Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:32 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times

Advertisements

they also get income tax taking out of their check that they can never claim due to false number
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 AM

242 posts, read 262,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
As an immigrant , I had no issues paying the fees. That has paid for someone's job and I don't think the American tax payer has to pick up the bill.

However, I have a problem with people entering illegally, skipping the lines and not paying fees.

Real asylum cases are exceptions but most of these people are trying to stay here for different reasons, like a better life, like we all want or tried to get. Nothing wrong with that, but come in legally.
I agree. I am American living in Europe and boy!, I have to submit sooo much paper work to get a visa to live here, I have to pay hundreds of euros each year to get my permit to stay renewed. I have friends from Australia and the states who had to go back to their native lands because getting a visa here is out of the consulate's jurisdiction. It is a pain (and expensive) but worth it. If you want to get a real stable job you must have the proper paper work! I can't imagine living a life in hiding. Yes, it can take years to be a full citizen but it worth the hard work in the end and you will be a productive member or society and won't embarrass your children .
I am just mind boggled by the mentality of some illegal immigrants in the states who want to get a drivers license, go to the university, and be treated like an American...omg, if I did this in the country I am living in they will laugh in my face!

Old 11-30-2018, 10:59 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
As an immigrant , I had no issues paying the fees. That has paid for someone's job and I don't think the American tax payer has to pick up the bill.

However, I have a problem with people entering illegally, skipping the lines and not paying fees.

Real asylum cases are exceptions but most of these people are trying to stay here for different reasons, like a better life, like we all want or tried to get. Nothing wrong with that, but come in legally.
I suspect that every legal immigrant feels the same - as do the vast majority of citizens. I know my wife, a legal immigrant does.

My objections come when 'big' corporations sponsor immigrants for jobs in the US which takes those opportunities away from citizens. The company I work for probably has several hundred thousand employees in the US and every day, I see more employees from India and other countries coming here to work. These aren't highly specialized jobs either beyond the typical finance/IT/sourcing/hr-type jobs. These aren't jobs that Americans won't do...these are jobs where the company can save $10k to $20k a year with someone else from outside the US. We read about those fairly often - "I had to train the guy taking my job" seems to be a common theme.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
I agree. I am American living in Europe and boy!, I have to submit sooo much paper work to get a visa to live here, I have to pay hundreds of euros each year to get my permit to stay renewed. I have friends from Australia and the states who had to go back to their native lands because getting a visa here is out of the consulate's jurisdiction. It is a pain (and expensive) but worth it. If you want to get a real stable job you must have the proper paper work! I can't imagine living a life in hiding. Yes, it can take years to be a full citizen but it worth the hard work in the end and you will be a productive member or society and won't embarrass your children .
I am just mind boggled by the mentality of some illegal immigrants in the states who want to get a drivers license, go to the university, and be treated like an American...omg, if I did this in the country I am living in they will laugh in my face!
I worked in the Netherlands for about six months in the late 80's . It was kind of painful getting a work permit and I had to check into the local police station every six weeks or so. It wasn't fun but I complied!

When my wife arrived in the US, it was with a green card already issued. The moment we could submit her paperwork to apply for citizenship, we did. Her view was that if I work here and pay taxes here, I want to have a vote to express my voice as a citizen. Sadly, too many have no interest in becoming a citizen. That's fair - if they're working for economic gain, I support them as long as they're not taking a job from someone else. That's the changes which need to occur. Hell, we've been having this conversation for years so I'm not holding my breath that something will change.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they also get income tax taking out of their check that they can never claim due to false number
That's assuming that their employer isn't paying them under the table. Many employers have hoops that employees have to jump through to prove they're here legally. My wife has changed jobs four times after her initial job and in every single one, she either had to provide her green card or her US Passport. I think it's the small businesses that employee illegals.

Heck, I had to show my US Passport to my company a few years ago. I guess they were audited and everyone had to prove residency. That was after 25+ years as an employee. lol

Old 11-30-2018, 11:35 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
That's assuming that their employer isn't paying them under the table. Many employers have hoops that employees have to jump through to prove they're here legally. My wife has changed jobs four times after her initial job and in every single one, she either had to provide her green card or her US Passport. I think it's the small businesses that employee illegals.

Heck, I had to show my US Passport to my company a few years ago. I guess they were audited and everyone had to prove residency. That was after 25+ years as an employee. lol
There is no such thing as proving residency. An employer has to comply with Form I9 requirements.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There is no such thing as proving residency. An employer has to comply with Form I9 requirements.
Sorry...I phrased it incorrectly not having looked at it in several years.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 AM

827 posts, read 660,338 times
I have no idea why the American government alllows these illegals to get away with it. If control of the border was turned over to The American people we would end it real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration