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration