Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 03:38 PM

405 posts, read 257,748 times

Advertisements

I know this is absurd, but at some point I lost my certificate of naturalization. I had removed it from the frame it was in to use as proof of citizenship for a job I applied for years ago and it wasn't until much later that I couldn't locate it. I hadn't replaced it because I never plan to leave the country and after being here for 50 years without ever needing to show it, plus the $555 replacement fee. Anyway, I recently decided to replace it, but it requires my alien number. I don't have that since it was on my green card and I never kept that after I became a citizen. I have had multiple moves and a flood since losing it so I know I don't have it anywhere.

So I am in a bind. I just filled out a Freedom of Information request with the INS for my file, but it too asks for my alien number. I'm thinking of leaving it blank with an explanation.

I know my shoddy care of my certificate will draw fire, but believe me it was my proudest possession. I feel like a real jerk. What to do, what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 PM

24,596 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Have you contacted the employer you needed it for the I9 for? Have you updated your information with Social Security and can retrieve it through that route?

I am shooting blanks here.

Not trying to be nosy - what do you need it for?

Old 12-04-2018, 07:13 PM

405 posts, read 257,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

Not trying to be nosy - what do you need it for?

I'm turning 62 in January and was filling out the application for SS. They needed the date I was naturalized - apart from the year and month I drew a blank on day, INS wouldn't give that to me without filing a Freedom of Info for my file.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:41 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,916,532 times
Similar thing happened to my friend several years ago. She moved a lot, a trunk was stolen at one point, she didn't think about safe boxes, etc. At any rate, I remember she went to the US Citizenship office in DC. You may find one in whatever your area is. Going in person was so much better in dealing with the people she felt.

The date was significant but she did find that.

She eventually contacted an immigration lawyer who was American since she had trouble with accents. She just wanted him to smooth the way and it really wasn't very expensive then.

She did have to travel to DC for that too.

I can't recall every step but she actually had to go through a process all over again, although much quicker. She had a little picture taken, sent in paperwork a couple of times because it got lost, and in the end raised her hand and pledged allegiance. She told the woman she already did that a few years ago and just wanted the paperwork but she was told they had to do some of the process all over again, although at a fast rate.

Now, that said, it could be very different nowadays. That was about 20 years ago. but may give you some ideas.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:03 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
But why do you want a replacement certificate, besides for emotional reasons? If you have a US passport, that's good enough to prove your citizenship status.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:55 AM

24,596 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
But why do you want a replacement certificate, besides for emotional reasons? If you have a US passport, that's good enough to prove your citizenship status.
You have to notify Socicial Security Administration of your change of status after Naturalization. The original certificate is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration