Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:09 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,152,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Fingers are crossed. How is your wife holding up?
Super stressed. Same here. It's like everything is slowly inching towards our departure date but it feels like one little butterfly - and everything is going to go upside down.

I mean, I don't really foresee her even needing the travel doc, given we will be coming back to the States at least a couple times a year in 2019 (though the language about being absent for one year is conspicuously vague - is it a year total? consecutive?), but we're definitely going to make sure that every time we travel back here, that she's carrying not only the GC and the letter extending it, but also a copy of my assignment letter with its expiration date, as well as the deed to our house and tax returns as proof of us intending to continue to live in the States. And also, if we don't end up hearing back from Nebraska and not sending back the travel doc, that we also carry a copy of Act 223 that governs reentry permits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Just checked something: both her Travel Document and her I-751 letter were issued on the very same date. So as I read it, the TD is, in fact, valid for two years. Don't see any reason for sending it back.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:08 PM

297 posts, read 166,682 times
If I was you, I'd head to the nearest USCIS office and speak with someone. Insist that you speak to a supervisor. You need to clear up this matter before you travel out.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 PM

We went to the USCIS center in Detroit and actually got a walk-in appointment! The worker to whom we spoke basically told us that as long as we make an appearance in the U.S. every six months or less, we don't even need a travel doc (which, by the way, is still showing up as valid for two years in their system). If it's between six and 12 months, we need a good excuse. So that was somewhat reassuring. So just to be safe, I'm going to have my wife carry a bunch of docs that reinforce our intent to return (my work assignment with an expiration date, our house lease with an expiration date, copy of the deed to our house, tax returns, etc.) any time she travels back to the U.S.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:41 PM

The good thing about the travel document (2 year Reentry Permit) is that you can stay out for up to 2 years without having to come back every 6 months.
Since your wife has a conditional GC with an expiration date, that means her status will expire at that time. If it was a permanent GC, the card expires but not the status.

You also have the letter of extension. Is the expiration of the extension before or after the Reentry Permit expiration?
If before, expect the Reentry Permit to expire on that date. If after, the expiration of the Reentry Permit is the only thing you need to worry about.

When returning to the US, you must present the Reentry Permit at the departing airport at both passport control and airline counter. Purpose being, that's how CBP knows who's coming in and what status they have. Airlines transmit that info to them. Also, an exit stamp from the departing country validates you having been there.
When in the US, present Reentry Permit and GC AND extension letter.
Alternatively, your wife, if time permits, can apply for Global Entry which eliminates the need to see a CBP officer upon entry.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:34 AM

7 posts, read 4,548 times
Global entry will not prevent her from not seeing a CBP officer if her green card is expired.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylveng View Post
Global entry will not prevent her from not seeing a CBP officer if her green card is expired.
Of course not. The assumption is that the GC is fully valid.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:10 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,643,669 times
Anything regarding with the Immigration American Law, NOTHING IS ASSUMABLE ! Consult an immigration attorney for not to be sorry. Be wise.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:33 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Better let USCIS know their documentation is incorrect https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/H...-Chapter5.html
Becoming a citizen (naturalizing) is different than getting a green card (legal permanent resident) - just to clarify, since that's what the OP was asking about.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:37 AM

So, first data point. My wife just traveled to NY for a conference. No problems at JFK - just showed her green card and the letter from USCIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration