Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 05:24 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,892,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You sound a bit paranoid. Immigrant here.
ICE is operating like gangbusters in multiple states, has made multiple mistakes trying to deport American born CITIZENS with papers and you think he's paranoid?

Read the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 05:38 AM

7,957 posts, read 9,167,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

I’m her boyfriend

Her intent is what matters to immigration.
My apologies. Reading comprehension isn't too good early in the morning!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:16 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Getting a lawyer does nothing. You’re wasting money to pay for something that you can do yourself for free and with some google searches. I’m America]n and my wife is Romanian, we did the K1 and never needed any lawyer and are currently waiting for the green card interview.

God forbid something goes wrong or becomes complicated, then I would hire an immigration attorney.
My wife is from Denmark. She came in on a K1 and we got married two months later. There was never any problem. (and no stigma). I just helped a person figure out the K1 process and they are now married and just got her green card. She is from the Philippines. No attorney needed, and no issues with any social stigma as far as I know. Everyone I know is happy for them. Just follow the instructions carefully.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:19 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,344,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
My wife is from Denmark. She came in on a K1 and we got married two months later. There was never any problem. (and no stigma). I just helped a person figure out the K1 process and they are now married and just got her green card. She is from the Philippines. No attorney needed, and no issues with any social stigma as far as I know. Everyone I know is happy for them. Just follow the instructions carefully.
How long did the K1 take to get approved / processed?

After the K1 and after your marriage, how long was it until she was able to work?

Old 04-01-2019, 11:09 AM

834 posts, read 1,018,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBratty View Post
Wow, thanks for the heads up Sherlock. You get what you pay for.
You're extremely wise to some subject just nobody has figured out which yet...

I'll try to state some more politically incorrect truth to make older people feel spry more often...

Old 04-01-2019, 11:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,238,304 times
Don't be naive. You know her best and there's a chance she is as you describe but a great many young women in these impoverished countries aspire to have an American husband as it is the only pathway to residence and citizenship in the US. And rule #1 of the How To Get An American Husband guide is to not scare him off early, to make it seem like marriage is the very last thing on your mind.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:49 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
Quote:
How long did the K1 take to get approved / processed?

After the K1 and after your marriage, how long was it until she was able to work?
It has been a while for us, but it took about 2 or 3 months. She had to see a doctor and have certain tests. She had an interview at the US Embassy too. I was visiting at the time so I was there while the interview happened. We were married in October of that year and she had her first green card (2 year one) in January.

The person I helped advise was more recent. It was a similar process, but I do not recall how long they waited. It didn't seem to be longer. I will have to ask them. It did take about a year to finally get the first green card.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:56 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,344,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It has been a while for us, but it took about 2 or 3 months. She had to see a doctor and have certain tests. She had an interview at the US Embassy too. I was visiting at the time so I was there while the interview happened. We were married in October of that year and she had her first green card (2 year one) in January.

The person I helped advise was more recent. It was a similar process, but I do not recall how long they waited. It didn't seem to be longer. I will have to ask them. It did take about a year to finally get the first green card.
I'm hearing a bunch of horror stories of these K1s and CR1s taking upwards to 10-14 months. That's what worries me about the process.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 AM

24,613 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Quote:
I'm hearing a bunch of horror stories of these K1s and CR1s taking upwards to 10-14 months. That's what worries me about the process.
https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/historic-pt

Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,168,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
ICE is operating like gangbusters in multiple states, has made multiple mistakes trying to deport American born CITIZENS with papers and you think he's paranoid?

Read the news.
To be fair the paranoia being referenced was the stigma applied by other Americans,not the actions of government and policing agencies. And in the cases if a spouse comes from a nation that Americans classify as third world, or former Soviet Bloc then the stigma will apply.

Basically that the American got someone above their class by buying an immigrant spouse. And if a permanent resident card to work in order to send money to the real family back in her country of origin wasn't a part of immigration then there never would have been a marriage.

Some go further with the thought that the immigrant is a prostitute with one customer and is here to get more than just money, but to also get citizenship just to start the chain of family unification visas for as many of the extended clan back home that she can sponsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration